New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What mods would I *not* want on an LS1 I want to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What mods would I *not* want on an LS1 I want to buy?

Soon I will be buying an LS1 Camaro/Firebird (likely from here), and I got to wondering about what mods would be desirable/neutral/undesirable.

Of course, it's going to be in generalities, each car is a unique case, but what mods would you be especially leery of or pleased to see when purchasing? Just cause I know the LTs are a PITA to install, I'd think that would be a good mod to see...and of course a car that's been sprayed a 1000 times might be one to avoid.

What others?

EDIT - this would be performance/suspension/etc. I really don;t give two ***** about appearance mods or fancy stereo stuff.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Regular

personally i would want one with nothing on it. when i got mine it was bone stock and only had 40k on it, doing the mods your self is the best part and i must say you havnt moded an f-body till you install a pair of LT's. but my point is if you can find one bone stock theres less chance it has been ragged on just my opinion
Old 11-10-2008, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

If I were you I would look for a bone stock one first. I take pride in doing all the mods myself
Old 11-10-2008, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by DCsLS1
personally i would want one with nothing on it. when i got mine it was bone stock and only had 40k on it, doing the mods your self is the best part and i must say you havnt moded an f-body till you install a pair of LT's. but my point is if you can find one bone stock theres less chance it has been ragged on just my opinion
I've been party to a LT install on an Fbody....hence wanting to steer clear of that hassle. Did lots of mods on my old blown 98 Cobra. I won't feel cheated for missing the experience of most mods.

But is that really true? That a bone stock car has less chance to be ragged on? I mean, each case is different, but I'd rather have a car with owner installed mods that took care of the thing (fluid changes, etc) than a 100k car that's seen five oil changes in it's life.

Ideally, of course, I;d want a pristine, bone-stock car in showroom condition with low low miles, but I don't want to pay for all that.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

LTs on a LS1 really aren't that bad. Now on my old LT1, that sucked. I've installed headers twice now on my LS1, and I'm about to do it for a 3rd when I put in my new cam and heads. My car was bone stock when I bought it except for a lid and filter and suspension mods. Ask the person who you are buying it from questions to see if he know how to take care of his car.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

I bought mine bone stock but there were a few mods I wouldn't have minded seeing. Suspension parts would be nice, as would any car with a 12 bolt or 9 inch.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Addict

The only thing I wish mine came with is a 9" or a 12 bolt.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sooner Todd
Soon I will be buying an LS1 Camaro/Firebird (likely from here), and I got to wondering about what mods would be desirable/neutral/undesirable.

Of course, it's going to be in generalities, each car is a unique case, but what mods would you be especially leery of or pleased to see when purchasing? Just cause I know the LTs are a PITA to install, I'd think that would be a good mod to see...and of course a car that's been sprayed a 1000 times might be one to avoid.

What others?

EDIT - this would be performance/suspension/etc. I really don;t give two ***** about appearance mods or fancy stereo stuff.
Depends on the goals of your car are.
For example if you want to improve braking and don't care about some extra bling, then buying cross drilled, dimpled, or slotted rotors would be a waste of money.
Or if you want to improve handling buying drag parts like QA1s, short-length torque arm, relocation brackets, over sized rear swaybar, etc. would be counter productive. And visa-versa if all you care about is getting the best launch buying lowering springs or a larger front swaybar are also going to be counter productive.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by samson_420
The only thing I wish mine came with is a 9" or a 12 bolt.
+1 That would be nice
Old 11-10-2008, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

Yea I would have loved to buy one with a built driveline. A tranny, and rear!! Other than that I like to mod them myself.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like said, if you find a car with a rear, buy it, I wish I did.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bought my car with some suspension add ons
Old 11-10-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

here you go bone stock
http://www.carmax.com/enUS/view-car/...9-16c19a69c924
Old 11-10-2008, 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

I would never buy a car that has ever had nitrous installed on it. That was the one major turn off for me. Other than that, suspension, rear, boltons, and maybe a small cam would be a nice way to start out a DD car!!
Old 11-11-2008, 06:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would not want ----------------
---------------------------------
---------------------------------
Lambo Doors!!!
Attached Thumbnails What mods would I *not* want on an LS1 I want to buy?-chevrolet_19932001_camero_promo-1-.jpg  
Old 11-11-2008, 06:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You do not want an aftermarket MAF. You want a stock MAF. It's an air flow sensor that some people replace. You want the stock one.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sharpe
You do not want an aftermarket MAF. You want a stock MAF. It's an air flow sensor that some people replace. You want the stock one.
Does swapping the mass air meter just not yield any results on LS1 motors? But I guess I just wouldn't see the point on a stock motor. I replaced mine in my old Cobra, but it had an S-Trim.

Good ideas on the suspension/braking/driveline mods...those sound like something good to find. Are lighter weight driveshafts a common mod for f-body cars?

As far as turning vs launch on the suspension, basically I want a well balanced car, favoring neither one.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:41 AM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Does swapping the mass air meter just not yield any results on LS1 motors? But I guess I just wouldn't see the point on a stock motor. I replaced mine in my old Cobra, but it had an S-Trim.

Good ideas on the suspension/braking/driveline mods...those sound like something good to find. Are lighter weight driveshafts a common mod for f-body cars?

As far as turning vs launch on the suspension, basically I want a well balanced car, favoring neither one.
F-bodies come with an aluminum drive shaft to begin with. Going with a lighter one is not a common mod
Old 11-11-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Its going to have to slightly favor one side. Stock (non 1LE, or non bilstien package) favors drag racing mainly because the decarbon shocks are so horrible, and thats the main reason these cars have rattles in the first place (the shocks have too much compression and not enough rebound, they let rattles in the cabin). Best thing for you to do when you get the car IMO is replace the stock shocks with adjustable handling shocks like koni. The ride is significantly better than stock (think BMW like), handling/feel is dramatically improved, and you can adjust them for when you go to the dragstrip for a good launch.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Its going to have to slightly favor one side. Stock (non 1LE, or non bilstien package) favors drag racing mainly because the decarbon shocks are so horrible, and thats the main reason these cars have rattles in the first place (the shocks have too much compression and not enough rebound, they let rattles in the cabin). Best thing for you to do when you get the car IMO is replace the stock shocks with adjustable handling shocks like koni. The ride is significantly better than stock (think BMW like), handling/feel is dramatically improved, and you can adjust them for when you go to the dragstrip for a good launch.
Well, then I'd favor toward "handling"/"ride" a bit more than launching...but I'm not looking to build a cone swerver.

Great advice guys.