Sponsored by:

Im Going LT's/ORY... Just finished installing them!!! clip

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Im Going LT's/ORY... Just finished installing them!!! clip

Just like to share the news.

Thanks to a member of this site, I was able to finally afford my exhst set up.
I have shorty headers now, so i will be letN you guys know first hand what difference is between the two. Its obvious, but still.
Not sure how much i can get for my shorty headers but they are up for grabs.

If anyone knows of any stickies or threads on how to do the removal and install, let me know.
First time to attempt header/y pipe swap. building on a budget so i cant afford to pay for intall.

Thx...

Last edited by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A; 06-10-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed my TSP 1 7/8" after replacing my pacesetters and made sure to measure how high I needed to inform others. I had my front frame rail (at the door hinge) off the ground 20". This height worked very well.

Disconnect battery so you do not arc the starter, replace plugs/wires while you are down there. Get longer 02's Bosch 13111 to reach the longtube. Passenger side looks tight but is usually the easiest side to get the header in. Use GM MLS header gaskets and stock bolts are fine.

Which headers are you installing?, This would help us in giving you direction.

Might consider replacing your motor mounts while you are in there, even the newest 4th gens are 10 years old.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Addict

There is going to be a big difference on your setup. I would say the motor mounts are a must. I am running poly mm's w/ no complaints.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:13 PM
11 Second Club

Thx guys,

I actually replace the motor and trans mounts a good 8 months ago, along with the recommended Ac Delco platinum spark plugs. This whole car went under a pretty good save. (Rising from the ashes) thread for details.

The headers and Y pipe, that are going in are made by SLP... Seller is throwing in the 02 extensions, and 3 wide bands for the exhaust.
1 3/4 Primaries to 3''... Y is also 3''.

I have 1 cutout at the I pipe of stock Y. Should i leave it in the same spot? Dont want to ruin the y pipe.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

LAST...

Did you upgraded to Poly Motor Mounts when you replaced them during the car's restoration?

If not, you may want to consider doing so. There is no better time than when the Manifolds/Headers are out of the car.

Good luck with your install, although you won't need it. You've had that car into a million pieces and got it back together. Installing LTs and a Y-pipe will be a piece of cake.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mumbles
LAST...

Did you upgraded to Poly Motor Mounts when you replaced them during the car's restoration?

If not, you may want to consider doing so. There is no better time than when the Manifolds/Headers are out of the car.

Good luck with your install, although you won't need it. You've had that car into a million pieces and got it back together. Installing LTs and a Y-pipe will be a piece of cake.
Hi mumble...

Yeah man, the mounts are Poly, both trans and motor, so im good in that area. When the engine and trans were out, those mounts looked like straight up rags, I couldnt believe it, poor car, the previous owner did a poor job upkeeping it.

Im sure it wont be too much of a PITA to do the LT's, but any lil tip will help. I know from brand to brand some fit better than others, hope someone with an SLP set up shimes in.

Thx
Old 05-20-2012, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Has anyone gone with SLP, or know of anyone who has?

All tips welcome,

I have the 20-22 lift is necessary, and appreciate it. Any knowledge/advice is welcome.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Resident

My BBK longtubes went in from the bottom and had no rubbing issues and have at least 3/4 of an inch clearance in every direction. it took about 5 hours to install most of which was spent trying to pull off the OEM stuff. I did the install in the street with a pair of jack stands and a cheapo craftsman jack.

Also AVOID SLP HEADERS. they are poorly designed and bulky.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

If I were in the market for headers if go Tsp. I should add that I have Pacesetters and I love them. No problems at all.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
My BBK longtubes went in from the bottom and had no rubbing issues and have at least 3/4 of an inch clearance in every direction. it took about 5 hours to install most of which was spent trying to pull off the OEM stuff. I did the install in the street with a pair of jack stands and a cheapo craftsman jack.

Also AVOID SLP HEADERS. they are poorly designed and bulky.

Really? I thought SLP makes quality stuff and If the only thing is a bit more difficulty at install, Im sure it'll be worth it. The Price was more than a bargain...
Old 05-21-2012, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

i remember my friend got some as part of a trade and he couldnt give them away. ended up selling the longtubes and y pipe for like 120 to someone locally. and with the primaries being soo long they are sorta restrictive. pacesetter and TSP are nice. i paid 350 for my BBK longtubes and y pipe and it went in sooo easy.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Not to steal OP's post but speaking of the motor mounts, is there any stickies on how to install motor mounts? I have heddmen lts and it seems like it rubs on the k member but I wanna make sure it isn't the mm@'s.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trans.Am98
Not to steal OP's post but speaking of the motor mounts, is there any stickies on how to install motor mounts? I have heddmen lts and it seems like it rubs on the k member but I wanna make sure it isn't the mm@'s.
There are several how to's on here, just do a search.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks. Will do
Old 05-21-2012, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is my understanding that the old style SLP headers hang too low (I know this for a fact), and I also heard that SLP updated them sometime for better clearance. I know the old style would drag on stock height cars.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wink

Originally Posted by LASTOFTHEBREED02T/A
Just like to share the news.

Thanks to a member of this site, I was able to finally afford my exhst set up.
I have shorty headers now, so i will be letN you guys know first hand what difference is between the two. Its obvious, but still.
Not sure how much i can get for my shorty headers but they are up for grabs.

If anyone knows of any stickies or threads on how to do the removal and install, let me know.
First time to attempt header/y pipe swap. building on a budget so i cant afford to pay for intall.

Thx...
Post up a video so we can see how it sounds. Reference point for me atlease.

Also here's a link for the motor/trans mounts installation...if it helps.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html
Old 05-22-2012, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu99T/A
It is my understanding that the old style SLP headers hang too low (I know this for a fact), and I also heard that SLP updated them sometime for better clearance. I know the old style would drag on stock height cars.
Yeah I believe it was the passenger side one that hung too low, if they redesigned that's good but are the ones that the OP have the redesigned ones? I've heard that Kooks headers were the best fit.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Roarin_8
Yeah I believe it was the passenger side one that hung too low, if they redesigned that's good but are the ones that the OP have the redesigned ones? I've heard that Kooks headers were the best fit.
hmm strange.. from what ive heard the Kooks are actually a PITA to install.. i know i didnt even have to take out my starter or steering knuckle for my BBK's lol not the best header on the market but the ball flange seals better than any slip coupling does.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by TyCZ28
hmm strange.. from what ive heard the Kooks are actually a PITA to install.. i know i didnt even have to take out my starter or steering knuckle for my BBK's lol not the best header on the market but the ball flange seals better than any slip coupling does.
That's what I heard but I also heard that QTPs fit good too but not the ones that I got.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wicked383lt1
Post up a video so we can see how it sounds. Reference point for me atlease.

Also here's a link for the motor/trans mounts installation...if it helps.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...otsa-pics.html

I sure will, I make transaction friday if i dont get discourage by reviews, I guess i should post some pics of them and then let you guys tell me what you think.

Quick Reply: Im Going LT's/ORY... Just finished installing them!!! clip