Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem After Replacing Throwout Bearing & Slave

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem After Replacing Throwout Bearing & Slave

Greets. I just replaced my throwout bearing and slave cylinder and am already having problems. When I take off I'm sometimes hearing a sound like the tires running over leaves. No leaves around, though. Then every once in a while I get this sound like a rattling, loose chain. Could this have anything to do with the slave/throwout bearing or is this the timing chain? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by convexion
Greets. I just replaced my throwout bearing and slave cylinder and am already having problems. When I take off I'm sometimes hearing a sound like the tires running over leaves. No leaves around, though. Then every once in a while I get this sound like a rattling, loose chain. Could this have anything to do with the slave/throwout bearing or is this the timing chain? Thanks in advance.
Did you install a new clutch? Maybe you're hearing clutch chatter?

Not really sure what the ruffling leaves sound is that you're hearing. Also, I'm 100% positive that you're not hearing your timing chain..
Old 09-02-2004, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

My clutch is still in pretty good shape so I left it in. I don't know if it's clutch chatter because I'm getting barely any vibration at all when I hear the noise. And the sound is emitted randomly, not always when I have the clutch engaged. Are these symptoms of chatter?
Old 09-02-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

My clutch is still in pretty good shape so I left it in. I don't know if it's clutch chatter because I'm getting barely any vibration at all when I hear the noise. And the sound is emitted randomly, not always when I have the clutch engaged. Are these symptoms of chatter?
What general direction do you here this sound from? Is only after the car is warmed up, only when it's cold? After driving hard, or is just all the time?
Old 09-02-2004, 07:35 PM
On The Tree

It sounds to me like it's coming from under the front end. It doesn't seem like it's coming from the transmission or the clutch because I have to open the window to really hear the sound. When my throwout bearing was going I actually would have to close the window to hear it coming through the console. I've only really noticed it at lower speeds, especially in 1-3 gear. I just may not be able to hear it above 3rd gear because it is a relatively light sound only apparent under 40 MPH or so. It does it warm or cold.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Addict

I've only really noticed it at lower speeds, especially in 1-3 gear. I just may not be able to hear it above 3rd gear because it is a relatively light sound only apparent under 40 MPH or so. It does it warm or cold.

I just looked at your signature and noticed that you have a Pro 5.0 shifter. They are notorious for a rattle that can drive you crazy. The next time you're in your car. Pay close attention to it. I'm pretty sure now that may be what you're hearing.

Let us know what you find out.. How long have you had the shifter?
Old 09-02-2004, 07:50 PM
On The Tree

I've had the Pro 5 for almost 7 months. It has always produced a slight rattle, but this really sounds more like it's coming from the engine bay and is definitely a sound that has just appeared which is why I thought it might be the timing chain. The sound isn't muffled though and I would think that it would be considering where the timing chain is located.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:20 AM
On The Tree

bump.
Old 09-03-2004, 03:52 PM
12 Second Club

After my clutch install, I noticed that my y-pipe was rattling, that could be it. Those seem to be the same noises I was hearing. Your y-pipe might be hitting one of the heat shields or maybe the crossmember.

Kevin
Old 09-05-2004, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

You were absolutely right. It was my y-pipe. It was off by only a fraction of an inch but it was enough to make that leaf crunching sound. It must have been scratching the crossmember. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:43 AM
TECH Addict

You were absolutely right. It was my y-pipe. It was off by only a fraction of an inch but it was enough to make that leaf crunching sound. It must have been scratching the crossmember. Thanks for the help guys.
Glad to see that you got this handled..
Old 09-06-2004, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

Well, the problem seems to be back again (or never really went away). I thought tightening down the y-pipe bracket eliminated the noise but after a couple days the noise is back. I was taking a tight right turn onto the freeway this afternoon and it started back up only worse. It sounds like an electrical discharge in a way. The sound of high voltage electricity sparks. It seems to be most recognizable when I'm turning although I've heard it going WOT too. I went ahead and double checked the entire exhaust system and everything is tight as can be. I also thought it could be one of my belts but both the serpentine and A/C belt look good. This is really driving me up the wall.

Last edited by convexion; 09-06-2004 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to add that I also checked the exhaust.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Bump.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

No other suggestions? I've been over the car three times now and can't find anything out of the ordinary. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

this is completely off topic, but how do your window motors work out for you? faster then stock? noisy? my drivers side went out....gonna replace both sides while i'm at it

if you're y-pipe isn't causing the issue, then i dunno what could be. have you checked all your heat shielding? thats odd. its definitely not your timing chain..you'd have hella bigger issues then just a noise if that were having trouble. good luck figurin it out man.

Last edited by cyphur_traq; 09-08-2004 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:16 PM
On The Tree

The Siemens window motors are pretty good. Quicker than stock and quiet too.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Regular

does it sound kinda like a ball bearing being slowly rolled around inside a coffee can?

mine has that type of noise only in 1st and second when i'm really being gentle and taking off real slow. its had the noise since i got it, and it hasnt got worse so i just figure it for normal m6 noise. its really noticable while driving beside a wall where the sound is bouncing back at you. drives me crazy if i dwell on it...

noises just suck.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

No, it's a very different sound. I know what you're talking about, because I get it too when I take off slowly. This is definitely a noise that sounds like electrical sparks. I'm going to record it and upload it in the next couple days.