Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning K&N ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning K&N ?'s

ok first off...id like to kno if theres a way to clean off the filter without purchasing the cleaner? and if so how?

if not, is the filter cleaner a good thing to have? I've heard of it leaving oil on the filters or whatever, can some1 explain? how do you use it as well?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:19 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all that red you see when you look at a k&n filter is the oil (even new). the filter itself is not red at all. its not so much the filter cleaner you need (dish soap will work but not as well), its the oil. the oil on the k&n filter is what really does alot of the work. if i was you, i would order a big bottle of cleaner, as well as a big can of oil.

i run a k&n on my mx 4-wheeler and it gets crammed with dirt and doesnt let any thru, every race car ive ever wrenched on at the dirt track has had k&n filters so im sold on their performance.

you can get these large k&n supplies from places specializing in offroad applications. i think i got mine from rockymountainatv.com
Old 09-30-2004, 07:21 PM
That's what she said...

oh yeah, when washing it, do so from the engine side of the filter and run the water toward the outside. after a washing, i usually put mine on my air conditioning condensing unit outside my house for a quick dry from the warm gentle breeze, but since you live in IL, your probably not running your a/c right now lol.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

i dont get how you mean....whats the best way to clean with teh cleaner????....also...how do you clean it...from the top (side you see when you open lid?)...or bottom? woudl you use water as well?

detailed instructions if possible start-finish

my filters prolly seen about 10000 miles thats why i ask
Old 09-30-2004, 07:28 PM
12 Second Club

atleast my guess is 10000 previous owner put it on there
Old 09-30-2004, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you buy the kit that K&N sells for 10 bucks it comes with everything you need and instructions. I doubt there is a substitute for the oil, its the design of the whole 'fliter'
Old 09-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Run the water from the top side(the part you see when you take the lid off) of the filter down to the bottom. The point is, that you want the dirt to go out the direction in came in. Just buy the cleaning kit, its only like $10 at most places.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:45 PM
That's what she said...

take it out, spray it down with cleaner and let it sit for a few minutes. then spray water onto the side your looking at when you open the lid(engine side). do this because most of the dirt should be closer to the dirtier side(side on bottom when you open the lid) and it will be easier to flush it out. continue washing untill there is no more red stuff left, then wash some more, untill your satisfied its clean. then re-oil, but dont over-do it. its been known to cause MAF problems if over-oiled.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:11 PM

Psssst!! A good substitute for the cleaner is Castrol Super Clean(Zombie ****). Make sure you dilute it a little. It will not hurt a thing. Do not use any type of fabric detergent or laundry detergent. It will clog up your filter, and ruin it.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:26 PM
11 Second Club

long and short...
buy the kit(it dont cost that much) directions come with it... follow them.
use the oil sparingly

done