Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric cutout question

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric cutout question

Whats up people... so heres my dilema. I live in California. For those of you who dont know, we have very strict smog regulations. I used to live in Texas where that didnt matter, but thats another story. Anyways, I have an electric cutout that I want to install. I'm wondering what effect, power, or sound I'll get. My setup is pretty much stock. I'm running a flowmaster 40 series exhaust on a stock y pipe (yes i know i need to get rid of it). I was told that in California i wouldnt be able to modify anything in front of the y pipe. Meaning that the cut out would have to be installed after the Y between it and the the exhaust. With the cats still being on and no headers, will I hear a difference? I want my **** to be loud! But I'm under the gun with a few laws round these necks fellas... any kind words??
Old 07-27-2010, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

It will be loud with the cut out open. Its also illegal in Cali to have a cut out.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:11 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You will definately hear a difference since the cut out will allow you to bypass the muffler. I would also expect you to pick up some power bypassing the Flowmaster. Flowmasters are not knows for making great power.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First off, if you have the stock cats you can expect very
little from the cutout besides sound. I think when I looked
at this, it showed something like 5 lb-ft and only at higher
RPM (not long before the motor ran out of breath).

If you've got good pipe you can see a lot more out of it
but that doesn't look to be in the cards for you.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most everyone with a cutout, including me, has it after the Y-pipe merge.

I still have stock manifolds, stock cats, and the stock Y-pipe and with the cutout open it's loud. I wouldn't want it any louder or it would be annoying and would rattle the **** out of your interior.

My e-cutout is the best mod I've done so far, it sounds awesome, it's not so loud that it's annoying, and when I have to leave for work at 5 am I can be quiet and not get letters from the neighbors.

All that being said, a cutout will still make you fail inspection in all 50 states. With it closed you'll pass smog but when they put the car up on the lift they'll see the cutout.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Latch
Most everyone with a cutout, including me, has it after the Y-pipe merge.

I still have stock manifolds, stock cats, and the stock Y-pipe and with the cutout open it's loud. I wouldn't want it any louder or it would be annoying and would rattle the **** out of your interior.

My e-cutout is the best mod I've done so far, it sounds awesome, it's not so loud that it's annoying, and when I have to leave for work at 5 am I can be quiet and not get letters from the neighbors.

All that being said, a cutout will still make you fail inspection in all 50 states. With it closed you'll pass smog but when they put the car up on the lift they'll see the cutout.

****, i wasnt counting on them actually lifting the car and looking under it. i sat around once when i had a smog done and all that the guy did was shove the exhaust regulater pipe in the back end of the car and that was that... i just got it smoged and its due every two years... i guess 40 of 50 bucks to have it put on and taken off for smog isnt much to pay... thanks for your insight!!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by txmanincali
****, i wasnt counting on them actually lifting the car and looking under it. i sat around once when i had a smog done and all that the guy did was shove the exhaust regulater pipe in the back end of the car and that was that... i just got it smoged and its due every two years... i guess 40 of 50 bucks to have it put on and taken off for smog isnt much to pay... thanks for your insight!!
Well you should be good for passing smog but NOT for the state inspection, where they will put your car on the lift.

I guess you could have the cutout clamped on instead of welded in, that would make it very easy to make the exhaust legal for the inspection.

The best thing you could do IMO is find your local F-body club and find out what they're doing to pass the inspections. Chances are they know someone who works as a state inspector at a garage somewhere.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Well you should be good for passing smog but NOT for the state inspection, where they will put your car on the lift.

I guess you could have the cutout clamped on instead of welded in, that would make it very easy to make the exhaust legal for the inspection.

The best thing you could do IMO is find your local F-body club and find out what they're doing to pass the inspections. Chances are they know someone who works as a state inspector at a garage somewhere.
They put your car on a lift? Every time I go for emissions they hook the computer up to the OBDII, look for codes and say you passed.

As far as inspection, they don't even look under the car. Once in a while they'll put a floor jack under it to check out the brakes but that is it. They've never actually raised the car or looked under it. Maybe it's just my inspection people but I've gone to 3 different stations with my cars.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2cam
They put your car on a lift? Every time I go for emissions they hook the computer up to the OBDII, look for codes and say you passed.

As far as inspection, they don't even look under the car. Once in a while they'll put a floor jack under it to check out the brakes but that is it. They've never actually raised the car or looked under it. Maybe it's just my inspection people but I've gone to 3 different stations with my cars.
California is pretty hardcore on their emissions laws. I wouldn't doubt that they actually get under the car and see whats there.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2k2cam

For my VA state inspection, yes, they had it on a lift. They had taken the wheels off to inspect the brakes, they also inspected the exhaust.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They are supposed to visually inspect to make sure you have cats and will find it then...... unless they are lazy.......
Old 07-28-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

I've gotten my car smogged twice in CA both with the cutout installed and the tech never said anything. They are more concerned about you having cats and that the O2 sensors are in their proper locations. Also, most smog places don't even have lifts so I wouldn't worry about them doing that, also, CA does not have official state inspections so I wouldn't be worried about that either.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wait, CA doesn't have a state inspection? You know, checking to make sure your brakes and tires are worth a damn? They just smog you?
Old 07-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
I've gotten my car smogged twice in CA both with the cutout installed and the tech never said anything. They are more concerned about you having cats and that the O2 sensors are in their proper locations. Also, most smog places don't even have lifts so I wouldn't worry about them doing that, also, CA does not have official state inspections so I wouldn't be worried about that either.
Good lookin out! I figured they werent illegal since a muffler shop aggreed to put them on for me but they wouldnt take off my CATS no matter what I offered. LOL they probobly thought I was a cop. They want to charge 80 bones to install, but I think I'm gonna take it to TJ where I've had work done before. They only want $25.

Wait, CA doesn't have a state inspection? You know, checking to make sure your brakes and tires are worth a damn? They just smog you?

JUST A SMOG BOSS... they are mostly concerned with the environment out here. I attended a Hot Import Nights car show at the convention center in LA once for ***** and giggles... after the show was over, cops were outside pulling people over left and right just to pop open hoods. every one of them had a little notebook with what I'm assuming was a list of illigal parts...
Old 07-28-2010, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

In that case then you stand a good chance of sneaking it by them. That's weird man, no safety inspection, just smog...
Old 07-28-2010, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In that case then you stand a good chance of sneaking it by them. That's weird man, no safety inspection, just smog...
yup, when i registered my truck here all i needed was a smog slip. i have three vehicles that i've taken to get smogged a few times over the past 6 years and not once was a tech inspection done nor did they put any of them on a lift.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

every body from Cali should move to TEXAS ,it would make hot rodding so much funner .how many drag strips are in TEXAS?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by garygnu
every body from Cali should move to TEXAS ,it would make hot rodding so much funner .how many drag strips are in TEXAS?
I considered driving 9 hours to El Paso just to register my car there. My boi did it and got a ticket for having a California drivers license as well as a Texas drivers license. You have to pick a residence and surrender the other. This place bites!!

Quick Reply: Electric cutout question