Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

wait for af or go army

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wait for af or go army

Alright so i'm already in the delayed entry program for the af but i have been told that the chance of getting a medical job isn't very good and that it will take a long time it has been 3 months waiting and i'm wondering if i shouldn't just go army because i've been told that they can get a medical job for sure but is that true and is it worth the difference in quality of life?
Old 08-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Teching In

Dude, wait for the AF, or just go into a different career field. WTF do you want a med job for anyway? Quality of life is just the tip of the iceburg when talking AF vs. Army.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Banned

What do you want to do specifically? Do you want a combat medical job? Because unless you are a TACP or a PJ in the air force you arent going to see much combat. If you want quality of life it isnt even close dude, wait for the AF.

But keep in mind regular enlisted medical jobs in the military are doing paperwork, signing people in for their appointments, and taking blood pressure and **** like that.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Teching In

I want medical to atleast get started so i can do college and go the courses with a idea of what is going on. Plus it seems like it would be one of the better paying jobs outside of the air force because i really want to do x ray tech which is certified in the civilan side. I have been offered mechanic alot because i got a 93 on that part of the test but i don't think its what i want for the every day job.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I am an MTL for the Medical training squadron here at Sheppard. I can tell you for a fact that X-ray is extremely difficult to get into, and the slots are thin to say the least. I have over 700 airmen daily in 15 different medical career fields. I think you should push your recruiter a bit harder for a medical job, they are out there.

As far as Army Vs. AF, I have 2 NCO's right now that are ex-army that crossed over, what does that tell you? I will not knock the Army, it takes a special type of person to lead that lifestyle, but I will say that our quality of life is way better.

If your electronic/mechanical scores are high, look at Biomedical Equipment Repair Tech (BMET). You fix all the medical equipment, and has a very good market on the civilian side.

Jack
Old 08-20-2008, 04:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jperran
What do you want to do specifically? Do you want a combat medical job? Because unless you are a TACP or a PJ in the air force you arent going to see much combat. If you want quality of life it isnt even close dude, wait for the AF.

But keep in mind regular enlisted medical jobs in the military are doing paperwork, signing people in for their appointments, and taking blood pressure and **** like that.
*cough* Combat Control *cough*

And why do you want to do medical brah? I will tell you right now that every medical person I know in the AF only did it for the hours and to work with the hot chicks. Outside that you get made fun of by 80% of your peers who are busting their asses on the flightline, guys pulling 15 hour days, and those of us who have "hands on" with the mission. Unless you get a specific job like in the lab, pharmacy, or something like that....your the bitch that gives me food after surgery and makes sure my meds are working. Thats it.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:56 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by babydeuce
I am an MTL for the Medical training squadron here at Sheppard. I can tell you for a fact that X-ray is extremely difficult to get into, and the slots are thin to say the least. I have over 700 airmen daily in 15 different medical career fields. I think you should push your recruiter a bit harder for a medical job, they are out there.

As far as Army Vs. AF, I have 2 NCO's right now that are ex-army that crossed over, what does that tell you? I will not knock the Army, it takes a special type of person to lead that lifestyle, but I will say that our quality of life is way better.

If your electronic/mechanical scores are high, look at Biomedical Equipment Repair Tech (BMET). You fix all the medical equipment, and has a very good market on the civilian side.

Jack
Some very good suggestions right there. Push the recruiter harder, that BMET would be quite lucrative in the real world. No question after seeing & talking to AF personnel, quality of life is much better in the AF.

Originally Posted by BigT2002
....................... I will tell you right now that every medical person I know in the AF only did it for the hours and to work with the hot chicks. .....................................
Dood, you say that like it's a bad thing. Doesn't sound half bad to me.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jperran
And giving enemas, rodding guys with kidney stones and bung hole checks for physicals.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My advice is to stay your course for now. You have a goal in mind and have to get there some way. If the AF can't put you into your desired career field then look elsewhere. You have to do right by yourself first when you enlist. After that it's God and Country before self while your in.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Id wait for the Air Force man, unless you want to see combat a lot. It seems that you want a nice cushy job that will allow you to take college courses and set you up for your future, so go AF. You probably will get made fun of, I know I made fun of all the med guys but I sure would love to have a nice cushy chair, ac, a dry enviroment and a **** load of hotties running around all day.

