Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas guage

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas guage

sometimes when i first start the car (even when i just filled the tank) the gas gauge reads almost on E and the "check gauges" light is on. all i do is shut the car off, and start it again and it will read a full tank. is this just a bad sensor? anyone know how to fix it? please tell me i dont have to drop the gas tank.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Probly the sending unit going bad. You have to drop the tank and replace the whole unit.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

that sucks. is there any "how to"s on taking the gas tank off? never done anything like that
Old 10-24-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sabbath87
that sucks. is there any "how to"s on taking the gas tank off? never done anything like that
just cut in access hole from inside your car and save yourself the misery of dropping the tank. look up "fuel access door" in the search
Old 10-25-2009, 03:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slayerized6
just cut in access hole from inside your car and save yourself the misery of dropping the tank. look up "fuel access door" in the search
Agreed because otherwise you have to drop the catback and rear to drop the tank.

Before you do this however run a couple bottles of the Chevron Techron Injector cleaner that says it cleans the sulfer off the sending units. There are two formulas so you have to get the one that talks about this....
Old 10-27-2009, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Agreed because otherwise you have to drop the catback and rear to drop the tank.

Before you do this however run a couple bottles of the Chevron Techron Injector cleaner that says it cleans the sulfer off the sending units. There are two formulas so you have to get the one that talks about this....
this will be step one! thanx a lot for the help. it hasnt done it the passed few days so maybe something simple like this will help. if not, then it looks like ive got some work on my hands
Old 10-27-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope the Techron works for ya. I run a big bottle through mine at the first fillup after each oil change as a part of my routine maintenance......
Old 10-27-2009, 03:41 PM

Finally a question I can add an answer too!!!

I have this same problem. I can be sitting at a light with a full tank, then look down and watch my gauage go to E suddenly. When I let go of the clutch and move, it goes right back up. Other times it starts on E and over 5 minutes or so it will slowly rise.

As others note, it is complete hassle to fix this if it requires a sending unit. My mechanic said the part isn't too bad, but the labor will be very costly. Total to fix would be in the $600-800 range with parts and labor. In otherwords, figure out your mileage and multiple by 15 (gallons) and fill up before you hit that number. Too much else to do before fixing the sending unit.

I get 16mpg, so I fill up when I hit 200. That gives me roughly 40 miles reserve...

I did not know about that Techron stuff however, so perhaps that is my problem as well and just needs a good scrubbing with a couple bottles of that.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ShadowCat
Finally a question I can add an answer too!!!

I have this same problem. I can be sitting at a light with a full tank, then look down and watch my gauage go to E suddenly. When I let go of the clutch and move, it goes right back up. Other times it starts on E and over 5 minutes or so it will slowly rise.

As others note, it is complete hassle to fix this if it requires a sending unit. My mechanic said the part isn't too bad, but the labor will be very costly. Total to fix would be in the $600-800 range with parts and labor. In otherwords, figure out your mileage and multiple by 15 (gallons) and fill up before you hit that number. Too much else to do before fixing the sending unit.

I get 16mpg, so I fill up when I hit 200. That gives me roughly 40 miles reserve...

I did not know about that Techron stuff however, so perhaps that is my problem as well and just needs a good scrubbing with a couple bottles of that.
thats why im trying to learn as much as i can about my car as posible. parts are always cheap compaired to labor. mine dosnt seem as bad as yours, i really havent even had the poblem sense i posted this thread (ls1tech.com must have fixed it for me haha) but im going to use a few bottles of that stuff anyway. it will only help. let me know if it helps for you too.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does it too...it's MUCH worse when there's actually less than 1/2 tank in the car...it's been doing it for a little over a year, but I don't plan on dropping the tank until I build an exhaust (because I absolutely REFUSE to cut an access hole in the cars floor pan...just not my thing), so I've just been dealing with it...I on the other hand get high 20's to low 30's on every tank so I fill up when I'm around 320-330 miles in...300 if I've sat in a lot of stop and go traffic on that tank.

You don't need to shut the car completely off...just click the key to off and right back to run right away, the engine won't even stall, but the gauges will reset. 9 times out of 10 it sends mine right back to the correct level.

For what it's worth, mine actually throws a code (silent code that won't turn on the check engine light) that says fuel level circuit voltage high...you can probably scan yours and find the same code.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Seems like mine only does it when I'm under half a tank. Once it gets below it'll bounce up and down when I'm at a stop light and then when I get going again it's all smooth. Weird issue...
Old 10-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been having the same issue for the past year but I am just too lazy to fix it haha. I already have an access hole from previous fuel pump changes so it shouldn't be difficult at all just need to get off my lazy @$$ and do it.