New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine breaks up at 5000 rpm's!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine breaks up at 5000 rpm's!!!

The problem that I am having is that it feels like my car starts to die at ~5000 rpms. It sounds like the top end of the engine is about to fly out of the valve covers. I was thinking maybe it was a rocker arm but wouldn't that make the noise all of the time. So then I started thinking that maybe it is fuel pressure but when I bought the car the owner was having it replaced. (I've only had the car for about 2600 miles). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way the ses light has not come on. Does this mean there are no codes. I only use 93 octane gas and the car only has 27000 miles.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by exstanger
It sounds like the top end of the engine is about to fly out of the valve covers.
Valve float will tend to do just that.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by technical
Valve float will tend to do just that.
Valve float on a bone stock motor??
Old 09-22-2004, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

Stranger things have been known to happen.

I'd pull the valve covers to look for broken parts first. But given the description, at a higher rpm power goes away and makes noise I'd think float. If there was a broken rocker or something you'd think it'd make noise all the time. It's really easy to check for valve float, just hook up a vacuum gauge. If vacuum at that specific rpm starts to flutter, then a spring just went bad.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks I'll Give That A Try. When I Mentioned The Rocker Arms I Was Referring To The Little Needle Bearings Going Out Not Really Breaking One. I Have Heard That Ls1's Had A Problem With That. Did They?? If So What Is A Lower Cost Set Of Stock Ratio Rocker Arms???
Old 09-23-2004, 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

Yes ls1 rocker arms have been known to fall apart. I call that broken, because they aren't serviceable. If you need stock rockers, try looking in the "for sale" section of this site. Lot's of people upgrade their components and sell the stockers.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Yea I Have Seen Them In There From Time To Time. But In My Way Of Thinking If You Have To Replace A Stock Part And Somebody Makes One Better Then Why Not Upgrade. I Wanted To Keep The Stock Ratio Because I Plan On A Cam In The Future And Most Say Don't Use 1.8 Ratio.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by exstanger
Yea I Have Seen Them In There From Time To Time. But In My Way Of Thinking If You Have To Replace A Stock Part And Somebody Makes One Better Then Why Not Upgrade. I Wanted To Keep The Stock Ratio Because I Plan On A Cam In The Future And Most Say Don't Use 1.8 Ratio.
you can get upgraded aftermarket stock ratio rockers. i have a set of 1.7 Yella Terra's sittin on my floor next to my cam. they look much stronger then the stockers, as well as having a roller tip it reduceds friction. tip might be heavier, but i don't plan on spinning my motor real high either....rev limiter will be like 6800. harland sharp also makes a very good stock ratio rocker arm. cheaper then YT. i got mine slightly used for a good deal tho.

edit - also you might want to hit up Nate @ NastyPerf, or Predator-Z. I think Harland and NastyPerf were working on a deal where they work over your stock rockers, and install a c-clip on it to prevent needle bearings from coming out. requires machining, but installed if you ship them your stockers its like $260. dunno if it went through or not.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might also change your fuel filter just for
the hell of it.