On that note, med ladies love the crew chiefs
Old 08-20-2008, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BRO, WAIT FOR THE AIR FORCE!!!!!!!! WAIT FOR THE AIR FORCE!! the quality of life in the AIR FORCE is so much better especially working with the army.

IF I HAD TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN, I WILL TELL YOU TO DEFINITELY TRY AND GET IN THE MEDICAL FIELD!!! they get taken care of. they rarely deploy and when they do its not f*cked up us security force cops. GO AIR FORCE and GET IN MEDICAL.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Being in the Army for the last 15yrs I would say wait on the AF. I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but damn it looks green over there.. All I know is the promotions in the AF are said to be slower.

Either way, thanks for choosing to serve our country.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Awake455

Dood, you say that like it's a bad thing. Doesn't sound half bad to me.
I'll take my pride than working with prudes

Originally Posted by PotentialZ28

On that note, med ladies love the crew chiefs
Or ROMADS I think of the 8 guys I work out with from the 682ASOS, they are either married to the docs or to the paralegals

Originally Posted by 99taws6
Being in the Army for the last 15yrs I would say wait on the AF. I know the grass is always greener on the other side, but damn it looks green over there.. All I know is the promotions in the AF are said to be slower.
Theres your answer right there
Old 08-20-2008, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Go Army.. I am Navy on a AF base and their advancement is SLOWWWWWWWWWW.. to say the least. so many things that blow my mind about the AF..
Old 08-20-2008, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Airmen may work with hot chicks, but they are all being fucked by Marines. Do you really need the airforce to be an x-ray tech? You should just go reserves and grab the gi bill for reserves and go to school. You dont sound like the military type.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1fastTransAm
Go Army.. I am Navy on a AF base and their advancement is SLOWWWWWWWWWW.. to say the least. so many things that blow my mind about the AF..
You of course have ot meet certain time requirements, but it requires a lot more studying than anything in the AF. We promoted 43% of eligible E4's to E5 this year in the AF. It's really not that bad.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:24 PM
11 Second Club

Can't believe 1FastTA didn't say Navy. . .good advancement, good travel, training good for most jobs.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

After 24 years in the USAF, I definitely have a mindset. Quality of life is defnitely better in the AF. If you apply yourself, the advancement opportunities are there, though possibly slower than some of the other services. That may be because more people stay in the USAF too. Good opportunities for training and college education while you serve too. I know things have changed since I retired, but I still gotta like a service where the enlisted send the officers off to fight instead of the other way around. If medical is not available, consider one of the computer fields too. Lots of good training and opportunities when you are done serving too.

Best of luck to you and thanks for signing up whatever service you go to.

Pat
USAF
Chief Master Sergeant (Ret)
Old 08-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Launching!

dude i'm ex army now air force reserve... what does that say... that i would join another branch to get the hell away from the army... pretty much means i saw how much respect you get in the air force as opposed to the army where unless your a 4 star CG your gonna be somebodies bitch...seriously stay with what your doing now by the way don't you think civilian air plane mechanics make bank? maybe not as much as a doctor but it's prolly not as stressful or as demanding
Old 08-20-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1fastTransAm
REALLY?? Then why am I an E-5 and my best friend thats USN is still an E-4? We are the only branch, to my knowledge, that puts the entire promotion on the shoulders of the individual. Sure EPRs, TIS, TIG, and decs help but if you know your job and the AF way of doing crap you will be surprised how quick you can move up. If I had 3 more years TIS (which is when I would be testing for E-6) I would of made Tech first time through as a E-4 thats how much I rocked those tests and I rarely studied. Its NOT THAT HARD TO GET PROMOTED!

Quick Reply: wait for af or go army