Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

My FD RX7, not your typical LS1 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My FD RX7, not your typical LS1 Swap

Hey guys, just purchased this car from a forum member (bryden) back in October, and I couldn't be happier with it. The previous owner did all the heavy lifting, and since I have gotten it, I think I finished it off just the way I wanted it. I added the shine spoiler, BC Racing Coilovers, StopTech's, CCW's, RB Sway Bar, Fresh Paint, better exhaust tips, Accusump etc.

This isn’t a typical swap. Swap was done from a whole 2001 Camaro parts car. He basically took the best of the two cars to make one. This car uses the Camaro body control module (for keyless entry/alarm functions), 4 channel ABS/traction control, plastic fuel tank/internally regulated fuel pump, and instrument cluster. Advantages described below.

4 channel ABS/traction control: Car uses the Bosch 5.3 ABS from the F-body. The ABS on the RX7 is an older three channel system and was starting to leak. The 4 channel ABS can work the rear wheels independently and is also necessary for the traction control. When driving the car with the FD ABS disabled and the front brakes would lock up almost instantly so maintaining ABS for him was a necessity. Not to mention the F-Body pump units are plentiful and can be found cheap. Traction control works well and uses three methods of power reduction when slip is sensed: ignition timing is pulled, if this doesn’t work the throttle starts closing, and finally if those didn’t work it will apply brake force to the slipping wheel/wheels. It can be turned off by a button press, but I can count on one hand the number of times I turned it off. I have found as long as you work with it, it works very well and will still allow the rear to get a little loose. This required all new brake tubing including an extra line run to the rear axle. All the stock brake hoses were retained as well as the Mazda ABS wheel sensors.
You can see the FBody ABS pump in the top left corner of the bay:

F-body gas tank: This replaces the steel FD steel tank, is plastic and will not rust. Most importantly this allowed him to run a dual outlet exhaust to both sides of the car, which is essentially impossible with a stock FD tank. This permitted him to modify and use the SLP dual-dual Loudmouth stainless steel catback that came on the parts car. The F-body tank also uses an internally regulated fuel pump so you don’t need the vette external regulated fuel filter. The F-body EVAP system is also used and fully functional. This required the FD spare tire well to be removed, so there is no place to put a spare.

F-body body control module: This car now has the camaro’s keyless entry. So the F-body remote is used which includes a trunk release button, he added a solenoid in the trunk so that this function would work. The dome lights, keyless and alarm functions work just like in an F-body.

F-body instrument cluster: Running the F-body gas tank and ABS sort of made this a necessity, for gauges and indication lights. He did not use the camaro cluster because the firebird cluster has amber lights so he installed a firebird cluster instead. This eliminates the need for the Dakota Digital speedo correction box, and the speedometer can be adjusted for different tire diameter/gears by a program like HP Tuners. The FD cluster hood was reworked with abs plastic, not fiberglass as he was concerned about fiberglass cracking and separating in the future. All the gauges and warning/indicator lights work just as they would in an F-body. Since he knew he had to rework the instrument cluster he was able to move the steering column up about 1 inch to make more room for knees, now there is a bit more space.

I know, I know, I love the FD Gauge cluster as well, but really when you drive the car, and see how everything works perfectly together, you really start to appreciate the functionality over the aesthetics.

Just had it sprayed Viper Red, it really made the original red seem muted and dull.
This is how it looked when I first picked it up:

And how it looks today:

I'm a driving instructor with Chin Motorsports, I live in Orlando, FL, and in December, I drove the car 700 miles to VIR, did 327 miles on track, and 700 home with zero issues. It actually snowed on us, which created a few nice pics, here's one.

I also recently did Sebring, my first time on Hoosiers 275's on all 4 corners, the car gripped like a ****!
Old 03-05-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Looks good.

Congrats on the purchase. I think I actually like the way the f-body cluster looks more than the original. Makes it look more modern.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Old 03-05-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Resident

GM gauges look so boring and bland, but I guess having them 100% working is worth it.
Great looking car! Sometime in the not to distant future I plan on building/buying a LSX RX7, the looks, weight, and handling are hard to beat!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

How come the hood is black St Sebring??? Or is that a diff rx7?
Old 03-05-2011, 12:34 PM
TECH Resident

Same car, same hood. I'm guessing he just got the hood painted (looks much better painted too).
Old 03-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Yea it's cf... And I hated the way it looked unpainted.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome car man!!
Old 03-05-2011, 01:02 PM
10 Second Club

looks good
Old 03-05-2011, 04:31 PM
11 Second Club

wow that car is beautiful. video clip now!!!
Old 03-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Launching!

I'm familiar with Dr. Chin. He has a NSX right? I used to work for Zen Motorsports and the owner was from Orlando. Scott Wright, his father use to race and go to the NSX-po with Dr. Chin as they were good friends.

Sick FD RX-7. I love the overall product. It's amazingly well put together!
Old 03-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Staging Lane

Yea he's got a really nice nsx, supercharged, and very trick. Thanks, I'm really enjoying the car. No video just yet.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

great looking car, love the FD body style. have any plans for the car....like FI
Old 03-05-2011, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Very Nice!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Nah reject, if I ever do get bored of the power, it's NA mods for me.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Teching In

i like it. i saw the thread you posted on TR

http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/ge...apped-rx7.html
Old 03-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

that car looks sick! props on both of you. only thing i would change is the intake. if you made a pipe and painted it the same color of the car i think it would pop
Old 03-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Staging Lane

Yea, I'll be changing it soon.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome RX7 man. I wouldn't call the fart cans an upgrade on tips though . I hate dual/dual tips, but dual fart cans are worse. Lol.

Overall, awesome car! I love how RX7's look. If they weren't RWD id probably get one for a daily/winter car.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man I love the factory RX-7 cluster, but I can understand your reasoning. Cool car, and the twin fart cans are a nice touch!

Quick Reply: My FD RX7, not your typical LS1 Swap