Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP lid and MAF

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SLP lid and MAF

I recently purchased the SLP lid, 85mm SLP MAF, and smooth bellows all from separate sellers on eBay. The SLP lid has a quarter-sized circular hole in the lid on the driver's side. What can I use to plug the hole since it is not needed on my 99 TA? Also, the 85mm SLP MAF did not come with a coupler. So, what can I use between the SLP lid and the SLP MAF? Can I use the stock part that connects my Ram Air lid to the stock 75mm MAF or do I need to buy a different coupler? If so, where can I buy the coupler separate from the MAF? The smooth bellows fits perfectly on the downstream side of the MAF. So, the smooth bellows should fit into the TB. Thanks in advance, Michael
Old 11-19-2010, 04:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by man2004
I recently purchased the SLP lid, 85mm SLP MAF, and smooth bellows all from separate sellers on eBay. The SLP lid has a quarter-sized circular hole in the lid on the driver's side. What can I use to plug the hole since it is not needed on my 99 TA? Also, the 85mm SLP MAF did not come with a coupler. So, what can I use between the SLP lid and the SLP MAF? Can I use the stock part that connects my Ram Air lid to the stock 75mm MAF or do I need to buy a different coupler? If so, where can I buy the coupler separate from the MAF? The smooth bellows fits perfectly on the downstream side of the MAF. So, the smooth bellows should fit into the TB. Thanks in advance, Michael
The MAF should have came with a 3inch long piece that connects the lid to the MAF (same material as the bellow) The stock part wont mate. ... The opening on the side of the lid, get creative and plug it however you'd like.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Go to Lowe's/Home Depot in the nut and bolt isle look in the specialty drawers and they have lots of plugs, caps etc that should work, if you need use a little silicone type sealant, epoxy, whatever. I've got a couple on mine plugging the fogger holes from the PO, and JB weld on the crack in the neck. Ghetto, but works.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Any ideas for getting a coupler for the lid and MAF? When I bought the MAF, the coupler did not come with the MAF. Thanks again!
Old 11-19-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The coupler that SLP ships with the MAF is a cut-off
portion of a specialty Fernco piece - 3.5" iron to
clay pipe. I have the number saved on some other
computer, that I found on the hose end of mine.
Not commonly found at Home Depot but available
on the internets. You could also look at Baker
Precision, but those are shinier and more pricey.

I used a plastic chassis plug from Lowe's, as above,
with some black weatherstrip cement for security &
seal.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought a ftp 98mm lid and it fits perfectly with the 85mm MAF no work required. If you can return the lid, I'd say go ahead and do it and buy the 98mm lid, I gain 12rwhp going from stock airbox to 98mm lid and 85mm MAF
Old 11-19-2010, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Great advice. If you can find the part number for the Fernco piece that would be great. I looked at the FTP and kinda wish I spent the extra bucks for that one now. But, I think I will stick with the SLP since I already have everything except the coupler. Thanks!!!
Old 11-19-2010, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

I found this coupler on eBay. It is $14 shipped. I will order it and give it a try.
Once I get it installed I will give an update. Thanks again for the ideas.

Speed Unlimited, Suitland, MD
Vibrant 12701 Silicone Coupler 3.5" ID x 3" Long Black
Brand: VIBRANT
Our Part Number: V3212701
Manufacturer's Part Number: VIB-12701

Quick Reply: SLP lid and MAF