New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does my 99 camaro ss have positive traction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does my 99 camaro ss have positive traction?

its an m6. just wondering?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You mean a limited slip differential or traction control??

It definitely has a limited slip diff from the factory, all V8 cars came with them.

Traction control was optional, your cay may or may not have it. If you have an ASR switch in the center of your dash then you have it, if its a blanked off spot in its place then you don't have it.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

ty man
Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

well if you rev it up real good and dump the clutch you'll have negative traction.
Old 06-30-2009, 03:50 AM
On The Tree

^ i lol'd a little thats perdy good.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It came from the factory with a positrack. Whether or not it still works is another issue entirely. Rev the engine to 5500 RPM. Now sidestep the clutch. If only one tire spins, then it's worn out and you don't have posi any more. If the rear end explodes then you have a chance to upgrade.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Second one is a more likely outcome
Old 07-01-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have negative traction a lot!
Old 07-01-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by proporio
I have negative traction a lot!
me too
Old 07-01-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
It came from the factory with a positrack. Whether or not it still works is another issue entirely. Rev the engine to 5500 RPM. Now sidestep the clutch. If only one tire spins, then it's worn out and you don't have posi any more. If the rear end explodes then you have a chance to upgrade.
Now just to be a little picky, there is a difference between 'posi traction' and limit slip. In normal usage what people refer to as posi traction is actually limited slip. True posi refers to a locking rear end for straight line drag cars and puts a real strain on the rear end when you turn the car.

But you knew that.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ghardester
Now just to be a little picky, there is a difference between 'posi traction' and limit slip. In normal usage what people refer to as posi traction is actually limited slip. True posi refers to a locking rear end for straight line drag cars and puts a real strain on the rear end when you turn the car.

But you knew that.
No you are incorrect a "Positraction" is a LSD it was just GM's tradename for it when they released it in 1956. Your thinking of a Spool or Locker type rear end. A as you put it "True" positraction is a LSD just a GM tradename for one. I do realize that spools and lockers are two different things..

Last edited by SOM02WS6; 07-02-2009 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=SOM02WS6;11845239]No you are incorrect a "Positraction" is a LSD it was just GM's tradename for it when they released it in 1956. Your thinking of a Spool or Locker type rear end. A as you put it "True" positraction is a LSD just a GM tradename for one.[/QUOTES]

And since we're picking nits...
A locker is not the same as a spool. I have detroit lockers in both ends of my Jeep. I would not have a spool for any vehicle that is ever driven on the street.
A spool is locked all the time. Basically the same as welding up your spider gears (which is called a Lincoln Locker, after the brand of welders). A locker locks and unlocks either with a switch (an ARB air locker, for example) or when the wheels turn at different speeds under throttle but are unlocked when coasting (a detroit, for example). You can learn to lock and unlock your detroit with the throttle, and lockers are street friendly. A spool is not.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ghardester

But you knew that.
As someone else pointed out, a positrac is just GM's brand of limited slip differential. And a locker does not put any real strain on the rear end when turning. A spool will cause the tires to squeal EVERY time you turn a corner, but a locker will not, if you know how to drive with one. An automatic locker, such as a Detroit, locks when the wheels spin at different speeds AND are under acceleration. By learning to modulate the throttle, you can lock and unlock a Detroit at will. If this were not true, I would never be able to turn a corner in my Jeep without a ton of noise.
It's even easier with a selectable locker such as an ARB. Just flip the switch to "UNLOCK" and turn as much as you like.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by williamb81
its an m6. just wondering?
They need to do way instain racer> who kill thier posis. becuse these posis cant frigth back it was on the news this mroing a racer in ar who had kill her three posiis . they are taking the three posi back to new york too lady to rest my pary are with the racer who lost his rear end; i am truley sorry for your lots
Old 07-02-2009, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
They need to do way instain racer> who kill thier posis. becuse these posis cant frigth back it was on the news this mroing a racer in ar who had kill her three posiis . they are taking the three posi back to new york too lady to rest my pary are with the racer who lost his rear end; i am truley sorry for your lots
WTF did this guy say i think yo drank to much and probably have to
Old 07-05-2009, 02:09 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
If this was a chick I'd be taking her drunk *** up to my room and locking the door behind me...

Quick Reply: does my 99 camaro ss have positive traction?