Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Chirp Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Chirp Help Please

I have a 2000 camaro z28, and for a while now ive had a belt chirp. started with a new belt then moved on to the ps pump and alt, and then the belt tensioner and today i did the water pump. yet the thing still chirps away. pull the belt and ran the car with only the accessory drive and no chirp. the idler ive played with it but seems to feel almost new. i bought this car back in august. i was reading up on a post where someone back in 2012 had the same problem and someone recommended to look at a recall gm had on the bracket for the alt/idler. any ideas? i love this car but id love it more if i didnt have a chirp.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

What kind of new belt?
Old 01-04-2015, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HUMBL57
What kind of new belt?
i honestly cant remember. i got it at vato so im sure its a dayco.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:30 PM
Teching In

BULLETIN NUMBER:
00-06-01-008

SECTION:
06 - Engine/Propulsion System

DATE:
March 2000

TECHNICAL

SUBJECT:
Accessory Drive Belt Squeak/Chirp Noise (Install New Double Row Idler Pulley, Generator Bracket and Serpentine Belt)

MODELS:
1998-2000 Chevrolet Camaro
1998-2000 Pontiac Firebird
Built Prior to VIN Breakpoint Y2107225 with 5.7L V8 Engine (VIN G - RPO LS1)

CONDITION
Some customers may comment on a squeak/chirp noise coming from the accessory drive serpentine belt. The noise will be most noticeable at idle and low engine speeds.

CAUSE
The serpentine belt squeak/chirp noise may be caused by misalignment between the idler pulley and crankshaft pulley. A slight rocking motion of the idler pulley causes the misalignment, which results in noise.

CORRECTION
To correct this condition on vehicles built prior to the above VIN breakpoint, instal the new generator bracket, double row idler pulley and serpentine belt following Service Manual procedures.
This is the TSB i saw as well if that helps....
Old 01-05-2015, 01:18 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Well the bulletin only applies to models built in mid-'00 and before. My '02 car had chirping issues too, until I replaced both idlers (A/C and Main) and both tensioner pullies (A/C and Main).

If your VIN doesn't fall within the bulletin range, then you already have the new bracket and new style pulley, therefore it wouldn't help you to change it again.

If you haven't done the idler and/or tensionser pulley on the belt system that's making the noise, then I'd start with that.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had the same problem way back in the day, and like you I swapped a bunch of stuff to fix it but nothing worked. The only thing that eventually fixed my chirping problem was a gatorback belt.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Well the bulletin only applies to models built in mid-'00 and before. My '02 car had chirping issues too, until I replaced both idlers (A/C and Main) and both tensioner pullies (A/C and Main).

If your VIN doesn't fall within the bulletin range, then you already have the new bracket and new style pulley, therefore it wouldn't help you to change it again.

If you haven't done the idler and/or tensionser pulley on the belt system that's making the noise, then I'd start with that.
the only thing i have left is the idler... but it feels fine almost like new.. ill check it out still... my vin ends y2140732 so im guessing that its after the vin break?
Old 01-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Teching In

i just dont understand it.... belt or pulley? lol i started my car today a little bit ago and it was a little bit warm out and there was barely a chirp.. still there just not as bad...
Old 01-05-2015, 07:37 PM
Teching In

also what else is a good belt other than the gatorbacks? id like to be able to go out and buy one not order it...
Old 01-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

I did Gates for my belts, both tensioner assemblies and idler pulleys from Rockauto. Just figured one was chirping so did them all. A few months later my water pump went and when I removed it the bearing play was horrible! So don't rule that out either
Old 01-05-2015, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HUMBL57
I did Gates for my belts, both tensioner assemblies and idler pulleys from Rockauto. Just figured one was chirping so did them all. A few months later my water pump went and when I removed it the bearing play was horrible! So don't rule that out either
i was looking at gates. my waterpump had a little bit of play but once i got it out the bearing felt decent compared to the new one. i got all my stuff at autozone just cause its close. had to get a new pulley for the ps pump from chevy cause i broke the other one cause i was in a rush and in a parking lot. but other than that they've all been auto zone parts. alternator too cause the ps pump peed all over it.... great placement chevy.... lol alternator relocator sooner or later when i have the money to do an actual build. but for now i want this squeak gone
Old 01-05-2015, 10:17 PM
Teching In

On my 2000 ls1 from a Camaro just transplanted I had a chirp as described. new belt, new water pump new ps pump & pulley, idlers replaced and the new belt had a chirp. The fix was another new belt. Quiet and now I have a spare in the trunk!!
Both belts were Dayco I believe.

Tom
Old 01-05-2015, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by toms57
On my 2000 ls1 from a Camaro just transplanted I had a chirp as described. new belt, new water pump new ps pump & pulley, idlers replaced and the new belt had a chirp. The fix was another new belt. Quiet and now I have a spare in the trunk!!
Both belts were Dayco I believe.

Tom
lol tom understands my pain! thanks tom ill probably try the belt AGAIN next, after that the idler. if that doesnt work might as well yank the motor and build it in time that is
Old 01-05-2015, 10:29 PM
Teching In

I had done all of the replacements as part of the transplant, not the chirp. The chirp started in spite of all the new parts. I wondered if I had got some oil on the belt and caused it, so I cleaned all of the surfaces, belt included, but it didn't clear the problem, but another new belt did.

Tom
Old 01-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by toms57
I had done all of the replacements as part of the transplant, not the chirp. The chirp started in spite of all the new parts. I wondered if I had got some oil on the belt and caused it, so I cleaned all of the surfaces, belt included, but it didn't clear the problem, but another new belt did.

Tom
ohh ok that makes sense!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To be honest I didnt really read the entire post - but my A/C belt chirped liked crazy. Had to replace it like once every 6 months
Old 01-11-2015, 12:48 PM
Teching In

just a quick update, changed to a gates micro v belt, and for the most part i dont hear any more chirp or squeal. im never buying a dayco ever again
Old 01-19-2015, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Another way to check and make sure it's a pulley, or belt issue and not a more serious problem is to take your belt off, and run you car for like 10 seconds to see if the noise is gone. Sometimes if you replace tensioners with generic brands the alignment of the pulleys can be off and cause squeaks to keep coming back too.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by McGinnis
Another way to check and make sure it's a pulley, or belt issue and not a more serious problem is to take your belt off, and run you car for like 10 seconds to see if the noise is gone. Sometimes if you replace tensioners with generic brands the alignment of the pulleys can be off and cause squeaks to keep coming back too.
i did that. pulled the main drive off still squeaking. turned out to be ac drive. the idler has some play in it. it clunks when you rock it back and forth. im waiting to have free time to get the bolt out though because it stripped out. yes i did use the right size torx bit as well. maybe this weekend ill do that chase a leak causing a burnt oil smell and smoke next to the front of the driver door and do my valve cover gaskets.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's chirping belt-to-pulley, I have had some success
with manually scuffing the pulley faces / grooves with
320 grit sandpaper. Of course if the chirp is in the
bearings, you need another plan.

Quick Reply: Belt Chirp Help Please