Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love Camaro SS's but...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I love Camaro SS's but...

Im in a jam between a used 03 Cobra and an obviously used 01/02 Camaro SS. I have always been a fan of both cars but always gave the nod to the Mustangs...but I always wondered if the grass was greener on the other side. I recently test drove an 03 Cobra....my God does that thing have some major power! Pretty nice ride to boot. Really didn't test it's limits as far as handling but it did seem like a solid ride. Fit and finish from what I saw were where it should be for a far for it's price. Nothing to brag about but everything is pretty functional (yea...im used to that awkward shifter position).

Now, as for my experiences with LS1's? Absolutely none. I see them on the street but that's about it...lol. Pathetic I know, never went out and test drove one, and now they aren't quite as common as they once were to see on the lots. Now that I am away at school it's even harder...was hoping to get to it during the summer but never got to it. Before I try and get a drive with one in December, what are your thoughts on these cars?

Not really asking for a comparo because I know the bias will be towards the SS...but what are your thoughts on the quality of these cars?

I hear the handling is far superior to that of Mustangs...is this true from your experiences?

Also, what about the ride....this will also be a DD so I don't want to be driving around town and hating it...the Mustang was Ok by my standards, not great but didn't mind it too much unless you hit a nice pot hole that I swear jumped outta nowhere! Also, it seems like the overwhelming amount of LS1's out there are T-Tops.

Ok, it's nice in the summer, but what about in inclement weather? Are there a lot of problems with these things leaking? Cracking? Breaking? Flying off while driving?

Thanks folks
Old 09-25-2004, 11:43 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, the Cobras are nice and pretty quick but they weigh a fricken ton. Plus you you will pay way more for a Cobra than a Camaro. With the money you'd save the camaro could whoop *** on a Cobra. Not saying that the Cobra is slow though, a friend of mine just got one and they are almost rediculous in the way they react to just bolt-ons. The problem is the car cost alot more to begin with. So I would start with a Camaro and just mod it to be fast, as fast as your wallet will take you. And one last thing, when you have a huge car payent modding comes alot slower. Smaller payment equals more money for mods. Those are just my thoughts, take them for what their worth.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9ball
. .

but what are your thoughts on the quality of these cars?

I hear the handling is far superior to that of Mustangs...is this true from your experiences?

Also, what about the ride....this will also be a DD so I don't want to be driving around town and hating it...the Mustang was Ok by my standards, not great but didn't mind it too much unless you hit a nice pot hole that I swear jumped outta nowhere! Also, it seems like the overwhelming amount of LS1's out there are T-Tops.

Ok, it's nice in the summer, but what about in inclement weather? Are there a lot of problems with these things leaking? Cracking? Breaking? Flying off while driving?

Thanks folks
i traded in my 'stang for a trans am.
quality.. matter of opinion, in my own - much better. few rattles. feel is 'tighter'. i *love* the trans am seats, too.. most of the 98+ fbodys made were ttop cars.. something like 80% of them. (not counting the convertibles).. i havent had problems with leaking. well, my passenger side _did_ produce a small leak during a *huge* storm.. it was literally like, 2 drops of water that got inside.. problem was that the weatherstripping on that side was dried up, and cracked.. replaced it ($50) and all is well. dont creak, brake, and dont fly away...theres a latch that you latch them shut with.. if you forget to latch them, theyll fly away.. if you arent a moron though, youll latch them

trans am's interior is also *much* bigger.. i have way more leg/arm room. i dont feel cramped.

anyway. in my opinion, trans am > mustang. but then again, thats why i traded in the stang.. *shrug*
Old 09-25-2004, 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

I hear the handling is far superior to that of Mustangs
I doubt an SS will out handle an 03 cobra because even though the cobra weighs more it has IRS.
Old 09-25-2004, 11:57 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think if you've always prefered the Mustangs you'll definitly want the 03/04 over the 01/02 SS. It'd be a no-brainer for me if I were in your shoes.

I am not a Ford person, hence why I have a LS1. If I were into Mustangs (hey, I had a 93 and I didn't like it - so I tried), I'd be saving pennies for an 03/04.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:01 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

If you want an ungodly fast DD, get the mustang.

500 RWHP is only a hop skip and a jump away.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:03 AM
Restricted User

If you put the power and speed aspect aside and pretend that they are completely equal (my WS6 in stock form had no problem running with an 03+ Cobra, now there's no contest, but that's aside)...I think once you drive any F-body, you will see what the real difference is. Quality, feel, and ergonomics. The Mustang is so awkward. I used to sell them (before I had my T/A) and I could never get comfortable. Going from the Ford dealer to the Pontiac dealer, and getting out of the stangs and into a T/A, I felt like I went from a tractor to a lexus. Ride quality is better, the "feel" of the interior is much more luxurious, and the car fits it's driver. You can get VERY comfortable with the T/A. The Camaro, to me doesn't feel quite as luxurious, however more than makes up for that in that it has a more "badass" feel to it. My buddy's '01 SS is bone stock, but going from my car to his, his interior just gives the impression of a more powerful car.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:08 AM
Staging Lane

I have never owned or even driven a Mustang. I have an A4 (automatic) 02 Z28 for a daily driver. I drive about 60 miles per day during the work week. I can tell you it is like riding in a recliner. The ergonomics for the driver is perfect. I used to own an M6 (6 speed) and it was too much to row the gears in traffic each day so I bought the automatic and never looked back. I personally love the looks of the Camaro over the Mustang. I have yet to drive my Z one day without looking over and someone staring at the car. The t-tops, I take mine off for the drive home and it is great. A unique feature that only the Corvettes and F-Bodies have.

