Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Got seperation orders... MEB'd

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Got seperation orders... MEB'd

I got boarded for asthma. I never had it before I PCS'd here.

Anyway.. I'm just nervous as all hell. I was a wreck yesterday when I opened my work email to find that.. DOS = 8 OCT.. Multiple people in the squadron I have talked to are shocked that this happened.. I just had the ground pulled out from underneath me. I JUST bought a house, the G/F left me, and now this??

It's obviously SUCH a damn problem considering I run my 5K's faster than half the damn squadron. THere's people that STAY broke, and there's people that aren't worth the air they breathe, and they keep them in... I've got a spotless record, flawless EPR's, MSG NCO of the quarter AND I saved a contractor's life on base a couple months ago.. -He coud have easily died. Found him on the back part of base unconscious laying out of his truck baking in the hot sun.

Meh... I applied for a Performance Tech slot at the local CHEV dealership. But if that doesn't work out, everyone always needs a heavy equipment operator.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There is an appeal process, and it can take up to a year. I would see the ADC and fight it to the max. What are they offering you for severance?

Jack
Old 09-04-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Veteran

^ It could make things worse. The people I would see, the only thing they are interested in is f***ing you... -I've asked around.. I'm non deployable, and if you can't deploy they want you out. It's done do0d.. I've already got orders.. It's bitter sweet.. The BS aroudn here has just gotten WAY out of hand. The leadership in this SQ is terrible. Nite_Hawk can vouch for that. THe way I see it too, this was in the cards for this to happen, so I just have to make the best of it. GOnna try to pursue the dream of LSx modification. I gotta get into it some how.

No idea as far as severance, around $32K, I'm expecting to see 19k after the AF taxes the s**t out of it.

I'm getting 10% disability from the MIL, but with my back problems and knee problems, VA may give me 50%.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

**** that man, if you want to stay call your Congressman and demand they take action. There is no reason that you should leave because you got asthama, it can be waived and with our current state of affairs we do not need to be losing valuable service members, especially good NCO's. If you can run your PT test above standard and your asthma isnt affecting your work you should be able to stay.

I have used my Congressman before and they get stuff done no doubt, so if there is a way to stay in that is the way to go. I urge you to call him/her and give it a shot, you may be suprised on what they can do for you and they can get things done in a hurry. Those orders can be trashed easily and a physical exam done and a waiver done if needed. Its worth it if the service can hold onto a good NCO.

Last edited by brad8266; 09-04-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

^ exactly...I love the mil and its been a good ride but these are the things I ******* hate hearing about. I saw a few of my good buddies get forced out during the whole force shaping thing and others that coundn't get there CJR and the AF would not allow them to say in....but on the other hand you had ******* giant dirt bag pieces of **** that didn't deserve to breathe the air around them. The dip ***** were staying in and what gets me is some of them wanted to get out...but no, they keep the piles. I'm only a SSgt but last year I took my power to the fullest and got one of my piles kicked out. I loved it. He is now a Mr. And prob a pile somewhere else but at least not in the Mil.

Sorry for the rant. I just get pissed when I hear these things. Bayer, good luck to you. I hope you can figure something out.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes the military is very good at screwing over excellent soldiers while always keeping the bad ones around and even give them perks. I myself was an excellent soldier when I was on active duty, I was soldier of the year, max pt test, SF candidate, so on so forth. Everything was good until I switched companies within the battalion and my new company commander didnt like me for whatever reason and had it out for me from the start.

He dicked around with me so much that I decided to get out rather than stay in. This fucktard wouldnt even allow me to take army tuition assistance so i could go to school. So they lost a decent guy yet that company kept all of the known drug users in even though they pissed hot. This one kid used to smoke a blunt before the **** test hoping they would throw him out but nope they kept him. The funny thing was they gave him the easiest jobs to do. If it wasnt for one retard CPT I would probably still be active.

I guess it worked out Ok though, I got my bachelors degree and I went back in the reserves 2 years ago and I have my own little business and I might be going AGR soon too.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:23 PM
11 Second Club

isnt asthma actually waiverable? I remember hearing it was prior to even giving in its just a pain in the *** process so most of the time recruiters just ask you again if you are sure you have it. I know you've been in for a while but if they allow it prior to getting in no reason you should be able to fight it.
Also to help your fight look up olympic runners with asthma i remember reading in muscle mag a few years back that its like 40 percent of olympic runners have asthma and that its is better for distance because of the extra oxygen you consume or something like that (talking about controlable asthma which from the sounds of it you have). Hope that helps good luck
Old 09-04-2008, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Asthma is non waiverable for an accession and is a disqualifier for retention as well. While there may not be a waiver available you need to ensure that you indeed have asthma in the first place. I would start by having another doctor check you for asthma. For it to all of a sudden pop up at your age isnt so common so get double checked if you havent yet.

