New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on GMMG Catback?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on GMMG Catback?

Hey guys, I'm purchasing an LS1 this spring and I was thinking about putting a GMMG catback on it. Thoughts on anything that might sound better?
I want it loud but not raspy and preferably not over $1000 lol
thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Post up some pics when you pick up the car.

Personally I think GMMG is way overpriced, and gets awfully raspy with headers and no cats. If you want a loud exhaust with no rasp then pick up a set of true duals from Texas Speed, buddy of mine has a set on his car with the bullet mufflers... they're too loud IMO but they sound fantastic, no rasp.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Another vote for duals
Old 02-16-2012, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I think its way overrated
Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I had a GMMG on my car for quite a few years. It's fairly loud, but a lot less loud than duals - and almost zero drone at highway speeds.

To me it was perfect with stock converter, manifolds and cats. It got a little overly loud with a stall, and was unbearable with LT's and ORY. After LT's, I added cats, a powerstick, resonator tips to calm it down. This worked, but by then it was a super-heavy system. I finally got rid of it and went with something much simpler and lighter.

Moral of the story: if you're staying close to stock, it's great, although expensive and heavy. If you're going to mod more extensively, I'd look elsewhere.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I had a GMMG on my car for quite a few years. It's fairly loud, but a lot less loud than duals - and almost zero drone at highway speeds.

To me it was perfect with stock converter, manifolds and cats. It got a little overly loud with a stall, and was unbearable with LT's and ORY. After LT's, I added cats, a powerstick, resonator tips to calm it down. This worked, but by then it was a super-heavy system. I finally got rid of it and went with something much simpler and lighter.

Moral of the story: if you're staying close to stock, it's great, although expensive and heavy. If you're going to mod more extensively, I'd look elsewhere.
This guy summed it up perfectly.
If you're gonna stay close to stock and have the coin, then do it.
I remember test driving an ls1 with headers, ory, no cats.... It sounded like i was driving a nascar car from the inside, lol. With cats and manifolds it sounds pretty damn good on my daily driver. I also have a mild cam and it sounds even better.

True duals should be your #1 choice if you're gonna start modding and are serious about maximizing your dollar.

However if this is gonna be a car that you drive often and don't want it insanely loud, the GMMG is a nice choice.
Has a nice refined muscular tone to it when the car is kept relatively stock.

Before my cam, 100% stock outside of a lid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oByWtCuk068

After my cam with stock manifolds and cats
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq584nlj35M
Old 02-17-2012, 12:30 AM
TECH Regular

love it or hate it. needs cats tho
Old 02-17-2012, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

i currently have a gmmg on my lt1, and it sounds sweet! It doesnt sounds ridiculous enought to make cops chase you, but it definately sets off alarms if done right.
However im switching to true duals soon.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:16 AM

Thanks guys, a buddy of mine also told me to go with duals and I plan on putting some LT's on it with a cam so I'll look into a really nice and cheap dual setup!

Pics will be up when I get it also!

Originally Posted by RevGTO

Thanks man this helped alot, I'll probably do duals to an offroad x pipe to some dynomax bullets
Old 02-17-2012, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

I don't see the point of having duals dumped. IMO it looks horrible especially on a TA. I have the GMMG with mods in sig...it's beyond loud and I get compliments constantly on the sound. Everyone's opinion will be different, you need to hear it in person to judge for yourself.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

^^ good point, id never do duals dumped on a firebird. I think they look good on a camaro though. Gives it a clean look.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Zlow28
^^ good point, id never do duals dumped on a firebird. I think they look good on a camaro though. Gives it a clean look.
Yes definitely, I like it when camaros are jacked up kinda high in the back where you can see the dumps, it just looks badass lol
Old 02-17-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my personal opinion the GMMG is the best exhaust for these cars and I've had just about all of them I went from completely stock with just a flowmaster muffler, to a magnaflow catback, to a hooker aerochamber, to a loudmouth 1, then swapped the resonator for the bullet from SLP, to a set of long tubes and catted y. Hated it so I ponied up the dough to get a GMMG. Loved it but with all the rave about duals I feel into the trend and got a set with set thunders. Now I'm back to a GMMG with an ORY and couldn't be happier. Its all a mater of opinion though and this one is mine. Good luck and welcome to the community.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:30 AM
TECH Resident

I have a GMMG exhaust and I love it its pretty loud but man I love it .. But if your on a budget I would get TDs, but the GMMG I a great exhaust IMO not the best but up there
Old 02-20-2012, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

I'm in the same boat. I currently have TD's dumped with these cheap things that look like bullets with louvers, I bought it this way and hate it.

I really like the sounds of gmmg, but the cost of it has be second guessing buying it. Or I might go with magnaflow as a "cheaper" set up but it should still sound good.

Madhammer (GMMG) sells the system for $675 shipped w/ tips.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Kyles03
I'm in the same boat. I currently have TD's dumped with these cheap things that look like bullets with louvers, I bought it this way and hate it.

I really like the sounds of gmmg, but the cost of it has be second guessing buying it. Or I might go with magnaflow as a "cheaper" set up but it should still sound good.

Madhammer (GMMG) sells the system for $675 shipped w/ tips.
Got mine at Madhammer.com

it sounds awesome at idle, then gets really raspy. To combat the rasp, i put a borla xr-1 in the I-pipe. toned down the idle a bitbut the rasp was about 90% gone in normal driving and about still sounded like a nascar uptop !!!!

As far as drone....there is none... never has been.. and no cats here.

Also i'd like to add... i get a TON of compliments... every time I go out I get thumbs up from peeps....

This video is before i put the Borla xr-1 in the I-pipe... the Borla softened the Cam lope a bit and made it slightly more low toned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPY8RCqis2k

Last edited by Dummybait; 02-20-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

^^ That sounds awesome man. Now you have me favoring Madhammer again lol. I heard you can also put a powerstick in the I pipe to eliminate the rasp..
Old 02-20-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Madhammer is where I got min the second time. The first one I ordered I got from GMMG but that was years ago. Gary, the owner of madhammer is the original manufacture of the kit even from the days when GMMG was selling it. He just built them for GMMG INC. It is expensive but its well worth the money. It can't be beat.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

my set up is obx headers into resonated y-pipe into LM2 cat back w/ lm2 resonator. No cats, no mufflers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV2ij...layer_embedded

I like it, and it's not too loud at all inside the car
Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Madhammer makes all of the "GMMG" catbacks and there is no reason to buy from anywhere else. He sells them for $625 shipped without tips, or $675 shipped with the standard tips. That's where I got mine and the only thing I didn't get with mine was the $100+ markup on the price

It sounds amazing IMO

Quick Reply: Thoughts on GMMG Catback?