My Z is lowered and you have to almost lift yourself out of the car. However, the car hugs the road like a mother hugs her child. Very sweet.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
If you put the power and speed aspect aside and pretend that they are completely equal (my WS6 in stock form had no problem running with an 03+ Cobra, now there's no contest, but that's aside)...I think once you drive any F-body, you will see what the real difference is. Quality, feel, and ergonomics. The Mustang is so awkward. I used to sell them (before I had my T/A) and I could never get comfortable. Going from the Ford dealer to the Pontiac dealer, and getting out of the stangs and into a T/A, I felt like I went from a tractor to a lexus. Ride quality is better, the "feel" of the interior is much more luxurious, and the car fits it's driver. You can get VERY comfortable with the T/A. The Camaro, to me doesn't feel quite as luxurious, however more than makes up for that in that it has a more "badass" feel to it. My buddy's '01 SS is bone stock, but going from my car to his, his interior just gives the impression of a more powerful car.
Aren't these cars identical except for their body lines? ... of course I am just now getting into LS1's seriously ....
Old 09-26-2004, 01:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 9ball
Aren't these cars identical except for their body lines? ... of course I am just now getting into LS1's seriously ....
T/A's have better interiors if im not mistaken
Old 09-26-2004, 01:37 AM
Launching!

If your looking to make alot of power with a few bolts on then the 03/04 cobra's are the way to go. Exhaust/pulley/tune and your looking at 450rwhp+. A friend of mine has a Kenny Belle on her 03 cobra and that thing is scary fast (she made 600rwhp).

Honestly, even tho i've owned 3 fbodys... if i was in your shoes i'd go for the cobra. Don't get me wrong tho, i love my car and enjoy driving it... but you gotta love the whine of a roots blower. /.02 (edit- But the sound of a heads/cam ls1 makes me cream)
Old 09-26-2004, 01:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by OCSSleeper
Yeah, the Cobras are nice and pretty quick but they weigh a fricken ton..

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

2003 Cobra Curb Weight = 3665lbs
2002 Camaro SS Curb Weight = 3554Lbs.

100lbs ISN'T that much, so if you say the cobra weighs a fricken ton, that must mean the SS weighs a fricken ton as well.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FairwayGreenVette
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

2003 Cobra Curb Weight = 3665lbs
2002 Camaro SS Curb Weight = 3554Lbs.

100lbs ISN'T that much, so if you say the cobra weighs a fricken ton, that must mean the SS weighs a fricken ton as well.

100lbs IS a lot.

Can you tell the difference if your wife gained 100lbs overnight Would you be able to pick her up anymore? If you were able to before.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:14 AM
11 Second Club

I participate in the same threads every week. About the same thing...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/213698-2003-cobra-2002-camaro-ss.html
Old 09-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Launching!

if you are just going to do some minor mods and thats as far as you're going to go with either car, get the cobra. if you eventually want to mod the **** out of your car, go with the LS1. remember the saying "there is no replacement for displacement". JMHO
Old 09-26-2004, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Wow...a H/C package will really kill you gas mileage that badly? Some are saying that it will put you in the single digit MPG! Obviously im not buying this car for it's gas mileage...but I'd still like it above 15MPG for a DD!
Old 09-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Restricted User

If you want a fast car and not much else, get the Cobra. If you want a car that's essentially just as fast, only not quite as cheap to mod, but has alot more to offer in other areas, then get an F-body.

The choice is obvious to me. Maybe you just need to drive them both and you'll understand. Power aside, no mustang can hold a candle to an f-body.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why do you get on an F-Body forum and ask "Should I get an F-Body or a Cobra?" its the same thing as going on a Cobra forum and asking the same question. Granted, you may encounter more intelligent, open minded, honest people at this forum, then if you were to go to other 'stang forums, but c'mon.

Cobras = fast from the factory. Expensive to own, expensive to mod.

F-bodys = Pretty fast from the factory. Cheaper to mod, cheaper to own.

Both can go faster then god intended us to. Depends how much money you want to spend.

I've driven both. F-bodies are more comfortable IMHO. Cobras are hella fast. Different exhaust note(not as refined). Cheaper interior. Thats what was the deciding factor for me....the interior. It was either an 03 Cobra, or a 00-02 T/A. I got an 00 T/A. 'Nuff Said.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I Have owned both Mustangs and Camaros(now). I used to own 91 Mustang, and a '93 Mustang. When I was in Arizona I was actually looking for another Mustang when I decided to get a camaro because of the availability. I drove a '96 z and then a '99 Z. loved them both, but the ls1was definetly faster and looked better under the hood. I went to drive an '02 GT (man they suck, and then '99 Cobra). The Z28's out handled both, and out accelerated both.

Yea Interior is way better in the Camaro. Also working on a GM's are way easier to work on than a Ford and Parts are cheaper.

I really glad that I bought an LS1. This is by far one of the best motors I have seen made. A buddy of mine owns an '03 Cobra stock right now. With out the nitrous I own him from start to finish and even on the highway. Oh yea I still get '26 mpg on the highway. If I ever decide to get another Mustang, It will only be a fox body.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

for the price of an 03 cobra.... couldnt you buy a 99-00 LS1 and have enough left over for an ATI procharger? and put about 40 more hp to the wheels?