New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ls1 owner, cam advice.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New ls1 owner, cam advice.

Hello all. I've recently purchased a 2000 Camaro SS with 6 speed T56 transmission. I've been handed down a brand new COMP CAM from the previous owner.
specs are as follows:
ADV DUR: 283 286
DUR@: .050: 231 234 LOBE SEP: 111.0
VALVE LIFT: .618 .612

I was handed this cam with a set of rods and springs (according to the previous owner) were for this cam.

-What performance changes/sound am I to expect from this CAM if I was to put it in?? is this set up worth it or should I shop for another CAM?

I've also been handed down a Melling performance oil pump, what difference does this make as well?

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge
Attached Thumbnails New ls1 owner, cam advice.-20170125_122528.jpg  
Old 03-26-2017, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

That's not a bad cam. It's on the bigger side of mild so you will lose some characteristics of a typical daily driver but it will sound good and performance wise wake it up a lot.

What other mods does the car have? I wouldn't put it in until you have atleast a full exhaust and intake so you only have to pay for one tune.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by sxc Z28
That's not a bad cam. It's on the bigger side of mild so you will lose some characteristics of a typical daily driver but it will sound good and performance wise wake it up a lot.

What other mods does the car have? I wouldn't put it in until you have atleast a full exhaust and intake so you only have to pay for one tune.

I do have a full exhaust with headers and a Magna Flow muffler (it doesn't pop and crackle like I wish it would when the car revving down). But it has a stock SLP intake.....

Any recommendation for the Intake?

Also what Daily driving characteristics am I looking at loosing?

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Andy111
I do have a full exhaust with headers and a Magna Flow muffler (it doesn't pop and crackle like I wish it would when the car revving down). But it has a stock SLP intake.....

Intake manifold my bad. You have a 2000 car so you have the LS1 manifold. You'll want to step up to LS6 mani or even better a FAST92 if funds allow that.

You are adding roughly 50whp so it won't drive like stock basically is all I'm saying and with a good tune it won't be that bad.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:40 AM

any clue if having a muffler would filter-out the goodness?
Old 03-26-2017, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

any clue if having a muffler would filter-out the goodness?
It's not helping if that's what you're asking lol Kooks true dual exhaust is what I have and recommend to others.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

For the intake I recommend going with a Fast setup if you can afford it. With a cam that size you want it to breathe so big intake and big exhaust will definitely help with performance.

Daily Driving characteristics can change based on the tune, a good tune can really make the car more enjoyable for street use. For example I have two cars with similar cams both tuned differently and one sucks driving it on the street, partially the stall too but the other is nice to drive on the street. It can cost ya to be cool for sure.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Hello all. I've recently purchased a 2000 Camaro SS with 6 speed T56 transmission. I've been handed down a brand new COMP CAM from the previous owner.
specs are as follows:
ADV DUR: 283 286
DUR@: .050: 231 234 LOBE SEP: 111.0
VALVE LIFT: .618 .612

I was handed this cam with a set of rods and springs (according to the previous owner) were for this cam.

-What performance changes/sound am I to expect from this CAM if I was to put it in?? is this set up worth it or should I shop for another CAM?

I've also been handed down a Melling performance oil pump, what difference does this make as well?

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge

Congratulations on the six speed they aren't a lot of fun!

I bought my 99TA new in Feb of of 1999 and will share my experience and insight for what it's worth.

How do you plan to use the car? Daily driver? Weekend car? Drag race? Auto cross?

Do you have another car to drive while this one is down being modified or if it breaks after modification?

Does the car have to pass emissions testing/OBD 2 testing?

Despite having four cars and a truck, I always build with the intent the car can be a daily if push comes to shove. That means the car has to be driveable in bumper to bumper traffic at 3 mph doing clutch roll de- clutch , roll rinse repeat going up hill in the summer with the AC on. Also inching up a parking deck ramp. That all sucks with a big cam. It sucks in general but can be horrible with an ill tempered manual car. Feel free to ignore all of my comments it none of this applies to your situation.

The other factor is do the most fun mods first.

Six speed f body need skip shift delete.
Quality shifter. I like Pro 5.0 other like B&M or Hurst - every one hates the stock shifter for good reason.

GEAR's - the stock 3.42's are fair with a stock car. 3.73's are good but 4.10's are much better.
10 bolts are weak. I have a friend that's broke about half a dozen on the street. New 8.8 rear end or 9 inch rear with 3.73's, 3.90's or 4.10's is one of the very beat mods for one of these cars. I would do that before cam. Ideally 8.8 rear or 9 inch. 12 bolts blow up with sticky tires and an aggressive clutch dumping T56 driver. In any case gears for the 10 bolt.

Any and all cams will be more fun with gears!!!

Next plan for a new clutch as the stock ones often don't hold up well...hp isn't fun if the clutch doesn't hold. Your stock clutch may hold up, mine did for a very long time. Have $$$ set aside just in case.

