Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

Powershifting clip, post yours, judge mine...

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Powershifting clip, post yours, judge mine...

I rolled into the gas at 3k, wot around 4k rpm...foot never let off the gas until i hit 90
What do you think? Not as consistant on the shift RPM, and hit the limiter in 1st a little, but my car was down for 2 months, trying to get back into my groove lol. I'm a little rusty, but i practice at least once a day

Anyone else have any of these kind of clips where we can hear how other people shift?

(BTW, i just sit my camera on the steering wheel, hold it with 1 finger, then drive normal...its the best driver tuning tool IMO. You can watch where you shift, and how consistant you are)
Old 09-01-2007, 03:32 PM
Launching!

nice, I need to learn how to do that. I normally lift everytime.

how much of an improvement does it actually make?
Old 09-01-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 68chevypu
nice, I need to learn how to do that. I normally lift everytime.

how much of an improvement does it actually make?

to me it feels like a completely different car when i powershift. If i don't, it feels like a turd...kind of depressing lol.

I guess i throw my mods out there too.
Ram powergrip HD
Pro 5.0
Adjustable master/new slave
tsp 233/239 cam
243 heads, patriot springs, ported ls6 oil pump, hardened pushrods, ls2 timing chain
mac mid length headers w/ORY and cutout
Forge pistons,forged H-beam rods, ARP rod bolts, ARP head bolts (4k miles on rebuild)
SLP underdrive pulley
LS6 intake
SLP Lid
Home ported Throttle body
Old 09-01-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

very nice bro ... here's a vid. of me doing a powershifting too in my friend's Camaro SS '01

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOHA12ahvEE

Peace
Old 09-01-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah like somone said, it feels much differnt not power shifting....Ive got it down good when I had my DSM(yes and awd trans)

And my camaro hell, I could glue my foot to the floor the pro 5.0 made it so good
Old 09-01-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Nice, looks good. Noticed the RPM's stay really high is it spinning the tires? Are you on stock gears? Also, how does it not bounce off the limiter when you keep it floored while the clutch goes in? What RPM do you begin the shift to to prevent it hitting redline?

Sorry bout the Q's just trying to learn.
I'm afraid it'll blow the rearend, before i have the $ to replace it w/ a 12 bolt. Maybe i'll teach myself when i buy the 12 bolt, but before it put her in.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

Not bad at all. You're shifting a bit too early though, IMO.

Difference is not huge, but it feels like your car is jumping on the shifts instead of bogging down a bit. I mastered it in my Z28, but it's pretty bad for your clutch and tranny.

Nice, looks good. Noticed the RPM's stay really high is it spinning the tires? Are you on stock gears? Also, how does it not bounce off the limiter when you keep it floored while the clutch goes in? What RPM do you begin the shift to to prevent it hitting redline?
You spin a little more when you power-shift, but car feels a bit faster as well. My Z28 was trapping 1-1.5mph faster in 1/4mi while power-shifting comparing to just speed-shifting. You might hit a rev limiter, but once you master this technique, you should be able to do it fast enough without hitting rev limiter.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Launching!

so when you put the clutch in do you just kick it quick? I had heard you can kinda preload the shifter when its in gear, so when the clutch goes in the stick jumpfor the next gear.do you guys do that? What shifters are you guys using? can you do it with stock master.slave etc?
Old 09-01-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea you just kick it i guess lol. I'm on stock everything but a pro 5.0. I just recently mastered this but I'm only gonna do it at the track cause it's a DD.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Stock master slave is fine, but I'd upgrade the shifter. I'm still on stock shifter on my hawk and I just feel like I couldn't shift fast enough with it for power shifting.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

in my video i was shifting with stock master slave with Hurst shifter ,,, but it's hurt LOL

Peace
Old 09-02-2007, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 68chevypu
so when you put the clutch in do you just kick it quick? I had heard you can kinda preload the shifter when its in gear, so when the clutch goes in the stick jumpfor the next gear.do you guys do that? What shifters are you guys using? can you do it with stock master.slave etc?
if only if i'm seriously trying to do my best do i shift as you describe. it does make a difference in how quick you get it into the next gear. at least for me it does.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Powershifting scares me, especially after having to get the tranny rebuilt twice. I kind of want to make it last a while now. I just speed shift and it seems pretty close to as fast as them powershifting vids except it just feels less hard on the car.

