Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

wait for af or go army

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bballr4567
On the DEP issue, as long as he has not sworn in at MEPS you can get out of it. The recruiter will act like you have done something wrong but you havent agreed to crap yet except to learn the basics about the branch you are joining. If you want to go back in after you get out just go talk with the recruiter again. Every branch is hurting for numbers so no way will they turn you away especially with high ASVAB numbers.
Let's clarify this, because I think what is confusing people is that you swear in at MEPS TWICE and sign contracts TWICE. You swear in and sign a contract when you go to MEPS the first time, and as stated this is the letter of intent type deal. At this point you are still free to go. When you go back to MEPS to actually ship out you swear in again and sign the same contract one more time, at this point you are in and they now own you.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jperran
Let's clarify this, because I think what is confusing people is that you swear in at MEPS TWICE and sign contracts TWICE. You swear in and sign a contract when you go to MEPS the first time, and as stated this is the letter of intent type deal. At this point you are still free to go. When you go back to MEPS to actually ship out you swear in again and sign the same contract one more time, at this point you are in and they now own you.
Exactly. That is what I was thinking. I knew I swore in twice and signed a "contract" twice. The second time is ALL that matters.
Old 08-22-2008, 02:51 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jperran
+1 for BigT
Old 08-22-2008, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't know if it's been mentioned but whatever school (AFSC or MOS) you are aiming for with a recruiter,get it as a written guarantee. Otherwise,they can put you in whatever field they need the most;the same will happen if you somehow don't pass the course.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Teching In

The first wensday of september jobs come out again so hopefully something will come out. Not to worried about promotions cause i'm good at test and i'm going in as a airmen 3. Are the general areas really that bad? Seems pretty much like the af is what is really supported too. Thanks just needed people to put in thier two cents didn't expect this many responses so thanks to all of you.
Old 08-23-2008, 07:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shandy294
Don't know if it's been mentioned but whatever school (AFSC or MOS) you are aiming for with a recruiter,get it as a written guarantee. Otherwise,they can put you in whatever field they need the most;the same will happen if you somehow don't pass the course.
Doesn't matter if you've got a contract or not. There is a clause in EVERY BRANCHES paperwork that says needs of the service provided, they can reclassify you into what ever job they desire. The contract is to make you feel warm and fuzzy.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Duffster
Doesn't matter if you've got a contract or not. There is a clause in EVERY BRANCHES paperwork that says needs of the service provided, they can reclassify you into what ever job they desire. The contract is to make you feel warm and fuzzy.
That's a sensational way of putting it man. Sure, the branch can ultimately tell you what you are going to be, but 99.9999% of the time you are going to get the job thats on the contract. The recruiter isn't going to have the job to give you and MEPS wont send him a contract for a job they don't need. It absolutely does matter if he has a guaranteed job or not.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

It all deponds on each persons MOS or navy calls it Rate.. The whole thing was AF vs Army. Not Navy.. but since that has been brought up about the Navy. I know people that have been in 7yrs and are E7 Chiefs but they are in the NUC field. I have been all over the world and had lots of fun to say the least. But again it was AF vs Army.. Advancement in the Army is a lot better than AF and even Navy right now depending on MOS. Quaility at life depends on the base/post you are on. The Navy bases I have been stationed on where not bad at all, I have been on Army bases in Hawaii and they are NICE, FT. Bragg last time I was there was so so. I am on a AF base and its a so so base nothing to brag about.

My bother was going to join the AF and they kept giving him the run around about how long to wait for his job. First it was 6mo then 6mo again then they told him he would have to wait 9 more so he told them to kick rocks and he joined the Navy and has been in for 2 years and is a E5 already.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fastTransAm
he joined the Navy and has been in for 2 years and is a E5 already.
Thats retarded. e5 is supposed to be a leadership role. Two years in the military and you are still a newb.

Thats why the corps sends all prior service to boot camp again when they want to join a real military branch. A Cpl in the Marines is equal to an sgt in the army.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss1129
Thats retarded. e5 is supposed to be a leadership role. Two years in the military and you are still a newb.