Next is ALL of the maintenence on the car current? T56 had the oil changed and hydrolics bled? Radiator coolant changed? Radiator in good condition? 10 bolt had the oil changed? New fuel filter? Air filter? Brake fluid change. Good tires? Good brake pads and rotors? And so on. Any SES codes? Fresh spark plugs and good wires?

Now the LS1 intake is fair but at least an LS6 or better intake is a good ideal. Ported TB as well.

Finally cam time!

For a professional install plan on about $1600 to $2400. The car will need to be tuned. The price will vary depending on who and if you or they provide the cam. It can be done for less but valve train, push rods, gaskets, new oil pump install and new timing set add up. Sometimes other issues are found and need to be addressed like water pump replacement.

I'm not a fan of .600+ lift Cams with stock rockers the experts said it side loads the Valve and is hard on the Valve guide. Yella Terra makes a nice adjustable rocker set for about $600

Read up on everything before deciding.

For me the cam you have on hand is too large for a 346 and daily driving 15,000 miles a year.
Others will say GO BIGGER!

It seems to me based on what I read and see that Cams with more than 227 degrees intake duration start to loose too much under 3000 rpm torque for me to be happy with them in a 346 as a daily.

I like Tick's 227/235 SNS 2 and LPE G12 227/235 both have .600+ lift better than the cam you have. Talk to one of the cam experts for cam selection.

If possible talk to car friends and see how their cam'd set ups drive.

My 99TA has a 224/224 .581/.581 lift XE-R cam on a true 113, LSA. It's been a great daily driver cam for over 127,000 miles. 1300+ mile trips no issues. It does have valve train noise

My friend that broke the half dozen 10 bolts thinks it's too much cam for a 346 and should be smaller like a 220 or so

It also beats the crop out of the retainers. So if you do a cam remember it usually requires checking the Valve train and doing maintenance every few years or 30,000 miles for best longevity and peace of mind.

Best wishes with your car and the new cam install.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:23 PM

Hey man, Thanks so much for the inclusive reply of you experience!!

As for the vehicle use, this is my weekend car and will rack up 8000 miles a year if not a lot less. I live in Northwestern Indiana close to Chicago and haven't found any good shops yet to trust handing the car over to just yet.

The car Currently has full headers and Magna Flow exhaust (single big muffler). what do you mean by 10 bolt?? is that the diff or the diff cover??

wouldn't the LS6 intake just shift my power band instead of adding power?

I also have rods, spring and a melling oil pump to go with the cam I have.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:29 PM
11 Second Club

Check out Hoosier Street Cars in Lafayette. Joe will take care of you.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Hey man, Thanks so much for the inclusive reply of you experience!!

As for the vehicle use, this is my weekend car and will rack up 8000 miles a year if not a lot less. I live in Northwestern Indiana close to Chicago and haven't found any good shops yet to trust handing the car over to just yet.

The car Currently has full headers and Magna Flow exhaust (single big muffler). what do you mean by 10 bolt?? is that the diff or the diff cover??

wouldn't the LS6 intake just shift my power band instead of adding power?

I also have rods, spring and a melling oil pump to go with the cam I have.
I'm in Terre Haute, Indiana. I'm not familiar with shops in your area but Norris Motorsports in Plainfield, Indiana is a top notch shop. They will be completing my TA's new ERL 416.They are just outside Indianapolis probably long drive for you but Norris Motorsports will do a very professional install.

10-bolit is short for the rear differential. It's the number of bolt holes in cover. The ring & pinion gears in the 10 bolt are prone to break in six speed cars with sticky tires and hard launching. Automatic transmission cars also break them but usually the 10 bolt holds up longer with an automatic.

The LS6 intake will shift the rpm up a little but it will also gain horsepower. Depending on the other details the LS6 will usually gain 5hp to 25hp depending on cam and other supporting mods. Dyno tuning maximizes the gains. It can also increase torque in the over 3500 rpm range. Here a nice intake article and LS1 intake vs LS6 intake graph on a bigger Motor with supporting mods.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/20-ls...ds-tested/amp/

Old 04-03-2017, 12:34 AM

so I know for fact the I have brand new headers on my car with a full MagnaFlow exhaust. today I just found out that it has an LS6 intake that was installed by the previous owner. A proper cam installation at a professional shop is what's next and I'm willing to invest the money into dyno-tuning for the long term gain.

I will make sure to make the differential my next mod before I upgrade from my 275/18 set of 4 yokohamas.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Mike Norris is a super nice guy and will take care of you . He tuned my car twice and was a real pro at his job..
Old 04-13-2017, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Biggest issue with a cam that size will be low speed drive-ability and cold starting. As stated previously, some of these issues can be helped with proper tuning but you can't completely eliminate them without a much higher idle speed. Its still perfectly manageable, just don't expect it to be as easy to move around in a parking lot as stock. Good luck with the project.

Quick Reply: New ls1 owner, cam advice.