Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Options for CME and quiet

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Default Exhaust Options for CME and quiet

Car currently has a borla adjustable catback BOR-14780, Pace Setter Coated longtubes, Pace Setter Y 3" with cutouts.

In the present state, the car is too loud and I'm not a fan of the way the borla BOR-14780 looks.

http://static.summitracing.com/globa.../BOR-14780.jpg

I want:

-CME look
-Quiet as I can be when cutouts are closed

Is $1500 what I should expect to pay to get a quiet CME setup that I can make loud with the press of a button? Here's what I was thinking:

- Magnaflow 14419 in the I-Pipe - $80
- 2 Magnaflow 12867 behind the axles - $210
- CME tips, elbows and valence - $600
- Electric Cutouts from DMH - $320
- Exhaust shop labor - $100
- Body shop labor - $200

Would Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded Muffler 17227 be quieter?

Last edited by 5.7stroker; 10-12-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Imo, I don't think the Dynomax dual outlet will be any quieter, probably about the same. The advantage would be that it'll likely be easier to configure so it would probably fit better, an cost less overall.
What I'd probably go with is the Magnaflow 14419 in the I-pipe followed by a single E-cutout and either a Dynomax 17227 (2.5" dual exits) or 17536 (3" dual exits). Then into you CME setup.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

What about the stock muffler that comes on a 2000-02 SS? Not the slp exhaust. The Y pipe already has dual cutouts, so I was planning on doing an E-cutout on each.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The gm factory Z28/SS muffler is quiet, but it's heavy and doesn't flow very good. I guess if you already have one, and it's in good condition you could go that route, if you don't mind it not flowing well, but I wouldn't buy one.

BTW, does it run rich when you have the cut-out open ?
If it doesn't then disregard the info below.
The reason I ask is that if the cutouts are closer then 30" to the O2 sensors it can cause the O2s to read a false lean condition and make it run rich. Almost all O2s need a distance of at least 10 time the exhaust pipe diameter from the exhaust exit to prevent possible O2 level errors.

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-12-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
The gm factory Z28/SS muffler is quiet, but it's heavy and doesn't flow very good. I guess if you already have one, and it's in good condition you could go that route, if you don't mind it not flowing well, but I wouldn't buy one.

BTW, does it run rich when you have the cut-out open ?
If it doesn't then disregard the info below.
The reason I ask is that if the cutouts are closer then 30" to the O2 sensors it can cause the O2s to read a false lean condition and make it run rich. Almost all O2s need a distance of at least 10 time the exhaust pipe diameter from the exhaust exit to prevent possible O2 level errors.
My thinking is that when leaving/arriving at the house, cutouts closed. Open all other times. Interesting point on the O2 and cutout location. I'm not sure if the previous owner had the car tuned with the cutouts open, but I would assume so. I need to get it to a tuner and see. I see cutouts in the same location as mine are in many pics on the Y, rather than a single on the I pipe so I'm assuming that all those cars are tuned with cutouts open.
Old 10-13-2015, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you already have an electric cutout in place then just redo the back end to make it quite.

i wouldnt worry about the flow- why would it matter when you can open the cutout when you want to step on it.

as far as o2 sensor go. if were talking about the secondary one. do you still have a catalytic converter?
Old 10-14-2015, 04:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stock400whp
if you already have an electric cutout in place then just redo the back end to make it quite.

i wouldnt worry about the flow- why would it matter when you can open the cutout when you want to step on it.

as far as o2 sensor go. if were talking about the secondary one. do you still have a catalytic converter?
I have 2 cut outs in place that are not electric that are located near where the Y pipe meets the longtube headers. DMH said their electric cutouts will work just fine with it. When the cutouts are blocked and the right side of the borla exhaust out the muffler is blocked, it's still loud as hell. There are no cats on the car. No MAF. Speed density tune. This is the catback that I have:

I want to get a CME and have it quiet as possible when cutouts are closed. I agree, what does flow matter through the catback? If I want flow, I just open the cutouts. So why not use a factory muffler with the CME and why put a cutout on the I pipe if I already have two cutouts inplace right after the longtubes?
Old 10-14-2015, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

oh ok. ya if they can confirm that its the right size then thats your best bet.
with electric cutout as long as the blades doesnt hit anything and correct size then your good.

being loud is subjective. if all you want is tone everything down then go with factory replacement. I wouldnt recomend buying a stock one because of age. if your going to replace it then replace with new ones. theres plenty of quiet ones out there since flow isnt a concern. with that said. have a friend drive the car with everything closed and see how you like it from the outside. ive had setup before that would drone inside and made things louder inside but outside its mild.

I personally like thrush super turbo muffler if you go that route. infact mine is setup just like the borla with an electric cutout where your "tune" it.

and yea you wouldnt need any cutout after the two.

as far as tune goes. since its sd i would assumed that they turn the rear o2 off since the conversion would need a tune and if its tuned its easy to turn it off.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Stock replacement muffler is a WALKER 17670 Dynomax Super Turbo per rock auto for $70 plus shipping. I can get a whole stock catback and I-pipe for $120 used with low miles. I'm thinking maybe throw a Magnaflow 14419 in the stock I-pipe and dump it right off the stock muffler till I get a CME. This way, I can sell the borla and be quieter. The stock I-pipe that I'm looking at was cut by the owner to remove it. Would an additional 14419 in the I-pipe make it quieter?
Old 10-15-2015, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

why not add a resonator in the I pipe? thats whats probably was on there anyways.

and superturbo muffler and quite in general. one should be fine and a resonator if you really want to. with eveything closed on mine its a really quite ride IMO.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

So a Magnaflow 14419 in the I pipe and a stock LS1 muffler is what I'm thinking would be the quietest.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Options for CME and quiet