Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cats vs ory?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cats vs ory?

i cant decide. im getting pacesetter long tubes and everyone says the loudmouth sounds real bad with an ory pipe. how does the loudmouth2 sound? if i got a catted y pipe, how much hp would i be loosing out on? i live in iowa and ive never heard of anyone being bothered with emisions. im basically worried about the sound. its a $210 difference with the catted and the off road y pipe!

this car is a daily driver. i like an aggressive sound but i would like to be able to talk to the passenger without yelling. if the catts make the drive that much better then i will get them. if i can get the same effect going a cheaper route then thats what i will do.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with Jet Hot LTs and catted Y-pipe matched to my existing LM1. It's pretty loud, but I like it.

I've only heard online clips of LM/ORY combos (Youtube has a number of them you can sample). Never in person, though. But they were unattractive enough to make me want to go with a catted Y when I installed my headers.

If you really want to keep your LM catback, I suggest spending the extra cash and getting a catted Y.

If you'd like to hear my setup, go to Youtube and search Cottonwood121. You'll find my 99 Formula in before and after the LT install videos.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:47 AM
On The Tree

ive listened to a few sound clips but the only thing is, you only get the general tone. all the ls1 clips ive heard all sounded good. i was really leaning to the cats tho. i want a "street" car and i cant have an ory pipe everywhere i dont think.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try LS1 sounds.
Theres more clips there.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

I would avoid the cats. These should only be used if you have to pass a visual emissions test, otherwise they are best deleted.

I agree with those who say that an ORY sounds like *** with a LM catback though. But cats are not the only answer, you can get nearly the same results by using bullet muffers in the Y-pipe, and if you want even more sound reduction put a bullet in place of the SLP resonator. Dynomax bullets are pretty cheap, this solution will be cheaper and have zero effect on power.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

^^^ when i was shopping for catbacks, dynomax bullet was the other one i was thinking of buying. kinda wish i would of got that now haha. thats exactly the advise im looking for, thanks!

what about those powerflo mufflers from slp? what if i used a quieter resonator AND the powerflo mufflers? could this be a possibility?
Old 02-06-2010, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Went thru the same debate last summer. Due to inspection + and not wanting rasp I went with cats. Current set up is qtp lt's and catted y/flowmaster merge into stock catback with hooker muffler. I couldn't be happy it has a nice deep tone and screams at wot. I realize I may be leaving a few hp on the table with stock pipes out back but I like the sound and look.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sabbath87
^^^ when i was shopping for catbacks, dynomax bullet was the other one i was thinking of buying. kinda wish i would of got that now haha. thats exactly the advise im looking for, thanks!

what about those powerflo mufflers from slp? what if i used a quieter resonator AND the powerflo mufflers? could this be a possibility?
Oh so your back. An you got the LM1. We tried to tell you. I remember the thread you started a long while back about the LM exhaust or what to get for an exhaust or headers one. If you want cats then get the New design TSP Catted Y. But you do know SLP sell the powerflo conversion kit also. That you should be able to mate to your existing SLP system. You may want to look into that. I think detoxxx a member on here has the powerflo setup and he said it doesn't have any or if much rasp and drone. You may want to look at that kit before you get the Catted Y. Here's the link for the Coversion: http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...86&BIG=31086-1
If youd don't want to do that then I would say get the Catted Y but I think the conversion will be your best option. IMO
Old 02-06-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would put a spiral flow muffler in place of the Loudmouth muffler.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

ive looked at those mufflers too. seems like they would give me a little back pressure. the way its going to be right now, its about as free flowing as i can have it with a 2.5 in catback. im going to have to keep those in mind. thanx
Old 02-07-2010, 02:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I run two of them on my true duals, and my car made as much power through them as it did two open cutouts on the older y-pipe setup. It also made 787 on the spray through these mufflers. So based on my results thus far, I would say back pressure is minimal.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

was it noticeably quieter?
Old 02-07-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depends on what you can handle. I have no cats and a magnaflow exhaust system with an electric cutout. With the cutout open, it gets to much sometimes. If your car is a daily driver like you say, ide think about getting a quieter exhaust.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a H/C/I car with magnaflow cats and Hooker CB. I think my car would be too loud w/o cats to mellow it out a little.

Also a lot of people underestimate how much a crappy Y merge will affect sound but it can cause rasp and shitty sound. PS, old style TSP and many other Y's suck and crash the gasses together. A good flowmaster or ARH style merge can make for a really clean sound.....
Old 02-07-2010, 11:08 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Also a lot of people underestimate how much a crappy Y merge will affect sound but it can cause rasp and shitty sound.
Very true. I used to have Bassani headers with their ORY-pipe, it was a very well built merge (it replaced my stock manifolds/cat delete pipes/SLP Y-pipe setup). Without changing the catback, I noticed almost total elimination of rasp.

But true duals are always the best answer for sound, IMO.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a Loudmouth 1 w/ Catted headers and it isnt that bad at all.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know why everyone hates on cats. I have Kooks LTs with their catted y-pipe and borla exhaust, and I'm making 360 rwhp 375 ft lbs...and from what I've seen that's more than most are making with just bolt ons that have an ORY. The cats smooth out the rasp from my borla catback but it's still loud as **** with a very aggressive tone, and I pass emissions no problem.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:34 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by ncfastls1
I don't know why everyone hates on cats.
Not everyone needs them to pass emissions, so unless you have a visual inspection or sniff test, there is no good reason to buy them when doing headers. But, there are reasons not to have them:

1) No matter how well the cats flow, you ARE losing some level of power. Maybe only a few HP, depending on the rest of your setup, but there would be a loss of some kind. If you plan on major internal mods or forced induction, there will be significant gains by deleting them.

2) Cats don't last forever, especially aftermarket cats, and especially if you have a big cam with a lot of overlap. No cat is designed to "filter" that much raw fuel long term. So it's one more part you didn't need that cost more up front, AND you may have to deal with replacing it later.

3) Cats do smooth out rasp, but there are much more affordable options that won't have as much impact on exhaust flow, like bullet mufflers - cheaper and less impact on power.

4) If you can find a catback and Y-merge that doesn't rasp without cats (or go true duals), then the only thing that adding cats will do is complicate the exhaust system by making clearances tighter when running Y-pipe or duals, create additional connection points that can leak, spend extra money for a loss (no matter how small) in power, and add a part that can fail.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

i just ordered the tsp ory pipe. anyone else got this? how well is the merge on it compaired to other y pipes? is it good or bad in general? is the pacesetter one better? ive always heard texas speed is a goog company so im sure i will love the results.

one more thing im curious on... has anyone had a dyno with simular mods to mine? slp lid, slp catback, pacesetter headers, ory pipe. i know this isnt an original setup (seems like everyone had the same thing at one time) so i was just wondering how much power i might have a the rear wheels.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sabbath87
i just ordered the tsp ory pipe. anyone else got this? how well is the merge on it compaired to other y pipes? is it good or bad in general? is the pacesetter one better? ive always heard texas speed is a goog company so im sure i will love the results.
The TSP Y-pipe is one of the best on the market. (If it were stainless steel, then I would call it the best. Of course, then it would cost alot more.)

I've heard adjusting it once its on the car can be tricky, but the fact that it allows for the necessary adjustment is a good thing.

It also includes the Flowmaster Merge, which is great for airflow and is supposed to cut down on rasp. Which will definitely be necessary considering you're going with LTs/ORY/LM Exhaust setup.

Once you complete your install, you should definitely post up with a video or sound clip. I'm very curious as to hear how an ORY with the Flowmaster Merge sounds matched to SLP's Loudmouth.

Good luck with your install.