New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could a Bad Motor Mount Cause...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Could a Bad Motor Mount Cause...

my steering to feel like it has torque steer like a fwd car? (dont laugh its all i could think of)
whenever i let off after i accelerate i can feel like the front end is having trouble staying straight.
or cound it be the suspension is bad. i just had my car realigned and i an replacing the lower a arm bushings in a week
Old 10-30-2008, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this happen all the time on any road? I sometimes have the same trouble with my car where it will pull pretty hard to one side or the other but determined that it was the imperfections in the road I was on. I am unsure if a motor mount would cause the whole car to pull. Maybe the shop you took it to forgot to tighten a bolt somewhere and threw the alignment off or they aligned the car incorrectly; I would take it back to them and see if they did it, just a thought.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

it does it on most roads.
i know the guy who did it at mobicare and he worked on it right so it wasnt a pepboys job.
the front just gets a little wiggily at times when i pull harder
Old 10-30-2008, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check alignment, usually the thrust angle of a rear wheel drive car forces the car forward and fairly straight, a lot of us RWD drivers may not realize it, but that whole car straightening letting the wheel do it itself after a turn is the thrust angle forcing us straight.

If after you stop acceleration, now the only thing allowing the car to keep going straight is the front tires, so if the alignment is off in the slightest, it will pull to whatever is off. Also brake drag can do this too say one side is sticking, but then when braking it will be more pronounced. I'd inspect the tires for unusual wear patterns and probably just get it aligned.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

well i just got new tires on last week and got it aligned the same day.
the old pair was worn bad.
i also replaced the tie rod bushings the day before the alignment but the grease would not take due to it being new so i and going to grease them this weekend
Old 10-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

ive gotten mine aligned before and all a sudden somethin came loose i guess and steering went all crazy.. maybe possible a manufactor defect on the tires.. go back to the place where u got it aligned and got the tires from and have them check it (im a former employee of National Tire and Battery) ive seen this alot
Old 10-30-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also of note if you had a bad motor mount, you'd see your engine vibrating like crazy and can see it torque itself over a significant amount
Old 10-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Teching In

It sounds like its a road issue. One way to find this out is drive in the right lane and see if it pulls to the right. Then go to the left lane and see if it pulls to the left. If this happens its just your not used to an aligned car lol (happened to me). It is just how the pitch and slope the road to get the water off of it. Also jack the front of the car up and check to see if there is any play in the tires back and forth and up and down for the bearing and tie rods just to rule them out. good luck