Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Camera Guru come on in

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camera Guru come on in

I recently purchased a Canon XTi (400D) SLR Camera to get into photography. With the camera I chose the EFS 18-55mm lens. This lens has worked well for me, but upon reading some reviews on lens, this lens apparently doesn't maximize the camera capabilities for image quality. So basically I'm in the market for a new/used lens. I will mostly be shooting landscape/scenery and using the camera for my car. A few things I would like would be:
-To find a lens with a decent zoom but nothing outrageous (300mm is fine but not needed)
-Image stabilization
-Reasonably priced new/used (>$500)
-An all around multifunctional lens that maximizes the Canon's capabilities

Any information that anyone would be willing to pass on is greatly appreciated, whether it be on which lens to purchase or what exactly lens specs like this mean ( 28-300mm, f4.6-5). Remember I'm a newbie at this.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a Nikon guy, so I don't know a lot about Canon lenses. I can say that my 18-55mm VR lens is spectacular, takes really sharp and crisp pictures. Most of my car pictures were taken with that lens (you can see my photos through the website in my sig). Besides the 18-55, you should probably get a fast prime lens like a 50mm f/1.8 or so. As for the zoom, I have a 55-200mm VR lens that was very inexpensive at $200and takes excellent pictures in the sweet zone (between 55-185mm). Like I said, I know they aren't Canon lenses, but I'm sure Nikon and Canon sell similar lenses.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Sigma, Tamron, and Canon lenses are all pretty good. If you have not checked out this forum I recommend it http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php. The only other thing I would look into is a circular polarizer (mosltly for landscapes), takes all the glare out and makes for a little better saturation.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Launching!

So I think I might be leaning towards a canon 28-135 ISO lens....
Old 05-13-2009, 02:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JuStIn_Ws6
So I think I might be leaning towards a canon 28-135 ISO lens....

stay away from aftermarket lenses for your camera. stick with canon and look for lenses that are l glass. if you want superb quality, use those. i am a photographer and have been doing this for around 4 years. another thing to consider is learning how to use the camera and edit the photos in photoshop. i learned by only having the camera on manual and not using any supplied settings on the dial ****. also, you want quality....shoot in raw.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by black84z28
stay away from aftermarket lenses for your camera. stick with canon and look for lenses that are l glass. if you want superb quality, use those. i am a photographer and have been doing this for around 4 years. another thing to consider is learning how to use the camera and edit the photos in photoshop. i learned by only having the camera on manual and not using any supplied settings on the dial ****. also, you want quality....shoot in raw.
I was wondering about some of those aftermarket lens kit that were like half what the canon kit cost. If I do get a lens is it a good idea to also buy a filter that way I don't scratch the actual new lens? Also, if I did buy a filter there are so many out there, what would be a good one?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JuStIn_Ws6
I was wondering about some of those aftermarket lens kit that were like half what the canon kit cost. If I do get a lens is it a good idea to also buy a filter that way I don't scratch the actual new lens? Also, if I did buy a filter there are so many out there, what would be a good one?
one of the reasons i recommend brand only is the fact companies like tamron and sigma try and mimmick the language the lens speaks to the camera and vise versa. so once in awhile you will get errors when they don't wanna cooperate with each other. missing a shot because a lens wants to be gay pisses me off like no other let me tell ya. lol

when shopping for filters ask the store person what ones are for digital cameras. film and digital filters are different

to protect the lens just get a uv filter. down the round you will wanna put money into a circular polarizer. this filter reduces glare off reflected sufaces and saturates the sky into a deeper blue. pretty meat.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I completely disagree with sticking with Canon lenses, especially L glass. When starting out I would save money by going with the lower end but still quality Canon lenses (28-135, 50 prime, 55-250, etc) or the aftermarket companies (Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron) and spend the extra money to buy things like a strobe setup, circular polarizers, a nice tripod and ballhead, remote switch, memory cards, batteries, a nice bag, etc. It's going to take an amatuer photographer quite a while until they're good enough to grow out of the cheaper Canon and aftermarket lenses. He's not shooting professionally and I imagine most of what he'll be doing is stationary so if it doesn't work correctly once and all he has to do is shut the camera off and then on and this happens like twice a year I don't think he's going to be too worried about it when it saved him $700 on each lens.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 72firebird
I completely disagree with sticking with Canon lenses, especially L glass. When starting out I would save money by going with the lower end but still quality Canon lenses (28-135, 50 prime, 55-250, etc) or the aftermarket companies (Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron) and spend the extra money to buy things like a strobe setup, circular polarizers, a nice tripod and ballhead, remote switch, memory cards, batteries, a nice bag, etc. It's going to take an amatuer photographer quite a while until they're good enough to grow out of the cheaper Canon and aftermarket lenses. He's not shooting professionally and I imagine most of what he'll be doing is stationary so if it doesn't work correctly once and all he has to do is shut the camera off and then on and this happens like twice a year I don't think he's going to be too worried about it when it saved him $700 on each lens.
sticking with factory lenses in the long run will reduce the fact aftermarket lenses won't sit and give you error message after error message when they wanna **** out on you. he doesn't have to blow 2k on a 70-200 f2.8 but getting a nice glass for what he wants is going to give him the quality of a picture he wants. the camera isn't what give you a quality image, it is the glass/lens.