Thats why the corps sends all prior service to boot camp again when they want to join a real military branch. A Cpl in the Marines is equal to an sgt in the army.
I agree its retarded to be a NCO within 2 years. But without prior knowledge of that person its kinda ignorant to say they can't be a great leader. Hell as an E-3 I was more respected than the O-3's I was working with at Ramstein. Wasn't about bossing anyone around, it was knowing what the hell I was talking about and thinking outside the box for the best solution possible. Then again, my job doesn't revolve around rank so much as it does about knowledge. Always honor their rank, but it takes a lot to respect the person.

Getting back on track with the thread though....AF still
Old 08-25-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1fastTransAm
he joined the Navy and has been in for 2 years and is a E5 already.
my sister-in-law has been in the navy for 4 years and is still an E-4..... then again she is in that meccap program or whatever where they are paying her to finish her degree, get her RN and comission.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:43 AM
11 Second Club

<---Nuclear Electrician
Old 08-25-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well last time I checked an E-5 was an E-5. A cpl in the marines isn't equal to a a sgt in the army....
Old 08-26-2008, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Im a recruiter in the Airforce so let me clear this up,

First, the recruiter does not get you your job. that is all done at operations.

second, Dont wait for a medical job cause your not going to get one unless you know somebody, and that somebody better be a 0-6 or above.

if you want a medical job you will have to leave on the aptitude index area. G-43 or G-58. thats the only way. Ive been doing this job for 2 years and No-one has gotten a medical job. there have been a few "floaters" but in 2 years we are talking 5 jobs that Ive "heard" about.

third and this is the most important.

you are signing up to be in the Airforce and serve your country. what do you think you are going to be doing the other 14-16 hours of the day when your not working your job in the Airforce that you deffinitly would not be doing as a civilian.

Im going to cut to the chase. You need the Airforce. there are very few people that know what they want to do for the rest of their life, nevermind for 4 years. Get in, enjoy the ride and remember why you went to your recruiter in the first place. I doubt it was to get a medical job.

Try walking into a hospital and demanding a medical job.......... or any workplace for that matter.

Next time thank your recruiter. the job we do is a great job and the reward is seeing people like you become succesfull in the Airforce and to be able to spread the word like the other people on this forum.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

what about xraying something bigger like lets say planes?
Old 08-26-2008, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ruckus46Gt
what about xraying something bigger like lets say planes?
NDT (Non-Destructive Testing). . . more training!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 496rat
Im a recruiter in the Airforce so let me clear this up,

second, Dont wait for a medical job cause your not going to get one unless you know somebody, and that somebody better be a 0-6 or above.

if you want a medical job you will have to leave on the aptitude index area. G-43 or G-58. thats the only way. Ive been doing this job for 2 years and No-one has gotten a medical job. there have been a few "floaters" but in 2 years we are talking 5 jobs that Ive "heard" about.

If this is the case, how is it that I have 30-60 airmen every week coming in from basic for medical AFSC's.....I consistanly have 700-800 airmen in house daily learning medical AFSC's.....I don't buy it for a second that there are no medical jobs available.

Jack
Old 08-27-2008, 06:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by EndlessSummer85
Well last time I checked an E-5 was an E-5. A cpl in the marines isn't equal to a a sgt in the army....
Your right. A Sgt in the Army is equal to a PFC in the Marines...because thats what they become if they switch to the Marines. However if you switch from Marines to Army you are almost guaranteed a rank.

Thats a fact.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Your not gonna get promoted if you switch from the marines the the Army. They may even take rank depending on how long you have been out. I transfered from the AF to Army and went through WTC with people from every branch. Some got to keep their rank, and some got knocked down. Depends on what job they took and how long they were out.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your right. A Sgt in the Army is equal to a PFC in the Marines...because thats what they become if they switch to the Marines. However if you switch from Marines to Army you are almost guaranteed a rank.

Thats a fact.
I'd like to see that in writing, because I honestly think you're talking out of your ***.

Quick Reply: wait for af or go army