Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

photo editing practice

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default photo editing practice

well i just started to practice photo editing since I just got my car repainted. I went out a few nights ago and took some pics of my car... they turned out horrible, I only have a point and shoot but its 10 megapixels so they shouldnt turn out to bad. Well I didnt know anything about setting up the camera with ISO or which modes to use until I read the sticky above and talked to a few others about editing. In this pic I used ISO 200, at 9 PM at night and I think it turned out pretty good... set it on top of a handicap sign outside of my apartment just to get a feel for it. I edited to my best ability, isnt much yet.

Any pointers are MUCH appreciated... I used THE GIMP software.

Before editing

After editing
Old 06-20-2009, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not bad. Did you try out the self-timer function on your camera if it has one? I always use the 2 second timer, just in case my camera wiggles when I press the button down (it always does haha).

I just noticed you live in Denton. Do you come to any car shows in Dallas?
Old 06-20-2009, 02:16 AM
Teching In

It's all just a matter of taste for the processing. That was just 39 seconds worth of changes. Obviously not a quality edit on the one I did, but it shows just how much you can change the appearance of a picture.

Last edited by ssscottss; 06-20-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Not bad. Did you try out the self-timer function on your camera if it has one? I always use the 2 second timer, just in case my camera wiggles when I press the button down (it always does haha).

I just noticed you live in Denton. Do you come to any car shows in Dallas?
I never do man, ive always wanted to but im always busy with work or school, I go to UNT. The only F-Body show ive been to in the past year was F-Body day at the fair last year.

Originally Posted by ssscottss
It's all just a matter of taste for the processing. That was just 39 seconds worth of changes. Obviously not a quality edit on the one I did, but it shows just how much you can change the appearance of a picture.

Wow thats pretty fast man. Im getting faster now that I know where the buttons are. The only stuff I use on THE GIMP are crop, contrast, levels, and unsharp mask... anything else worth looking at? Everything is manual so its pretty tough to use as a beginner... need auto!

yes I did use the 2 second timer though.
Old 06-20-2009, 12:01 PM
Teching In

I used Photoshop and opened the JPEG in the RAW editor. I just played with the basic settings and the tone curve a bit
Old 06-20-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ssscottss
I used Photoshop and opened the JPEG in the RAW editor. I just played with the basic settings and the tone curve a bit
I wanna know how the hell the guy that wrote the sticky for $200 point and shoot made his pictures look so damn good.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:00 PM
11 Second Club

because he is that good...lol...
Old 06-21-2009, 01:15 AM
Teching In

This image should of been thrown out to begin with. The problem with shooting in low light is that you need to either:
A) have an off camera light source or a somewhat sufficient light source like a sodium light. Lighting is everything because it lights the subject (duh!) but it also adds contrast
B) increase iso. iso 200 was way too low for this shot.

EDIT: After thoroughly reading the post, the point and shoot is another problem. most produce very grainy images to begin with.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by uracowman
This image should of been thrown out to begin with. The problem with shooting in low light is that you need to either:
A) have an off camera light source or a somewhat sufficient light source like a sodium light. Lighting is everything because it lights the subject (duh!) but it also adds contrast
B) increase iso. iso 200 was way too low for this shot.

EDIT: After thoroughly reading the post, the point and shoot is another problem. most produce very grainy images to begin with.
Ya im gonna work with my little point and shoot for now, im just trying to post pics on here is all... dont need a professional camera or expensive software for just a hobby.

So I know when shooting during daylight I need to have the sun to my back. At night time I need to the have the car under light or have the camera in light?
Old 06-21-2009, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's nothing wrong with a point and shoot camera at all. You have more flexibility with an SLR, particularly at night... but the average person doesn't want or need a big camera and a backpack full of lenses unless they are going to be a professional photographer or really get into the hobby.

I took these with my point and shoot and they look just fine to me:

As far as my night photography goes, these are still quite good, but did require a tripod:

A $14 tripod really handles a lot of the problems that night photography presents. That and a slow shutter speed. With some careful and nice camera settings, photoshop and other programs aren't required, just helpful.

I took this pic in July a few years ago with a very slow shutter speed at 9 pm and it turned out pretty nice. Perhaps not professional, but nice is good enough for me.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

got a 50" tripod tonight from target for $15!!! it works great! Ill home some pics of the car soon... but my priority now is to put in a new AC compressor... damn texas heat is killing me!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:43 PM
11 Second Club

Default nothing wrong with p&s

all these were taken with a fuji s700 point and shoot...i have a canon dslr now but just saying an expensive camera is not needed to produce nice images....

same car with the dslr
Old 06-23-2009, 06:14 PM
Teching In

sorry for the big pics. some pics from NHRA at E-Town. fujifilm s700

[IMG][/IMG]