Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shafted by shop on install

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 01:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shafted by shop on install

I recently paid almost $400 to have my headers installed at a shop here in Albuquerque. It has to be some of the worst work I've ever seen.
Here are the issues that have occured so far.
1. Some of the more difficult header bolts were not put back on. Thus causing the headers to walk out and the gaskets to burn up.
2. Rather that disconecting the steering linkage to get the driver side header up, the header was cut instead. The cut was placed in between two of the header ports.
3. A poor job was done welding the two o2 bungs on the headers.
4. The y-pipe disconnected where it meets up with the cat-back several times.
5. An emmissions hook up that formerly connected to the headers (my headers don't have emmisions) was blocked off with a gerry rigged piece of rubber that just pulled off with no resistance.

I'm now left to get this work done on my own so it will be done right. What should I do about the terrible quality of work and the business practices of this shop?
Old 08-17-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

they must be dumbasses... just notch the block about 1/4" and WAMMMY the header slides right in... geeze, Id NEVER go back there again!
Old 08-17-2004, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can be damn sure I"D be back there again. Next time don't even accept delivery of the vehicle. They ruined your headers, they did a pis-poor job on the install, and then expect your money to be good?!!! Go down there and point this stuff out to them, and ask for the play by play on why on God's green earth they think you should have to pay for it. .... Poor quality work for big $$ really pisses me off as I'm sure you can see. If they REFUSE to work w/ you, then write to the BBB, but they're not going to be able to do a whole lot either. Sorry to hear about your trouble man. Ask for the shop owner (or better yet, look him up). Point this stuff out to him. He should replace the ruined header, and do a proper install.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Go back and if they wont refund and redo it, report them to uhm..wtf is it..fair trade organization? If theyre going to take you down take them down with you >=)
Old 08-17-2004, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CaptUSA
You can be damn sure I"D be back there again. Next time don't even accept delivery of the vehicle. They ruined your headers, they did a pis-poor job on the install, and then expect your money to be good?!!! Go down there and point this stuff out to them, and ask for the play by play on why on God's green earth they think you should have to pay for it. .... Poor quality work for big $$ really pisses me off as I'm sure you can see. If they REFUSE to work w/ you, then write to the BBB, but they're not going to be able to do a whole lot either. Sorry to hear about your trouble man. Ask for the shop owner (or better yet, look him up). Point this stuff out to him. He should replace the ruined header, and do a proper install.
You can also report them to the Bureau of Automotive Repairs if they don't want to fix it.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Those guys are a bunch of dousche bags for sure, and it is definately not the last that they will be hearing from me, I assure u. I just needed to vent a little before i go down there and raise some hell.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

"Kick their *** Sea Bass!"
Old 08-17-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what shop was it? just so i know to avoid them if i ever need any work done, (not much around Bloomfield)
Old 08-17-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ABQlt1z
I just needed to vent a little before i go down there and raise some hell.
Probably the smart thing to do. Go in nicely, but firmly and I'm sure you'll get what you want. ..... Me on the other hand, I don't vent at all before hand I bottle it all up tight and then pull the cork when I get to where I'm going. If they continue to mess w/ you, tell them you're going to be contacting the BBB, and the Automotive entity listed above, you're also going to be making an appointment to see the owner of the shop, and are going to be calling the manufacturer of the headers and letting them know what's going on over there. They want to screw you, shine a big *** spot light on their little operation. :LOL: It's amazing how nice they can be when they find out that everybody else is going to find out.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

usually news stations have a segment were they report on local buisnesses that screw people over. if your local news station has something of the sort, when they refuse to fix your work, not only threten to report them, but say that you'll be back with your local news station! ive heard thretening to broadcast this sort of thing on the news rerally helps out.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by God of Thunder
what shop was it? just so i know to avoid them if i ever need any work done, (not much around Bloomfield)
The shop is solid-technology. Its located on Acoma (don't know the address, right next to the Eubank gate to Kirtland). They also have a website, www. solid-technology.com. It seems that there just aren't very many good shops anywhere in the entire state.
Old 08-17-2004, 09:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sunsetz28
"Kick their *** Sea Bass!"
Now that is a classic quote. I love that movie. One of the co-owners of solid technology also owns the fastest LS1 in New Mexico and the other owner has the fastest Honda. I figure they would take some pride in their business and the work they do. They are also the guys that do all the work on the cars that go into their shop. Brando and I are definitely going to go down there and have some words with them. I couldn't believe they cut the header, I didn't know until i saw it a few days ago.
Old 08-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Launching!

what a ****-poor job that they did! We should all email those bastards
Old 08-18-2004, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hmmm, well ill definitely avoid solid tech then. and i know what you mean about there being no good shops in NM, at least for LS1's! i would go down there and let them know whats up, for sure. if they dont comply, let me know and ill go down there. im really scary good luck
Old 08-18-2004, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i were you...id say..TAKE THAT **** OFF THAT YOU RUINED>>BY ME MY NEW PRODUCTS>>IM GOING TO A SHOP>>THAT KNOWS WHAT THERE DOING>>AND WHEN THEY TELL YOU NO>>THEN SAY>>OK FINE ILL SEE YOU IN COURT...THEN LEAVE>>trust me they'll call you ...for apointment to remove..and pickup of new products.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats why i like living in a small town the mechanic i go to..lets me hang around and help out...also he charges less labor if i help him ...there are some things..you can't find in the city..the thing i like about small town mechanics..is customers aren't easy to come by so they want to keep you..so they take there time and make sure its done right...
Old 08-18-2004, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

You gotta let us know how this turns out. Do what MSBZ_LS1 said:

I would go in and calmly explain the situation, and how bad they fu#ked up. Tell them that they need to remove the headers, put your stockers back on, and order you a new set of headers. All at no cost and a complete refund for the labor and parts (if you bought the headers there). Personally i wouldnt settle for anything less beacuase when you pay for automotive work you supposed to get what you pay for. If they refuse your offer, tell them 'ok, thats fine with me but you will be hearing from my lawyer."

DONT, I repeat dont get an attitude or cause fuss. Because if they do refuse to do what is needed to fix the situation then that can come back to bite you in the *** later. Also take a witness, or multiple witnesses, just in case they try to say you were threatening them.

EDIT- BTW, these guys cant be too smart because they have illegeal street racing videos of their own cars advertised on their website of their place of business. That aint to bright if you ask me. HHHMMMMM, you can always use that to your advantage with a lawyer.

Fry

Last edited by frey51; 08-18-2004 at 03:02 AM.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:03 AM
TECH Resident

This is going to go down sometime this weekend or Friday hopefully. I'm so pissed and it's not even my car. If this doesn't work, I say we let some emails begin and see what happens. Thanks for the support guys. And I sure wish we had some good performance shops in New Mexico. At least I'm lucky to have a good and very honestly mechanic.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stories like this are why I am the only person who works on my car. Incompetent employees of automotive repair shops shouldn't be graced with the title of "mechanic".
Old 08-19-2004, 05:38 PM
Launching!

go to "judge judy" !!