New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am i just too picky? buying an ls1.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am i just too picky? buying an ls1.

Hello everyone ive been on the search for a nice ls1 for the past few months on and off. It seems like i can never get a car to excactly fit what i want, If i find something its nice blah blah theres usually just one thing off its either an automatic or the interior isnt the best or high mileage something of that nature. Not that automatics arent nice just not my preferance. Or the guy says its modded... i ask what mods.. and he says well its got a cam i think its a mild cam, its got i think a bigger crank, different pistons maybe... Im not buying a car that i have no idea what is under the hood. no idea on cam specs no idea if its tuned no idea if im sitting on 130k internals. not to mention i would rather do my own modifications.

Right now im really considering an 01 SS convertable M6 completely stock on 45k miles. its 8-9k i believe. only thing i dont love is the convertable.

Im just asking if im too picky? Everyone seems to tell me that. But id rather be sure my money goes towards something i will really enjoy. What do you guys think?

Much appreciated
Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Better to hold off for one you want than getting in a rush. Im super inpatient and have made this mistake.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

verts are actually quite fun depending on the state you live in... im in Texas and the spring and fall weather as well as nights are really nice with the top down..

i had a T-top car and never took the tops out.. i now have a hardtop
Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

I'm in the same boat. I've only found 1 car that i absolutely wanted but it sold within 24 hours. I've honestly just considered buying a different car. I really want a lower mileage LS2 goat but they are all over 15k.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your not being picky, you just know what you want and shouldn't settle for less. Your perfect car will appear just be patient and something will come around.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

Im in Western CO. I guess the convertable might be pretty nice in the summer. Its black on the black top. But i considered painting it white if i bought it and id really like that. The car is in really good shape, you can tell the previous owner washed the motor and everything on the regular and kept it in great condition. So If i can make up my mind i maybe going to get it this weekend.

Also what exhaust do yall reccomend for a ls1? Best bang for you buck if you will. i wanna wake her up if i do decide to get it.
And like i said this will be my first LS car so excuse the newbie-ness. Does the SS come factory with the intake lid? I know one of the best little bolts ons from what ive read is the SLP lid.
I also plan on picking up a set of LT's eventually do i need a tune after this?

Thanks For all your help and feel free to correct anything i might have gotten wrong.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

The older these cars get, the less picky you can be (unless you want to restore one). How far you are willing to travel will also effect your chances. When cars are new or nearly new, it's easy to find exactly what you want, but this becomes exponentially harder as the years of usage and deterioration pile on.

Decide on the things/options that are deal breakers for you, and then try to be flexible on the second tier choices. 8 years ago, I would have said to hold out for exactly what you want, from condition to mileage to options and everything inbetween - but now that's a pretty tall order, unless your budget has no limit and you have the time to travel anywhere in the country.

Originally Posted by GMTheOnlyWay1
Also what exhaust do yall reccomend for a ls1? Best bang for you buck if you will.
Maunal cut-out. That is by far the biggest bang for the buck. Anything else will cost more and won't make any additional power.

Does the SS come factory with the intake lid?
Most SSs do not come with this. Some were ordered with the "345hp package" from SLP, and those would have come with a Blackwing lid as part of that package. If you find one of these, then stick with the Blackwing lid as it serves the same purpose as the aftermarket lids. These SSs are rare compared to the majority of LS1 SSs that were built, so it's less likely that you'll find one. Also, I think this was only an option in 2002.

I know one of the best little bolts ons from what ive read is the SLP lid.
Yes, if the car didn't come with a Blackwing, then an aftermarket lid would be a great first mod. It doesn't have to be an SLP lid though, any of the brands will make comparable power to any other.

I also plan on picking up a set of LT's eventually do i need a tune after this?
If you want maximum benefit from the headers, then yes.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 11-13-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

I'd say wait, if you don't get what you want you'll just sell it and get what you want later. Save yourself the money and time.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Dream F-body: 2001/2002 SS/Z28, 1 owner. 6spd/leather/all options. Under 50k miles and under $12k. Now is that being too picky???

OP, if you wanna travel (not sure where you live) but this car is 1 owner and looks pretty much perfect, low miles too. They told me they'd do 11,5 out the door.

http://www.schrierautomotive.com/web...raska/4152236/

I'd jump on it but i reeeeaally want 6spd, leather, and the 2 newer years. If it were 2 of those 3 i'd probably get it.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

For that price it seems like a good deal! if i shopped for a 4th gen ss, that would keep a black on black vert 6 speed on the top of my list! 45K miles is pretty low as well
Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

I paid 11,500 for 1 owner 2000 Z28 almost 6 years ago, and that only had 54k. That's what makes me skeptical about paying close to that 6 years later.

Last edited by slikrider20; 11-13-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Staging Lane

the more i consider the vert the more i am thinking of going with it. As you guys have stated these cars are getting older every day and with that means they are harder to come by.

Also are electric cutouts worth it or should i just pick up some exhaust?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Electric cut-outs are not worth it. Why? Because once you open it up, it won't be closed again. If the car just has the stock exhaust, just weld a regular cut out in like posted earlier. I couldn't justify spending 400 or 500 bucks on some cat-back that would achieve the same result.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

If you're looking for a vert, check out cars.com. For whatever reason, that website is FULL of ls1 verts.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.classicchevysugarland.com...TX/vd/12124411

If i was on the market id go buy this one at ALL COSTS...

its todd (TWS) old car that he traded in for his new ZR1 vette... its a rare bright blue metallic and that car is absolutely IMMACULATE.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 PM
TECH Resident

^i just came a little. I think i could even get over those seats with that color.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

But it doesn't have t-tops, any options at all, no cruise i'm sure. I'd still have a hard time spending that much on a stripper f-body. Dangit anyhow.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take your time. youll find the right car
Old 11-14-2012, 01:45 AM
Staging Lane

No i found an SS vert near me that is a good deal that im considering. And yeah that car in texas is gorgeous but simply too far for me.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:32 AM
Teching In

Default stock 00 37k

Hello everyone ive been on the search for a nice ls1 for the past few months on and off. It seems like i can never get a car to excactly fit what i want, If i find something its nice blah blah theres usually just one thing off its either an automatic or the interior isnt the best or high mileage something of that nature. Not that automatics arent nice just not my preferance. Or the guy says its modded... i ask what mods.. and he says well its got a cam i think its a mild cam, its got i think a bigger crank, different pistons maybe... Im not buying a car that i have no idea what is under the hood. no idea on cam specs no idea if its tuned no idea if im sitting on 130k internals. not to mention i would rather do my own modifications.

Right now im really considering an 01 SS convertable M6 completely stock on 45k miles. its 8-9k i believe. only thing i dont love is the convertable.

Im just asking if im too picky? Everyone seems to tell me that. But id rather be sure my money goes towards something i will really enjoy. What do you guys think?

Much appreciated
I have a 2000 pewter M6 t-top. Bought it from the original owner about a year ago
Interior is like new. Its is all original NO mods and as this morning it has 37k miles.
I love it, but my career path is changing. For the right price I will let it go.
I want a car to mid, this one is in to good of shape to start tearing original parts off of, lol!

Quick Reply: Am i just too picky? buying an ls1.