Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

2012 GTR sets ring record with 7:20

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:12 PM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm done trying to argue with your pig-headed ignorance, since you can't understand simple concepts (like how a clutch offers you more control, and how the car you buy doesn't represent how "patriotic" you are). If somebody else wants to try, good luck to them.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Control of what is all I want to know. The clutch doesn't allow me to control my Harley any better. It does allow me to shift without grinding the transmission gears to death though. Sometimes a I power shift my YZ250 without the clutch, and it's still going strong after 27 years without a rebuild.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LEO
Nice choice. The clip of Clarkson from Top Gear and Tiff from 5th Gear are dead on correct. Automatic slushboxes are for souless drivers that lack passion for the automotive sports. Automatics do have their place though - great for stop and go commuting and the drag strip - if you are just going after a number.
What the hell are you talking about?

It's stupid to label car enthusiasts that prefer automatics as soulless drivers that lack passion for racing.
Different strokes for different folks.
Who are you to judge them?

Just because someone prefers something different than you doesn't mean you should label them the way you are. **** man...

I prefer a manual for road course racing, but I've also driven circles around people while driving automatic cars.

I also don't get why some people act like driving an H-pattern manual is some sort of incredibly difficult art. If you're looking to snap off the best possible time at the strip, then yeah, you need to be pretty damn good. On a roadcourse, how quickly you shift isn't always that big of a deal and heal-toe down shifting isn't difficult to get good at. Maybe that's just me though.

BTW, Clarkson and Tiff have both owned automatic cars over the last few years.

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 10-21-2010 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said it's an ego booster for those with a clutch pedal. It makes them think they are better than anyone with a clutchless or auto/manual mode trans.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:38 PM
***Repost Police***

Like I said... if you're happy with your automatic (because that's what you have, don't kid yourself) then good for you. But I get satisfaction out of banging my own gears.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car bangs gears in manual shift mode since I have a tuner to adjust the shift firmness and shift torque.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Like I said... if you're happy with your automatic (because that's what you have, don't kid yourself) then good for you. But I get satisfaction out of banging my own gears.
This.

It's when people try to belittle those that like automatics that they seem like they're in it for the ego booster. Or maybe they just like putting people down. Who knows...
Old 10-21-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

You're right, they think it's better to have a clutch, but they have yet to give me a reason why it's better.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
My car bangs gears in manual shift mode since I have a tuner to adjust the shift firmness and shift torque.

So once again.. Someone or SOMETHING else other than you gets to choose how you should shift? When you could just be doing it yourself!
Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

No the trans shifts when I move the shift lever in manual mode, not before or not after. The tuner allows me to adjust how hard it shifts when I move the shift lever. What part of that don't you understand? I can see why you think your clutch shifted trans is better than an auto/manual because you don't even know how it works.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

I understand this. But how hard it is shifted is chosen by someone or something OTHER than you right? I understand you say when it happens.... But not how hard or abrupt or smoothly. You have to rely on someone else to TUNE it for you.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:02 PM
***Repost Police***

On a separate (but related) note, I can't help but laugh when you talk about how your previous manual transmission cars give your "leg a workout." It's a hydraulic clutch man... they're light as feathers. Even the clutch in my S2000 (hydraulic) was heavier than the stock clutch in a Vette/F-body. Drive a Mustang with an upgraded clutch for a couple years and then get back to me.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LegacyGTBiggie
I understand this. But how hard it is shifted is chosen by someone or something OTHER than you right? I understand you say when it happens.... But not how hard or abrupt or smoothly. You have to rely on someone else to TUNE it for you.
I have a Superchips hand held tuner that plugs into my car and I can change the shift firmness to my liking.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
On a separate (but related) note, I can't help but laugh when you talk about how your previous manual transmission cars give your "leg a workout." It's a hydraulic clutch man... they're light as feathers. Even the clutch in my S2000 (hydraulic) was heavier than the stock clutch in a Vette/F-body. Drive a Mustang with an upgraded clutch for a couple years and then get back to me.
My Camaro's all had non-hydraulic clutch pedals, so they weren't that easy to operate.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
I have a Superchips hand held tuner that plugs into my car and I can change the shift firmness to my liking.
SO you are still telling the computer how you want to shift.. instead of just doing it yourself with a proper manual? I am confused... You keep saying the same thing... Something/someone else gets to pick how your car shifts.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I control WHEN it shifts with the shift lever. I can choose HOW HARD I want it to shift with the tuner. If I run WOT to 6200 rpm and don't move the shifter it won't shift, it'll hit the rev limiter just like your car. It does shift harder when I give it more throttle, so I can control the shift firmness depending on how much throttle I give it.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:21 PM
***Repost Police***

And in the end, it's just an automatic that lets you suggest when you want it to shift. If it were as good as an actual manual transmission, that's what Ferrari/BMW/Lamborghini would use.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

No it shifts when I move the shift lever, no sooner or no later. I don't see why you don't understand that. It shifts exactly like a manual with a clutch but it has no clutch.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:29 PM
***Repost Police***

Whatever you say... I value some opinions more than your's though.

Originally Posted by ss1129
Tap shift in my Camaro sucks ***, even tuned.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Evidently his trans wasn't tuned correctly then. Superchips has released quite a few revisions to their tune until they finally got it right. There are very few places that really know how to tune the auto trans in the Camaro and the G8.