Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast toys RAM AIR??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 07:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fast toys RAM AIR??

How much power could one expect with this mod?.....Its the only bolt on I don't have. Is it worth it.(Is it proven????)
Old 11-24-2003, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

I have the ARA(Super Sucker Ram Air/SSRA) which is somewhat similar. The ARA has a scoop though. I noticed a definite difference with this ram air kit. Ram air kits help when you get above 30mph. You should notice a diff.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

This is probably a foolish question, but I'm just curious: I have a WS6, would the FTRA help me in any way?
Old 11-24-2003, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think you should just remove your hood baffles, I think that adding a FTRA along with your current "ram air" setup would just make the air going into the intake track more turblent. Good Luck man

WeS
Old 11-25-2003, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

installed the ssra and ran last sat. with a 150shot and got a new best.not sure about n/a pass. though.maybe its all in my head.but we had good air that night.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

next to headers it was the most noticable impovement i made fast toys websight will give you most of the information you are looking for. if you try to leave the ram air hood baffels in that will create an arbox leak and the airbox ill never pressurize. its a great kit it was a little tought to install but even thats not that big of a deal just have a friend to help you.
normaly without the kit in the higher rpms you start loosing power quick.. where as with the ram air kit you will notice its pulling alot harder. i think at 50 mph it creates 1 lb of boost.. it feels like it does... just when you think its not going to pull any more it will give you that extra pull..
well worth the $ install and enjoy... oh and another consern i had was that id get water in the intake (it comes with a block off for really bad conditions) but other than winter i run it open all season and had no probablmes with it.. just make shure you stear clear of huge puddles.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

FTRA is definetly a good mod to get... seal off the front airbox (strip provided).. the idea behind it is to try to pressurize the airbox...

On my car (WS6) I couldn't use the airbox sealer provided (basically a piece of 1" tall weatherstripping) so I fabricated my own block off plate out of sheet metal.

From my understanding the Ram Air effect isn't that great... since the hood isn't sealed to the air box it becomes turbulent entering the air box and doesn't help much... whereas the FTRA setup you're collecting air from under the car and it's a straight shot directly into the airbox...
Old 11-25-2003, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks alot it looks like that is on my x-mas list......I hope it helps..But whats better ssra or ftra ??????
Old 11-25-2003, 08:52 PM
TECH Veteran

definatly go with the fast toys kit. it has seen the best gains out of them all. i really noticed it from about 30mph up
Old 11-25-2003, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I put the FTRA and a Tsp lid on mine and can tell better throttle response than with my FIPK, i say go for it.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HOTROD98Z
I put the FTRA and a Tsp lid on mine and can tell better throttle response than with my FIPK, i say go for it.
yep same set up im running, i went with the k&n filter because with the new lid you need the foam filter seal that is provided with the filter... (i wasent too shure if other companys supplyed that with there filter or not.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by horist
FTRA is definetly a good mod to get... seal off the front airbox (strip provided).. the idea behind it is to try to pressurize the airbox...

On my car (WS6) I couldn't use the airbox sealer provided (basically a piece of 1" tall weatherstripping) so I fabricated my own block off plate out of sheet metal.

From my understanding the Ram Air effect isn't that great... since the hood isn't sealed to the air box it becomes turbulent entering the air box and doesn't help much... whereas the FTRA setup you're collecting air from under the car and it's a straight shot directly into the airbox...
Mike, do you have any pics of the block off plate you made? If it worked for you I might get the ftra.

And what's the deal with the fipk, I heard that it can actually decrease horsepower because it sucks in warm air instead of cool air?
Old 11-26-2003, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HK2328
Mike, do you have any pics of the block off plate you made? If it worked for you I might get the ftra.

And what's the deal with the fipk, I heard that it can actually decrease horsepower because it sucks in warm air instead of cool air?
Right now this is the best pic i have of it

http://www.horist.com/images/Bowling...s/IMG_2800.jpg

I took a piece of sheet metal, measured the distances (wasn't 100% so I had to fix later) and cut it out... then I spray painted flat black, drill 2 holes in it for screws and screwed it via the sides of the airbox opening..

This pic doesn't show it (i'll try to get better ones this weekend), but I also put weatherstripping everywhere where there was a gap so the box is sealed up tight...

not sure about the fipk though...
Old 11-26-2003, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

i'd say go with the ssra. It is shaped just like a scoop and in the summer u don't have to worry about sucking in hot air (which makes u loose power) due to heat soak from the fast toy ram air. The ssra is made of abs plastic where as ftra is metal.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fbody Man
i'd say go with the ssra. It is shaped just like a scoop and in the summer u don't have to worry about sucking in hot air (which makes u loose power) due to heat soak from the fast toy ram air. The ssra is made of abs plastic where as ftra is metal.
Like he said. My buddy has the FTRA. We used his Autotap to compare coolant temps. My car ran 25 degrees cooler on the same day. Also the air inlet temp(AIT) with the SSRA was about 5 degrees cooler This is probably due to the SSRA taking it's air from under the nose instead of by the radiator. We both are running the the 160 degree thermostat.

I think he's selling his FTRA if anyones interested.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:00 PM
Teching In

whats the difference between this and other scoops such as SLP ...thats what i have
Old 11-26-2003, 06:02 PM
TECH Junkie

I reccomend the FTRA, along w/Austin extension scoop--formerly the Supersucker extension scoop. It works. You should see up to .1 and 1 plus mph in the 1/4 w/extension scoop. That's over and above the FTRA. (MY OPINION)
Old 11-28-2003, 04:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cudaeh
yep same set up im running, i went with the k&n filter because with the new lid you need the foam filter seal that is provided with the filter... (i wasent too shure if other companys supplyed that with there filter or not.
I'm pretty sure only the K&N needs the foam gasket. My powershot filter works great with my TSP clear lid with no additional gasket.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WJ 99 SS
I reccomend the FTRA, along w/Austin extension scoop--formerly the Supersucker extension scoop. It works. You should see up to .1 and 1 plus mph in the 1/4 w/extension scoop. That's over and above the FTRA. (MY OPINION)

doesnt the SSRA already come with this scoop?
didnt the idea to add this scoop come from the SSRA?

so are they now the same?
or did FTRA take it a step further?

dont we have any sponsors that are down to track test them?
dynoing doesnt mean jack on a RAM AIR system
Old 11-30-2003, 07:00 PM
master of the "jack"stand

Here is a pic that I took during my FTRA install. It lets you see how much your radiator is going to be blocked. I had great results w/ the FTRA. But now I am putting in an SLP fan switch and 160 stat to cool it off.
Attached Thumbnails Fast toys RAM AIR??-ftra.jpg