New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro vs. bird

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004 | 09:27 PM
Teching In

Default Camaro vs. bird

Okay so I am getting an LS1 and basically it is a big toss up. There are major and minor differences about birds and camaros. I want to know from all of you which you think is better and why. I mean is there any huge positive or negative about either one? I want the car mainly for performance reasons if that helps.
Old 01-13-2004 | 09:30 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/124180-chevy-pontiac.html
http://ourworld.cs.com/jrpws6/ls1.txt
Old 01-13-2004 | 09:38 PM
Launching!

What ever car you like the looks and interior better. Neither is faster than one another.
Old 01-13-2004 | 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

My vote would be of course for the WS6.
Old 01-13-2004 | 09:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

I vote Trans Am (also WS6), Formula (also WS6), Firehawk (formula or T/A style), Z28, or SS.

Oh wait. I guess that doesn't really answer your question though.

I like them all!
Old 01-13-2004 | 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm...you will see a higher quality interior in the Birds...and i personally like the aggressive body lines...but the camaro is much cheaper and has the sleek look....its very much a personal opinion....good luck

Wes
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:07 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys that is some good information and you sure are fast about writing back. I have looked into the formula alot, and I really think that is what I want to go with. It's lighter than the TA and not as bulky, though the TA does look slick with it's ground effects and back hatch. Since I do want it for performance reasons I think that formula is the way to go. I really need to get out and drive both to see which i prefer, but it's hard to find one to drive. Another question is 6 speed or auto? I mean the 6 speed is so fun to play around in, I've driven one a few times, but the auto is consistent and less hasly for a daily driver. I also know the 6 comes with more power but a high stall converter in an auto would make up for it. What do you all think?
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by fbody enthusiast
I also know the 6 comes with more power but a high stall converter in an auto would make up for it. What do you all think?
Nope. Same power, same motor auto or manual.

The manual will dyno higher at the wheels though due to less drivetrain loss.

I prefer autos for any type of driving (racing, cruising, whatever), but that's a personal decision. Get what you like the best.
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:10 PM
Teching In

But you see that money issues are involved here so as much as i would love the WS6, it just ain't happenen. Unless you can find one for like 9 or 10 grand. GOOD LUCK!
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Nope. Same power, same motor auto or manual.

The manual will dyno higher at the wheels though due to less drivetrain loss.

I prefer autos for any type of driving (racing, cruising, whatever), but that's a personal decision. Get what you like the best.

Interesting information, and as usual good to know. See all the guys I hang out with drive the 6 speed and tell me to go with that. But i wasn't really sure. Do guys look down on girls who drive the auto bc they think girls can't drive stick?
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:18 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

nope, i dont look down on anybody who cant drive stick. i prefere the m6 just for pure fun, it cant be beat. the tranny decision should be made by your driving style. i cant stand autos and all my cars have been manuals but thats just me. go drive both and see which one fits you better. once you start modding its all equal.
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrp
nope, i dont look down on anybody who cant drive stick. i prefere the m6 just for pure fun, it cant be beat. the tranny decision should be made by your driving style. i cant stand autos and all my cars have been manuals but thats just me. go drive both and see which one fits you better. once you start modding its all equal.

Well see i drive my boyfriends 6-speed, and i do like it but for daily driving i don't know if it would be a hassel or not. It would probably just need some getting use to bc i usually drive auto.
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

I agree with jrp on the decision process. I would never 'look down' on anyone for transmission type selection.

Hell, I hate manuals. Performance car or not, every time I drive a manual trans car I can't wait till I get to my destination so I can stop driving the car. To me, shifting is just plain annoying. I find an auto with a nice stall to be far more fun for ANY type of driving (racing, cruising, daily drive, etc.)

All personal choice. Don't worry about what 'others' say. Buy the trans type YOU like, as you're the one that's going to be driving the car.
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:33 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

only on an ethusiast board can be be on the opposite side of the spectrum and yet still aggree

FWIW it sounds like the auto would be more your style. if you just plan a few bolt ons and its just gonna be an around town daily driver the a4 fits the bill.
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:35 PM
Teching In

Yup I like what I am hearing. This place is so SWEET. I can come on here and ask the stupidest questions and you all just answer me like it was normal. I never usually get this otherwise. Thank you for all the help.
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrp
only on an ethusiast board can be be on the opposite side of the spectrum and yet still aggree

FWIW it sounds like the auto would be more your style. if you just plan a few bolt ons and its just gonna be an around town daily driver the a4 fits the bill.
But see i plan to do more than that. I want like 11 second daily driver here. Turns heads and leaves em in the dust, nothin but tail lights. See what i mean.
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jrp

We are all united by a common love of cars, especially F-bodies. We may have totally different views on what 'fun' is in reguards to trans type, but we can all argree that either choice can be great depending on what one likes!
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Smile

Yup I like what I am hearing. This place is so SWEET. I can come on here and ask the stupidest questions and you all just answer me like it was normal. I never usually get this otherwise. Thank you for all the help.
An honest question is never a stupid question. Glad we could help.
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:49 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

But see i plan to do more than that. I want like 11 second daily driver here. Turns heads and leaves em in the dust, nothin but tail lights. See what i mean.
stalled a4 then. 11's with an m6 will require a nice clutch and better invest in a 12 bolt since the 10 bolt will be biding its time. a4 is a bit more forgiving on the rear end the the m6.
Old 01-13-2004 | 10:52 PM
Teching In

Talking

I realize a stronger rear end would be necessary. But don't you think reving it to 6 and dumping it with a pair of slicks on the back, and seeing it catch and break would be awesome. I would love to see it. and what a display of power. Better hope it happens with alot of people around.