if the op is looking for cheap then photography is the worst hobby to take up. cars and photography are expensive as ****

ways to save money for stuff you mentioned is great by our friend ebay. you can buy cards cheap, batteries which have a better mah rating are cheap compared to the stock canon battery.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

sticking with factory lenses in the long run will reduce the fact aftermarket lenses won't sit and give you error message after error message when they wanna **** out on you. he doesn't have to blow 2k on a 70-200 f2.8 but getting a nice glass for what he wants is going to give him the quality of a picture he wants. the camera isn't what give you a quality image, it is the glass/lens.

if the op is looking for cheap then photography is the worst hobby to take up. cars and photography are expensive as ****

ways to save money for stuff you mentioned is great by our friend ebay. you can buy cards cheap, batteries which have a better mah rating are cheap compared to the stock canon battery.
No, the camera and lens aren't what give you good images, the photographer is. When you're first starting out in photography you're barely going to be able to tell the difference in your pictures if they were taken with a $400 Tamron lens versus a $2k Canon L lens. Just like all hobbies, you should start out slow and work your way up. You don't start with a 8 second car and then learn everything about cars from there. You start from stock and then you slowly mod it. Talk to most of the people with 9 second cars on here and I can gurantee you that 95% of them have had previous slower race cars or even multiple setups in the car they currently have.

Like I said having something that you have problems 2x a year but have the same image quality out of but saving $1k is worth it for me. I don't know about you but 5 seconds in my life each year is worth saving $1k. The guys isn't a professional photographer and there is no reason to waste the money, he's doing it as a hobby. Having the best of the best isn't always the wisest decision, not all of us have a bathtub full of money to bathe in so we have to spend wisely and get the best bang for the buck for our situation.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just as a reference some of my photography:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...awk-shoot.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedi...black-ws6.html
http://anniversaryta.com/Jared/Vinta...ix/SVRA2_2.jpg
http://anniversaryta.com/Jared/Vinta...Prix/SVRA6.jpg
http://anniversaryta.com/Jared/Vinta...rix/SVRA25.jpg

Just as a sample and I've only been into photography for a little over a year. All of the pictures were taken with a 40D and a lens which costs less than $400 new. I'm not saying that my stuff is outstanding or anything, but with what little experience that I have I feel I've been able to produce some damn good images and now I'm working on upgrading to MAYBE some L glass. I can sell my old lenses for 80% of what I paid for them if not come out even on the ones I bought used and I was able to find out I was going to stick with the hobby and only lose $100 instead of losing over $1k if I decided I didn't like it.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 72firebird
No, the camera and lens aren't what give you good images, the photographer is.
you're missing what I'm pointing out. i am saying that for image quality you need good glass. I'm not referring to a photographer needing good gear to make stand out shots. i am saying the glass the photographer uses does make a difference. how the photographer takes the shot is up to that person and gear no matter how pricey will fix that.(money doesn't buy artistic talent) there is a reason 2.8 or faster lenses cost so much. the images they produce are sharp and spot on. when you start working with the more expensive lenses you will be able to tell

i looked at your images and they are very nice. keep up the good work

edit: you'll find that the good canon lenses will sell for top dollar and retain value. you don't lose money on these things. like the aforementioned 2k l glass, that will still pull top dollar. used or not
Old 05-13-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When you are ready to purchase or just want to browse more, check out: BandHphoto.com. Some very good deals on used lenses there as well as any other thing you could possibly need photography wise.