How often have you had attacks?
Old 09-04-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

^ Maybe once every two months... I've been tested at the Army Medical Center in El Paso.. That's how they got the diagnosis, but apparently I reacted to the saline inhalation. That's what they mentioned on the MED Discharge paperwork.

Originally Posted by brad8266
Yes the military is very good at screwing over excellent soldiers while always keeping the bad ones around and even give them perks. I myself was an excellent soldier when I was on active duty, I was soldier of the year, max pt test, SF candidate, so on so forth. Everything was good until I switched companies within the battalion and my new company commander didnt like me for whatever reason and had it out for me from the start.

He dicked around with me so much that I decided to get out rather than stay in. This fucktard wouldnt even allow me to take army tuition assistance so i could go to school. So they lost a decent guy yet that company kept all of the known drug users in even though they pissed hot. This one kid used to smoke a blunt before the **** test hoping they would throw him out but nope they kept him. The funny thing was they gave him the easiest jobs to do. If it wasnt for one retard CPT I would probably still be active.

I guess it worked out Ok though, I got my bachelors degree and I went back in the reserves 2 years ago and I have my own little business and I might be going AGR soon too.
Exactly.. I don't want any part of this corruption any more... They'll miss me, and I told one of my old boss' today (on mid tour from Korea) that I guarantee this shop will fall to **** with out me there fixing stuff.. As far as the AUX equip goes.. Cripes, they POS's won't even change the rubber curtains on the pick up heads for the sweepers! I spent all day doing wear maintenance. ON 1 SWEEPER out of 4!! I told my old boss that I don't blame him for how he used to be.. I see now... ESPECIALLY if you have a shop full of **** heads.. I had to jump a couple people that tried to pull one over on me..

And I went off on our SMSGT and told him that this new EPR system isn't going to fix anything! It'll get the fat people out, but it all boils down to the RATER'S personal integrity... Every one's a 5 now days, and if you give someone a 4, you're hurting them BIG TIME! I should REALLY give my troop a 4 for a certain section of his CRO EPR, but it will screw him out of a Separation/PCS DEC... He's is SERIOUSLY a great troop, but he's not Mr. Air Force.. Firewall 5 = Mr. Air Force. My last EPR Closed out 15 July, my RO gave me a firewall 5 and you know what??? I really don't think I deserved it... I like to think I'm a great troop, but again, I'm not Mr. AF.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 09-04-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

So once every 2 months, are the attacks exercise or stress induced?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry to hear about it, Bayer. There are a lot of turds in the mil but I was probably considered one by some others. The good NCOs and officers really shine because there aren't too many. They can get even a lot of the ****-ups(dopers and others)to work for them.

That maint .situation is sad. When I got to Huachuca in 71 you couldn't get a truck out the motor pool because of the lower echelon gigs. A career (10 yr Sp5) guy and I got all of that **** taken care of...they'd breeze right through the motor pool inspection.

Good luck in your future pursuits.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm goign to miss the MIL... In some ways..
Old 09-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^

No idea as far as severance, around $32K, I'm expecting to see 19k after the AF taxes the s**t out of it.

I'm getting 10% disability from the MIL, but with my back problems and knee problems, VA may give me 50%.
If you've agreed with the findings of the IPEB then you may be screwed. If you didn't sign anything yet then you can fight it at the FPEB.

Your severance pay will be taxed initially. You can get the money back from the IRS after you are officially rated by the VA for the condition. What sucks is that you won't get paid by the VA for your asthma until the 32K is offset by what you'd be getting in VA payments for your asthma. You will begin getting paid by the VA for any other conditions they rate you for since the Army is only kicking you out for astma. It gets complicated.

Go to www.pebforum.com. The site is ran by a former Army JAG who has handled a huge number of Army MEB cases. He can tell you exactly what you need to do at this point.

I was sure I was getting kicked out for asthma last year when I went through my MEB/IPEB. My asthma is pretty bad and is actually bad enough that I'd get a 60% rating on just it from the VA. But they returned me to duty.

I was also sent to the MEB and ultimately the IPEB for leg problems. Although at the time I couldn't run 1.5 miles to save my life, I was returned to duty. Partially why I was returned to duty was due to my CC's leter. She said I was fully worldwide qualified and had no problems physically. She flat out lied when she wrote that letter because at the time that was totally untrue. I had certain technical skills that couldn't be replaced at the time so she did what she had to do to keep me in. For better or for worse I haven't yet decided.

Good luck to you,
Chris

Last edited by Chris2000Formula; 09-05-2008 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Forgot something related
Old 09-05-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^Great advice from someone who has been through the same ordeal. Go fight it bayer.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by brad8266
So once every 2 months, are the attacks exercise or stress induced?
No idea... THey happen whenever.. Usually if I'm laughing REALLY hard, I'll have an attack,, I did ONCE after PT when I was coughing like crazy, but that was it..

Quick Reply: Got seperation orders... MEB'd