New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to treat a hero(gotta read this)

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004 | 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Default how to treat a hero(gotta read this)

Here ya go. From the Dallas News

Worker fired for trying to disarm robber

10-year veteran risked others' lives, firm says

07:59 AM CDT on Monday, October 4, 2004

By MICHAEL E. YOUNG / The Dallas Morning News

The robbery passed in a blur – rough voices, barked orders, workers forced to the floor, a bag of money changing hands.

Then one of the robbers ordered the supervisor at the Richardson Long John Silver's to the back of the restaurant.

"He's going to kill me," the man recalled thinking. So he grabbed a hammer, turned and swung.

The robber fell, then fled, his accomplice with him. The bag of money lay on the floor.

A few days after the Sept. 18 robbery attempt, the supervisor got another shock: Officials at Long John Silver's fired him.

He'd risked his co-workers' lives and violated company policy, he said they told him.

A company spokesman declined to discuss specifics, acknowledging the attempted robbery at the Belt Line Road restaurant and the policy.

Spokesman Rick Maynard said, "Our policy outlines the steps that should be taken to prevent putting customers or employees at risk, including directing employees not to attempt to disarm a robber."

The decision stunned the fired supervisor, who asked that his name not be used because the robbers remain at large. And it surprised law enforcement officials.

"You know what? He might not have followed policy. But don't Monday-morning-quarterback someone whose life was threatened," said Richardson police Sgt. Kevin Perlich.

The supervisor, 46, said his fears overwhelmed him, and for good reason.

"They had my three employees on the floor," said the Dallas father of six who had worked for Long John Silver's for 10 years. "I gave them the money, but the dude who's supposed to have the gun, he orders me into the back.

"The only thing I could think is he was going to kill all of us," the fired worker said.

He'd been robbed on the street 25 years ago. He had handed over his money and offered his watch, but the robber shot him anyway.

"I had a flashback, and I was panicking. I knew I had to do something. I had seen a hammer in the back, and I grabbed it."

A few days later, he was called in by his boss and fired.

"I cooperated. I gave them the money. But they said because I hit one of the robbers, I violated company policy."

as for me long john silvers has seen the last $$ they will ever see from my family
Old 10-04-2004 | 05:26 PM
11 Second Club

That's pretty shitty. If all of that info is correct, it is really really shitty. Silver's never sees any of my money anyway, lol.
Old 10-04-2004 | 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

supposed to come from the dallas moring news... i dont know then(since i live in va) but it sounds like the truth
Old 10-04-2004 | 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is shitty, but it seem where ever you work thses days they have that policy and is says you will be terminated if you tack heroatic actions.....
Old 10-04-2004 | 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

That is so fucked up. Probably should be in the lounge though...

Still, FUCKED UP.

-Todd
Old 10-04-2004 | 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Man with upper management with attitudes like that will definatly get the last 37 Long John Silvers shut down mighty quick. I really cant believe they are still in business. Everytime I see one of their restaurants their parking lot is empty. As for the supervisor, I think he had some ***** to do that and desirves a freakin medal. Maybe Burger King will catch wind, and pick him up. If he finds a new contract somewhere he is going on my fantasy team.

Fry
Old 10-04-2004 | 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by frey51
Man with upper management with attitudes like that will definatly get the last 37 Long John Silvers shut down mighty quick. I really cant believe they are still in business. Everytime I see one of their restaurants their parking lot is empty. As for the supervisor, I think he had some ***** to do that and desirves a freakin medal. Maybe Burger King will catch wind, and pick him up. If he finds a new contract somewhere he is going on my fantasy team.

Fry
I have never seen a long john silver btw.

-Todd
Old 10-04-2004 | 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

that sucks. He has 6 children to feed.
Old 10-04-2004 | 07:22 PM
STF Veteran

Total bullshit.
Old 10-04-2004 | 08:21 PM
11 Second Club

so if your average man sees that, why dont the vp's of the company?
Old 10-04-2004 | 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
so if your average man sees that, why dont the vp's of the company?
My take on that would be the fact that they are watching their backs. One of the customers or other employees could find a way to sue the company for 'reckless endangerment of life', or something to that extent. Hell you know how those frivolous lawsuits can get. I can see their decision from that perspective, but for gods sake....he probably saved his and others lives, along with saving the cash the robbers had gotten.

Fry
Old 10-04-2004 | 10:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

That is an absolute travesty that they would terminate someone who believed he was about to be murdered along with his co-workers. You hear it happen all the time when these ******** take what they want, they still shoot ya. It could have turned out so much worse...
http://www.pcgraffiti.com/PalatineNews2.htm

I've have counseled many gunshot victims the last 15 yrs who ended up paralyzed after turning over all their money only to be shot. One guy was carrying his two yr old son when a robber shot and paralyzed him after he handed over his money and watch.
Old 10-05-2004 | 12:29 AM
Teching In

that really sucks, where i work you are not allowed to even chase afte r shop lifters or the management can reprimand you for endangering the lives of customers. it does seem that the people in higher places are just looking out for thier own interests
Old 10-05-2004 | 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ABQlt1z
that really sucks, where i work you are not allowed to even chase afte r shop lifters or the management can reprimand you for endangering the lives of customers. it does seem that the people in higher places are just looking out for thier own interests
Thats exactly the problem with our society. The rich and powerfull SOB's think they can do what ever the hell they want. They only think about themselves and their own well being, and never take anyone else into consideration.
Old 10-05-2004 | 03:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Has anybody tried to confirm this story? Seems to me like something that would have made network. ... People start some crazy emails sometimes. They sound believable as hell, but chain letters are a REALLY bad place to get news and/or information from. Just my $.02
Old 10-05-2004 | 04:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's 100% true. Problem is the Dallas Morning News requires people to register so I had to cut and paste it on other forums. EFA, Racersden, etc.

The Dallas Morning News is definately a legit paper.
Old 10-06-2004 | 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

while i totally agree that this sucks the big one....i've got a friend who's a toughguy and his family owned a small mom&pop grocery store in a bad neighborhood of maryland.

anyway, my friend gets into an argument with a local thug....the thugs threatens to come back with firepower....my friends said he'll be waiting....thug comes back and starts shooting.....friend pulls his piece out and it's a gun battle.

friend's father got shot and is crippled until this day.....thug got shot...and so did another employee (non family). thug ran out and never seen again nor caught.

guess what....the great state of MD in all of its wisdom, prosecutes my friend for reckless public endangerment and discharging a firearm within 1000 feet of a public road.......the injured employee got a lawyer and sued my friend and aided MD's prosecutors.

after years of litigation, nearly $100k in legal fees and finally a judgment AGAINST my friend......basically his family just about lost everything....nice house, nice cars...bye bye.

i guess Long John Silver has to follow its policies otherwise they will be opened up for lots and lots of lawsuits.....if an employee got hurt, they won't sue the scumbag robbers since suing someone with no assets is a waste of time. they'll sue the restaurant.
Old 10-06-2004 | 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
I have never seen a long john silver btw.

-Todd
hey that don't sound right, lol
Old 10-06-2004 | 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 10-07-2004 | 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

theres a long john sliver's by my house, but i dont think ive ever seen more than 5 cars in the parking lot
and ive never been inside either