Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Q-tec electric cutout ???????

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 08:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Q-tec electric cutout ???????

How do you go about wiring a gm f-body convertable switch to the black and red wires coming from the actual electric cut out? (q-tec) I heard it can be done.
Old 11-21-2003, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Here are the part numbers you will need:
Convertible Top Switch : (F-SW-CONV/T) 10402722
Mounting Plate : (F-PLT-F/FLR) 10411285

The mounting plate is for cars with traction control. This plate will give you both traction control and convertible top openngs. If someone has the part number for the plate which only has the convertible top opening please let me know and I can edit this post to add it in.

Rather than posting a photo out of the service manual, I will depict how the connections go:

Pretend that you already have a convertible top harness installed in the car, and the plug is just sitting there without the switch connected. Take the connector and orient it so that the locking tab is on top, and the plug is facing you. With this pictured in your mind, this is the connections of that plug:

TAB
H G F E

A B C D

H = Ground
G = Empty/Missing (not used)
F = Power (12v)
E = Up (+) Cutout (open)
A = Down (-) Cutout (close)
B = Lamp (+)
C = Lamp (-)
D = Ground

There are two grounds. In order for the switch to reverse the polarities for the up/down (+/-) to open and close the cutout, connector "H" and "D" have to be jumped together to the ground on the vehicle.

Holding the actual switch in your hand, it will be upside down so the locking tab part will be oriented on top. This should help you figure out what pin is what on the switch, use pin "G" as a guide.

The part numbers for the convertible top switch stuff listed above is for Pontiacs...the switch lights up red and the plate has a Pontiac arrowhead on it. Here are the part numbers for Chevrolet versions...switch lights up blue/green like the rest of the switches and the plate is blank...
Switch - 10402721
Plate - 10411284
Harness for switch - 15306189 (works for pontiac/chevrolet)

Also when using the switch harness, it is labelled with the pin connections...ie A, B, C, D, E, F and G

Enjoy!
Old 11-21-2003, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks alot . I will be doing this mod on sat. if I can get the pontiac parts.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

here are the prices from my local dealer(this is crazy)
Conv.switch-38.57
Mountingplate-6.34
Switch Harness-59.10 ......Thats right 59.10 (crazy)

Thats one expensive mod
Old 11-21-2003, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

If you can wait a bit to get them, I would get them through gmpartsdirect. If you order tonight, you will probably have the parts by next weekend.

Switch - $21.18
Plate - $4.88
Harness - $29.84
Total = $55.90 including shipping

That saves about half for ya. I get most of my parts through GMpartsdirect and end up saving a good amount of money.

You can wire it up without the harness, but it definately makes it easier and cleaner install. I had it wired up without the harness for a while and finally got the harness so it would be easy to take the dash apart, etc.

The gmpartsdirect site is easy to find...just add the .com

If you have any more questions, let me know. Hooking the cutout to the vert switch is very cool on the stealth factor!
Old 11-21-2003, 04:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks alot you have been a great help thanks
Old 11-21-2003, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Thank you for the info, and the # for the 2 switch panel. I'll be installing a Qtec in a couple of weeks.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

No prob. Let me know if you have any questions with wiring or anything. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Talk about good timing... I just got my switch and plate in the mail today.

That pinout diagram will help a bunch. I didn't buy the harness, but I figure a few connectors from Radio Shack will help ease the install tomorrow.

I used part number 10280511 for my switch plate... it has both holes (TCS and TOP) and is blank. $2.26 from GM parts direct.

One question.... when the switch is wired the way shown above, which way opens and closes the cutout? Thanks again!
Old 11-25-2003, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

It all depends which wire you connect to the open pin and which you connect to the closed pin. I can't remember the way I have the colors arranged on my switch, but I know when I press up, it opens, and down is closes. Wire it up one way, and if it isn't the way you want it, swap the white and gray wires. If you REALLY want, I can go out to my car at lunch and see which wire is where, but you can just play with it to figure out which wire is open and which is close.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by skytower31
If you REALLY want, I can go out to my car at lunch and see which wire is where, but you can just play with it to figure out which wire is open and which is close.
No need for all that work... I'll figure it out. Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if you remembered. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's an FYI for everyone, save yourself the money for the Harness and hit up your local radio shack for a Molded Nylon Connector (Female). It's Cat. No. 274-242 and costs $2.49. The connector needs a touch of work, but after 5 minutes with a dremel it fits into the back of the switch like it was meant too.

The connector is actually a 12 pin connector, but the outer rows line up with the pins in the Vert Switch perfectly. I'll post some pictures of it when I get home tonight. Gotta love a little ingenuity.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old post, but I am confused with the wiring of this switch. I want to put it in an ls swap for a 65 impala convertible. I want to use the switch for the top.

I am unsure what is meant by.....There are two grounds. In order for the switch to reverse the polarities for the up/down (+/-) to open and close the cutout, connector "H" and "D" have to be jumped together to the ground on the vehicle.

Since I would only be using the switch to power a pump in two different ways, would I need the two ground wires?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Q-tec electric cutout ???????