Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a LS1 Edit???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb What is a LS1 Edit???

I hear about it all the time. What is a LS1 Edit? And where can I get one, and for how much?
Excuse my stupidity. LOL
Thanks
Old 11-04-2003, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by black02TA
I hear about it all the time. What is a LS1 Edit? And where can I get one, and for how much?
Excuse my stupidity. LOL
Thanks
you're not stupid man. LS1edit is a software suit that you can run on a laptop, that hooks into your OBDII computer(there's a connection inside your car, I think its under the drivers side dash, maybe). You can reprogram your PCM that way. You can edit just about anything in there, including flashing your pcm with other ls1edit files. Its an amazing tool used to 'tune' your pcm after changes, such as cam/heads/boots/nos, et cetera. There's a lot of variables, if you want to know more about it, check out the PCM section on this site. Also go check out www.carputing.com. Thats the ppl that make ls1edit so it will have some info about it.

BTW, asking questions is one of the best ways to learn, I ask silly questions too. But I also learn a hell of a lot from the replies.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I totally forgot something important. You get a special cable from the guys at carputing, and that cable is tied to your car's VIN. Thats how they keep from one version of LS1edit gettin out and bein used for half a state lol. LS1edit is also not cheap, as you also want to run a logging program like EFILive or AutoTap to check the results. Typically comes out to around $800-$1000.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

OMG!! that is expensive, atleast for me it is.... Guess Ill have to wait for next years income tax to come back.... Till then i guess ill stay cheap...
thanks for the info.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:07 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah it's expensive, but don't mod you car without it or you will just wind up making an emergency purchase on your card! (or you can pay a shop about $400 to do it for you, but you may have to go back several times)
Old 11-04-2003, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

You should really study up on engine management and tuning. As you can do some REAL damage to your motor/trans with such a tool.

i spose you ME majors should have a good understanding, but there may be some general books.

I would highly recommend a wideband if you plan to hack your air fuel and timing. $325-350 for an innovative goes a long way with a tuning program to actually know what you are effecting.
Old 11-04-2003, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not to hijack the thread, but did you ever get edit, sam? If so, how's your little... project.. going? Send me a pm.

BTW, I STILL haven't gotten that stud removed from the freakin cat pipe.
Old 11-05-2003, 12:52 AM
Teching In

So with LS1Edit I could save say a track tune and a high MPG tune and just switch any time if I had a laptop in the car?
Old 11-05-2003, 01:16 AM
Banned

now with ls1 edit do you need to have a laptop hook up at all times?
how easy is to switch back to stock settings for dealer work?
i have heard you can gain alot of power just by tweaking the stock setup
with tuning
Old 11-05-2003, 03:31 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can save your stock settings in a file and reflash you pcm anytime takes bout 5 mins-15
you wont gain ALOT over stock... but on a dyno tune you can squeeze alittle more out...
you dont need laptop hooked up all the time just make adjustments and reflash.... simple
Old 11-05-2003, 04:18 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the other guys said pretty much all that can be said. i bought edit, efi live v5, and laptop and the total cam out to be 1045 or so. its not cheap but when you have a alot of mods (h/c/i) then its a nice tool to have.

there is alot of info to read up on and should be consulted on before reflashing your pcm because you can fucke things up.

i plan to just do a basic tune and edit (rev, speed limiter, idle, delete codes, ect) and get my car so its runnin correctly then i'll take it to have it dyno tuned.

also while not as advanced as edit you can get predator, it does alot of basic tuning and its another cheaper option. i'd of gotten it but predator doesnt make one for 98's so edit was the only option