New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Choosing a CAM.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choosing a CAM.

Can a TR Trex CAM go on a stock 99 trans am firehawk, and is $280 a good price for pacesetter longtubes, coated with ceramic 2000?
Old 11-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Launching!

That is a good price, and what do you mean stock? I don't believe they will have any P/C clearance issues but I would HIGHLY reccomend you upgrade your pushrods and valvesprings.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BStowers023
That is a good price, and what do you mean stock? I don't believe they will have any P/C clearance issues but I would HIGHLY reccomend you upgrade your pushrods and valvesprings.
It is a MUST to upgrade your pushrods and valvesprings with that cam. Also, a new timing chain and oil pump would be a good idea. It is a big cam for stock heads, and a lot of people run it without any ptv clearence issues. However, you need to measure just to be on the safe side cause it gets close.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KevinR
It is a MUST to upgrade your pushrods and valvesprings with that cam. Also, a new timing chain and oil pump would be a good idea. It is a big cam for stock heads, and a lot of people run it without any ptv clearence issues. However, you need to measure just to be on the safe side cause it gets close.
The timing chain is also a must yes, but not the oil pump. My oil pump is fine and I run the RapTR cam from TR with ported 853s and I have great oil pressure all the way through the RPMs.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a good price for the headers, are you getting a y pipe also? A cam that big would eat your whole valvetrain, you need to get chromemoly pushrods and springs good to .625 or .650 lift, ls2timing chain, lifters, and a good tune I would call Thunder racing for more info on the cam clearance. The stocker clutch will wear out soon also since you're m6. I got me the TR TRak cam but haven't install it yet. I got it cause I wanted more power down low since it's gonna be a DD and gonna see stop signs and red lights a lot.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:12 PM
11 Second Club

You will need a new oil pump. Get a high volume one oil pump,
Old 11-29-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ive heard a TREX is a pretty serious cam and not very streetable if thats what you meant.

what are your goals?
Old 11-30-2011, 01:55 AM

so what cam is more "streetable" lol i just really like the sound of an ls1 engine cammed, but I gotta have the power to back it up. I was on thunder racing and they have another cam that is a TruTorq with 5 different levels doesnt really say much about each level though :/
Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so what cam is more "streetable" lol i just really like the sound of an ls1 engine cammed, but I gotta have the power to back it up. I was on thunder racing and they have another cam that is a TruTorq with 5 different levels doesnt really say much about each level though :/
The sound is in the LSA, the lower the LSA the choppier it is, Have you read the Cam Guide Sticky, for more Streeatable cam maybe better a TSP 228R, TR 230/236, IMO I wouldn't go bigger than TR Trak or TSP Torquer V3, and LSA maybe 112 for good choppy idle and lower end power, Plus it also depends on the tune too.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

A big cam like that requires alot of mods/boltons to run correctly. Are you A4 or M6?
If you don't have the cash for all the supporting mods then it's gonna run like a dog!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

agreed ^^ valvetrain must be upgraded. do research
Old 11-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by firehawk1999
Any cam can be "streetable" with a proper tune, don't let that be the determining factor. The Tru Torq cams look like well performing cams. I really like the level 2 (223/230 .609/.604 115LSA) and the level 4 (227/234 .616/.614 115LSA) both look like great motor/nitrous cams.

I have the RapTR from thunder racing (236/242 .615/.615 111LSA) which is bigger than both the level 2 and 4 and even with my tune not being spot on, I still daily drive my car to and from work and wherever else I go, and it put down 426whp SAE with just some mild ported stock heads.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

don't install a race cam in a street car .you need a big stall if a A4 and a good tuner for the more radical cams.with the more radical cam you should also get your stock rockers rebuilt.consider a cam like a tsp 228r cam pkg,good power gains but street able.the right LSA and the right exhaust system can make a small cam sound radical.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by garygnu
don't install a race cam in a street car .you need a big stall if a A4 and a good tuner for the more radical cams.with the more radical cam you should also get your stock rockers rebuilt.consider a cam like a tsp 228r cam pkg,good power gains but street able.the right LSA and the right exhaust system can make a small cam sound radical.
What is a "race cam?"
Old 12-01-2011, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

TSP 228R
This cam was tops on my list before I decided to get my head work done at Advanced Induction and buy a cam from them tailored to my heads. If you go to YouTube and search for "228R 110LSA" there is a nice vid of a blue Camaro with this cam that sounds absolutely badass.

The 228R will run with beehive springs because of the .588 or thereabouts valve lift, which saves you some money over a dual spring (required on more lift in my opinion) and pushrods are only a hundred or a hundred and a half for the set. Jake over at Texas Speed is very helpful and should hook you right up.

What is a "race cam?"
A race cam, to me, is one that lists rpm range at numbers like 2500-7000 or tells you that you need a 4000 stall on your converter and 4.56s; try driving that in traffic...BARF

C

While we're talking, a huge camshaft isn't going to get you where you want to go without heads that flow big numbers; no matter how hard you step on the toothpaste tube, after a point the stuff just ain't coming out any faster.

C
Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smokeshow72
This cam was tops on my list before I decided to get my head work done at Advanced Induction and buy a cam from them tailored to my heads. If you go to YouTube and search for "228R 110LSA" there is a nice vid of a blue Camaro with this cam that sounds absolutely badass.

The 228R will run will beehive springs because of the .588 or thereabouts valve lift, which saves you some money over a dual spring (required on more lift in my opinion) and pushrods are only a hundred or a hundred and a half for the set. Jake over at Texas Speed is very helpful and should hook you right up.

A race cam, to me, is one that lists rpm range at numbers like 2500-7000 or tells you that you need a 4000 stall on your converter and 4.56s; try driving that in traffic...BARF

C
I have a car that requires those options and it is my only car and drives just fine It is all in the tune, anything can be properly setup to run at the track or the street, the duration and lift has nothing to with it being "race" or not because any aftermarket cam you put in can be considered "race" because you are installing it to get more performance correct?

Originally Posted by smokeshow72
While we're talking, a huge camshaft isn't going to get you where you want to go without heads that flow big numbers; no matter how hard you step on the toothpaste tube, after a point the stuff just ain't coming out any faster.

C

I agree...to an extent. The cam only records are coming from cars with cams like the TRex and MS4 cam, you never see the 224r or 228r cam only cars breaking records?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Totally agree that cam upgrades are intended for performance and than any cam could be considered a "race" cam (or a "3/4 race cam" as my dad always loved to say), but there are certainly cam grinds that are intended for a circle track, or for a drag strip, that don't perform noticeably better on the street than milder versions. My car is a drop-top and won't likely ever see a track, so my interest was in not getting smoked from a stoplight by my mother in her Camry and in sounding nasty when I rolled through the local cruise; I think a 228R is about right for that.

Cam selection, and preference, is one of the most individual things about performance cars; some guys HATE the same thing that others LOVE and often can't really explain why other than "that's not my bag." If you are happy with the performance you get from your setup, that's awesome. I am sure that your car rips and it certainly must sound great with that cam in it; I'm simply offering another perspective as there are so doggone many different options!

Are cam-only cars really cam-only, or is head porting allowed? I don't know much about that because I am not a dragstrip guy.

C

Quick Reply: Choosing a CAM.