Bad95 is that the 2nd gear syncro grinding in your vid? I hate that sound so bad, since I took 2nd completley out of my car one time and it sucked.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:19 AM
On The Tree

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Q0xUPKkjFGk

230lb driver, 245 lb passenger... exhaust / intake GTO with ripshift. I love this shifter. Video is of some agressive shifting, nothing over the top. Leaving it on the floor, nabbing the clutch and nailing the next gear. I can hit every gear at 6300rpm and leave it on the floor, and NOT hit the rev limiter when shifting.

I LOVE this shifter.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...27847346034297
^ here is a older video of me shifting my 2000 SS camaro with the stock shifter.This video circulated around these boards for a while. I now have a pro 5.0 in it, but I think I like the ripshift in the GTO better than the pro 5.0.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ineedashortblock

230lb driver, 245 lb passenger... exhaust / intake GTO with ripshift. I love this shifter. Video is of some agressive shifting, nothing over the top. Leaving it on the floor, nabbing the clutch and nailing the next gear. I can hit every gear at 6300rpm and leave it on the floor, and NOT hit the rev limiter when shifting.

I LOVE this shifter.

^ here is a older video of me shifting my 2000 SS camaro with the stock shifter.This video circulated around these boards for a while. I now have a pro 5.0 in it, but I think I like the ripshift in the GTO better than the pro 5.0.
Looks like your shifting has improved from the time you drove SS to your GTO
Old 09-02-2007, 03:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ineedashortblock

I LOVE this shifter.

Nice, now them vids make me want to try powershifting again. Nice, smooth and quick. Most powershifting vids you see they yank the **** out of the shifter and it is painful to watch. I need to throw my longer stick on again, shifting is so much smoother than the 6.5" it seems.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
Not bad at all. You're shifting a bit too early though, IMO.

Difference is not huge, but it feels like your car is jumping on the shifts instead of bogging down a bit. I mastered it in my Z28, but it's pretty bad for your clutch and tranny.

You spin a little more when you power-shift, but car feels a bit faster as well. My Z28 was trapping 1-1.5mph faster in 1/4mi while power-shifting comparing to just speed-shifting. You might hit a rev limiter, but once you master this technique, you should be able to do it fast enough without hitting rev limiter.

I shift off my current rev limiter....it's at 6500 because my car is a 2000 and had shitty rod bolts...well i spun a bearing anyway. I need to get it re tuned with the 243 heads, and get the rev limiter rasied a little. It seems like i should shift this car at 6800 or so from what i see.

Rpm's never drop below 5k when i shift, it does spin somewhat, when the camera jumps, the tires a spinning.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2 SSlow
I rolled into the gas at 3k, wot around 4k rpm...foot never let off the gas until i hit 90
What do you think? Not as consistant on the shift RPM, and hit the limiter in 1st a little, but my car was down for 2 months, trying to get back into my groove lol. I'm a little rusty, but i practice at least once a day

Anyone else have any of these kind of clips where we can hear how other people shift?

(BTW, i just sit my camera on the steering wheel, hold it with 1 finger, then drive normal...its the best driver tuning tool IMO. You can watch where you shift, and how consistant you are)
Nice man and the car sounded Sick.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

i want to try power shifting so bad but i'm scared to do it and screw my car up if i mess up.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:29 PM
11 Second Club

I swear its not A4
J/K

2nd 55 to 4th 135 pull traffic was ahead so let off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDHnFkzu1Vk

1st 25 to top 3rd 110
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYgtcIrCufA

The clutch have 200miles so I'm still not POWERSHIFTING.