New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a '98 M6 and I'm having trouble with the trans and clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought a '98 M6 and I'm having trouble with the trans and clutch.

This is the first LS1 Camaro I've owned, and the only manaul 6 speed I've owned as well. I have owned street bikes and other manual transmission sports cars though, so I don't think my trouble is from inexperience.
The problem is that when I shift from 3rd to 4th, there's a grinding noise and it doesn't go into gear sometimes. The times it will go into 4th, it usually pops out of gear. Other times, it seems to shift perfectly?
The most recent problem is that when I'm shifting at "higher revs", the clutch will just stick to the floor.
I love driving cars and motorsports in general, but I'm not a mechanic. I live in the on I85 in between Greenville SC and Charlotte NC. I was wondering if anyone out there has some ideas or options for me, and could perhaps suggest an honest mechanic in the area. Thanks guys and gals!
Old 04-14-2012, 01:27 PM
Launching!

Default clutch master

the first thing i would do is have the clutch master replaced, the clutch sticking to the floor at high revs is a constant problem with our cars. what happens is at high revs when you push the clutch in and release the fluid dosnt have enough time to retract before you push the clutch again causing the lazy clutch pedal. their are some fixes that you can try before you buy a new one but depending on your mechanical skills you may or may not feel comfortable doing them, the first thing to try would be to bleed the hydraulic system and add new fluid, second option is whats called the drill mod their is a wright up on how to do it youll have to search for it but basically you drill out the restrictor thats in the clutch master hose, the last thing is to replace the clutch master cylinder, if you get a new clutch master youll still need to do the drill mod un less you get a clutch master from tick performance which is what i have and would strongly recommend well worth the money
Old 04-14-2012, 01:51 PM

The car has 108,000 miles on it, so it may just need a new master cylinder anyway. I have a feeling there'll be transmission work to be done too, so how much would the master cylinder job add to a transmission fix? Also, any ideas on what the cost would be to fix the tranny and the clutch both at the same time?
Old 04-14-2012, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by nicholas1978
The car has 108,000 miles on it, so it may just need a new master cylinder anyway. I have a feeling there'll be transmission work to be done too, so how much would the master cylinder job add to a transmission fix? Also, any ideas on what the cost would be to fix the tranny and the clutch both at the same time?
if your having the transmission and clutch done than it would be just the cost of the clutch master, as far as cost of having all the work done if your going to keep everything stock i would guess to say probably 1800 to 2000 a big chunk of that is going to be labor.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:30 PM

The reason I ask is because I won't be doing the work myself, and I don't want to pay someone to pull the trans out twice. I can't afford it. Also, one of my friends was trying to help me change the fluids yesterday, and said he thought(after looking at it) that you'd have to drop the transmission to do it, which we don't know how to do. I just called Pep Boys, and they said it would be around $1300 just to change the master cylinder and the other things associated with that. He said it would be more cost effective to get the clutch and trans work done at the same time(but they don't do manual transmissions). I'm just looking for a guesstimated price on getting the clutch and trans fixed at the same time, of course anyone reading this thread would have to refer to the top to see the symptoms of the car. Also, where I might get this work done in the upper part of SC, or the lower part of NC.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Launching!

um yeah dont take it to pepboys lol. 1300 is way to much you dont have to drop the transmisson to replace the clutchmaster, they are talking about doing the clutch master and slave cylinder, the slave cylinder you would have to drop the transmission, definitely call around check out fbodymotorsports.com they are in Charlotte NC and know f-bodys, if nothing else they could give you a ball park figure on how much it would cost to get your tranny done
Old 04-14-2012, 05:43 PM

Hey thanks buddy. I've been looking for a well established place to get it fixed right. Even the dealership service department guy didn't know what to say to me. It made me think they outsource their transmission work! Thanks again!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try posting on a local forum you might get a better response.