Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gen. 4 Camaro update

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 07:08 AM
12 Second Club

Received 162 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Gen. 4 Camaro update

I got a new personal best yesterday. I ran my car down the track 5 times at Richmond. My best time was a 13.00 @ 106mph, and a 1.9sec. 60ft. That's a big improvement over last year's 14.9 with a 2.2sec. 60ft. Yesterday, I was running about 13.2-13.4, but then someone told me to take the air filter off. I picked up about .2 sec with the air filter off. They also said cutting out the bottom of the air box (free mod) would help. I'll try to get that done this week, if the weather allows.

I'm still running the same Goodyear Eagle street tires that the car came with. I plan on replacing those later this week. I'm thinking about getting either the Nitto 555R, or the NT05R tires. I'm still undecided. I know this car will break into the 12's with good tires.

Are there any other simple/bolt-on mods that will help my car go faster?
Old 04-15-2018, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

Stall converter and then a good tune for the 4l80e /converter set up
Old 04-16-2018, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

I already did that. This is basically a continuation from my previous post about trying to get my car into the 12's. But for those of you just joining us, here's a list of the mods I've done so far:

-SLP air box lid
-LS6 Intake
-EGR delete
-AIR delete
-Kooks 1-7/8" headers
-Kooks catted Y-pipe
-4L80e swap w/Circle-D converter (3200 stall)
-Tuned by Frost
-BMR rear suspension, torque arm, and trans cross-member
-New plugs, wires, fuel pump, and brakes
-KYB shocks
-Nitto 555R tires (on order)

I think that's mostly it. There were some other Misc. parts/supplies mixed in there as part of the mods, but nothing to increase performance. I still need to do the Air box "free-mod". After that, I'm out of ideas. I was thinking the only thing left is heads/cam or forced induction. I'm not considering nitrous, because I want to keep it street legal. This is a street car, not a race car. I just want to make sure those pesky Nissans stay behind me.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

The stall speed is slightly on the low side, and launch is a bit softer with the less aggressive 1st gear ratio in a 4L80E (vs. 4L60E), so that's a small part of the 60-foot problem. But, with some better tires, you should still be able to get that short time much better than 1.9. Looks like tires are already on the way, so that will certainly help.

Originally Posted by Utinator
I'm not considering nitrous, because I want to keep it street legal. This is a street car, not a race car.
Keep in mind, the cats have been relocated due to the LT headers; it doesn't matter that you have a catted Y-pipe - relocating them is in violation of the Clean Air Act (1990 revisions), not to mention the EGR and AIR delete plus aftermarket tune. As far as the USEPA is concerned, the car is technically not street legal at this point. I understand that some folks don't want N2O, but avoiding it strictly based on legal concerns is pretty pointless once you've already violated federal law with emissions system modifications. Not sure what e-tests are like in VA, but in places like CA the car would fail a visual inspection as it sits.
Old 04-16-2018, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you have a 4l60 .suspension parts can help alot when you get some sticky tires .get some drag shocks and stiffer springs .remove the front sway bar for drag racing .after market rear control arms with stiffer bushing help .also check out a adjustable torque arm .
Old 04-16-2018, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If it were me i'd get rid of that email tune and get a good custom tune. I've seen where that alone makes a good difference sometimes
Old 04-17-2018, 04:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Now that's looking better!
Did you have plans on increasing up your horsepower in the future?
Old 04-17-2018, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

I think that was the highest stall they had for a "daily driver". The other converter they had would go up to 4k. That's way too high for a daily driver though. We don't have emissions testing here in Virginia, or any other place I would live. It already passed state inspection, so I'm not worried about the feds coming down on me. I don't think anyone here will rat me out.

It was a custom tune. It just wasn't a dyno tune. "Frost" actually tuned my car while driving it around. He said the dyno tune wouldn't make a huge difference in HP. I decided the few HP gain wasn't worth the cost of running the dyno.

I want to replace the rear axle before adding too much more HP. I'd really like to have the high-mount Vortec super charger, but it won't fit under my SS hood. I finished the air box "free-mod" yesterday.

I could probably do something better with the exhaust. It still has the SLP installed exhaust behind the Y-pipe. I was thinking about installing a "manual" cut-out. I saw one on TSP's website. I could install an electric cut-out myself, but I wouldn''t use it much. I figure the "manual" option would be sufficient. I would only use the cut-out on the track. Any other ideas on exhaust options?