New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant turn keys back all the way to shut power off or ge them out of ignition :S

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Cant turn keys back all the way to shut power off or ge them out of ignition :S

So i took my car out of storage yesterday, had to boost it due to a dead battery, I drove it home shut it off tried to start it and it was dead again, short drive home not enough enough time to charge Tried to take the keys out and it wouldnt turn backto cut the stero power and let me get them out ,I was told that the batery had to be charged to get them to turn back so anyway i charged it today and still couldnt turn them back, also when i put it in park it goes in but you can take it right back out without pushng the button. anybody have this problem or know whats hoin on? Thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 06:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what it's called, but the safety feature that doesn't allow you to put it in gear until the brake pedal is pressed is sticking. Sometimes you can move the shifter back and forth and press the button on the shifter to get it unstuck.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Neutral safety switch is whats doin I bet. It's a cable that goes into a white plastic thing on you steering column. Giggle it around and see what happens.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:57 PM
10 Second Club

A4 or M6?

Mine would do that sometimes... I had to kind of slam it in "P" a few times to pull the keys out. I have a cluster of wires underneath in that area, since I took it out one time to do some wire tracing and put it back together, it hasnt done it. Just a thought, so might wanna check if something is in the way.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason the keys wont come out is because the car isn't going all the way into park. I dont know how to explain where to start on diagnosing that problem though.

Whoever told you that the battery needed to be charged to take the keys out is a retard. You can unhook the ******* battery and the key will still turn and go in and out of the key cylinder. I dont know why they would think battery power is necessary for the mechanical part of the ignition cylinder to work.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

haha i thought the same thing i new oit wouldn't be the battery but was worth a try had to be charged anyway haha, I think it is most likely that the safety is stuck it didnt seem like it was going into park all the way, just enought put the brake on so ill try friggin with it some more tomorrow and see if i can get it to work thanks for all the info
Old 04-09-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

well tried the slammin it around and pushing the buttin for a while and a no go, the button seems to push in with no efffort at all, i couldnt seem to find the whit box ith a cble where exactly is it located
Old 04-09-2009, 11:35 AM
11 Second Club

I had this problem to.
I sometimes have to put it in park and tap the top of the shifter.
your problem is the shifter is not going all the way into park causing it to release the key lock. Try tapping/hitting the top of your shifter. if that doesn't work pull your console apart and see if there anything wrong in there.

fwiw My problem started after doing some wiring in there.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:38 AM
10 Second Club

if that button seems like something is wrong, take the handle off. It has a little clip on the backside. Put a small screw driver in it and and pry it out. Then the shift handle comes up and off. Then you can see the push down lever on top, see if you can do it that way. Maybe something is wrong with your shift/handle.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

got the handle off and found out the plstic thing coming out of the shaft is stuck down and stiffer then hell, pulled it upand pushed it down a bunch but wont losen up

Last edited by trans_am_2000; 04-09-2009 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 99345hp
The reason the keys wont come out is because the car isn't going all the way into park. I dont know how to explain where to start on diagnosing that problem though.

Whoever told you that the battery needed to be charged to take the keys out is a retard. You can unhook the ******* battery and the key will still turn and go in and out of the key cylinder. I dont know why they would think battery power is necessary for the mechanical part of the ignition cylinder to work.
Ya make sure that bad boy is in park. I was fighting with my car for an hour till I noticed that it was in neutral with the ebrake on (my old A4 camaro).
Old 04-09-2009, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by trans_am_2000
got the handle off and found out the plstic thing coming out of the shaft is stuck down and stiffer then hell, pulled it upand pushed it down a bunch but wont losen up
If I remmber correctly, its just spring loaded... Maybe the shaft is a little bent or has a dent in so its keeping it from not moving freely.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99345hp

It's funny that i thought the same thing but i had they battery unhooked and had it in park and couldnt get them out so i hooked the battery up and tried and they come out dunno whats up with that
Old 04-09-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

I think the problem is you guys drive white Trans Am's. trans am 2000, waterbug1999, and ws98ta you all have white cars theres your problem should bought black. I kid i kid. You have very sharp cars

Anyhow. Have you tried putting it in park and rolling the car by pushing it. See if it clicks in or something in your tranny and not on the gear shift.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by araber89
I think the problem is you guys drive white Trans Am's. trans am 2000, waterbug1999, and ws98ta you all have white cars theres your problem should bought black. I kid i kid. You have very sharp cars

Anyhow. Have you tried putting it in park and rolling the car by pushing it. See if it clicks in or something in your tranny and not on the gear shift.
Yeah it was clicking in it's just that the plastic is jamming in the gearshift shaft or in the cable so gonna hit it with the penitrating oil see if that looosens it up
Old 04-09-2009, 04:56 PM
Formerly darynC-10/23/10

big pair of pliers works too
Old 04-09-2009, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Lube that ****!
Old 04-09-2009, 05:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

couldn't find that white box to jiggle around under the steering wheel either where exactly is this?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

What white box you trying to find???
Old 04-10-2009, 12:18 AM
Teching In

Remove the hush panel under the steering column. Remove the shroud around the steering column/ignition lock cylinder. Locate the cable running to the locking assembly. While shifting the gear shift from Park to 1st, notice the cable and feel if it is moving inside it. The cable end at the ign. assmbly could have come off and is lodged in the way of the ign. release. Try turning the wheels back and forth as you place the gear shift in Park, the steering locking pin could be mashed over and not allowing it to fall into the slotted plate.