Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Body Bypass Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Body Bypass Parts

Wanted to pass along this info. I just finished bypassing the TB. I'm local to Thunder Racing and tried to get their kit but they were out. So I went to Home Depot(Thunder recommended), AutoZone, Napa and Advanced Auto parts looking for the parts I needed and finally found them at O'Reilly. Here are the parts you'll need to complete this. One 3/8" to 1/4" reducer and two 1/4" vacuum caps. The fit was tight but I didn't need any additional hose. Hopefully this will save someone from having to do like I did and take the intake apart then go shopping for parts. Took me 20 min. of work and 2+ hrs of shopping. Good Luck.
Old 02-08-2004, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

no kidding. i paid $10 for mine online, took 2 mins of shopping and 20 minutes to put on.

heh.

Don't really need those vacuum caps, unless you think some ants are gonna crawl up in there? And if they do what damage will it do?
Old 02-08-2004, 12:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by samz28
no kidding. i paid $10 for mine online, took 2 mins of shopping and 20 minutes to put on.

heh.

Don't really need those vacuum caps, unless you think some ants are gonna crawl up in there? And if they do what damage will it do?

what you did requires patience (shipping), that's a quality I am severly lacking in.
Old 02-08-2004, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

yah im patient when it comes to putting on mods that dont really help any lol.

i got some clear sidemarkers i need to fix up (RTV) and put on someday...
Old 02-08-2004, 08:42 PM
master of the "jack"stand

I just did this today with a kit I bought on eBay for $8. It came with clamps and extra hose and some bogus instructions. All I used was the little 3/8 to 1/4 reducer out of the kit and re-used the clamps that were on the hose. Like tnnntj said, it is pretty tight, but I think it will clear the pulley. Now I have some clamps and rubber hose to use on whatever.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:50 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see why everyone needs the reducers. Just used a hose that was big enough to fit on the radiator nipple and tightened it down enough on tb end. I had $3 in parts. I need to get them on eBay! I really didn't think people were paying for the kits.
Old 02-08-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are there pics of how to do this TB Bypass mod? I tried searching for it, I'm sure I saw something like that before, or maybe someone knows a sight w/ pics? I've already tried install university.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:58 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put a rag under neat the throttle body to catch the coolant. Disconnect the water lines going into each side of the tb and drain. Remove all the old hose going from the top of the radiator and the engine. Cap off the tb "nipples". Run the hose from the top of the radiator to the engine. Zip tie it to something. You're done.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FenixSS
Are there pics of how to do this TB Bypass mod? I tried searching for it, I'm sure I saw something like that before, or maybe someone knows a sight w/ pics? I've already tried install university.
www.installuniversity.com they've got step by step with pics.
Old 02-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Launching!

I just did it this weekend myself because I also have the patience problem and can't wait for UPS. But it was pretty easy. Here is what I bought.

1 - 3/8" to 1/4" barbed brass fitting
1 - 1/4" barbed brass fitting
1 - 1/4" brass joint
1 - Teflon tape
1 - 1 foot of 1/4" hose
1 - Assorted pack of vaccuum caps

I bought the hose because I thought it would look so much better to run the hose along the front then come accross. And the brass is not even noticeable because I ran it that way. I reused the same clamps. Why spend the money when they are good.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

All I needed was a bent 4" piece of stainless 1/4"
tubing (from junk pile) and a hacksaw to cut the
coolant nipples and boss clean off the underside.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Launching!

There is an even easier way to do this mod and again only costs you about $2-$3 bucks in a 3 parts. Go to any auto parts store and pick up a 12in section of 3/8 brake tubing normally its green. Undo the hose's from the TB and cut them to length of what ever you feel looks good and how you want it. Then bend the tubing very slowly using something like a punch or something on the inside os the tube so you don't put a kink in it. Once it's bent to how ever you want put the tubing in the hose ends you cut and clamp....Your done
I rand mine from the colant nipple on the block straight forward, then bent the tube to a curving 90% bend to hook to the hose going to the colant nipple on the radiator. I fhad had pic's with me I would host them looks very clean and neat.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Put a rag under neat the throttle body to catch the coolant. Disconnect the water lines going into each side of the tb and drain. Remove all the old hose going from the top of the radiator and the engine. Cap off the tb "nipples". Run the hose from the top of the radiator to the engine. Zip tie it to something. You're done.
I was thinking the same thing last night. I bought the BMR bypass kit a little while ago cause I was ordering other things at the time and after all was said done I said DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY. The nipples don't fit ont the ends of the TB, so as you are struggling to get the other hose (one that connects to the engine) off coolent is spilling out. The fitting was the same size/diameter on each side so it took me forever to get in. I sliced my hand, broke three clamps and after it all, I hate the way it looks. Its very close to the pulley/balencer and looks too tight. I would have rather gotten a 18" piece of hose and routed it from the engine connector across the gulley, along the radiator shrowd and in to the radiator connector. Good Luck
Old 02-09-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Addict

you dont want coolant to be trapped in there. Think about that. if theres any coolant trapped in you'll be doing a big OPPOSITE of what you started out to do.

The coolant would be trapped and heat up.

Thats why i wonder why you bother putting those caps on. It's not like they do anything but keep spyders from crawling in a space thats never gonna be used. The caps i put one surely wouldn't withstand 10psi of water (temp) pressure?!?!?!

clear the water out b4 you put the caps on.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Bypass Parts