Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predator Not For Newbies?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Predator Not For Newbies?

In my experience, it is not real useful for guys just starting out and are not real technical. It is not "plug & play" 15-20 RWHP out of the box. I'm not bashing the Predator, just throwing a reality check out there. This is a tool you will have to work with for results.

The real value of the predator can't be achieved (IMO) unless you get a custom tune. And in order to get a custom tune, you need to;

a) be able to record live data (either at track or on a dyno)
b) have a good knowledge of the LS1 parameters like A/F ratio, timing etc.
c) be patient enough to go through the process of going back and forth with e-mailed tunes until you get to where you want to be.

The Predator is great for setting shift points, detecting SES codes, setting fan temps, accounting for higher gears, etc. But unless you are ready to get your hands dirty and work at it, take your $400 down to a reputable dyno-tune shop and have them tune your car. You'll leave with your true HP and TQ numbers so you truly know where you are at, a tune that is precise to your car, and probably $100 left over for subsequent re-tunes when you add more mods....
Old 10-05-2004, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have changed your gears what do you recommend to get to correct your speedometer?
Old 10-08-2004, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

I don't necessarily have a better alternative for that situation, but that wasn't my point really

My post was fueled by seeing an ad in Chevy Hi-Perf for the DiabloSport Predator +22RWHP!!! and I was thinking how gullible I was back then to think that it was going to be that easy....I ran right out and got it, along with the Granatelli MAF sensor (which I have since gotten rid of). Two mods that are appealing to newbies but I contend are not really what they seem.

That and returning from my first live dyno tune influenced that post. IMO money better spent at the shop with a professional rather than recording/e-mailing/waiting/fine tuning/guessing.......
Old 10-08-2004, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A stock motor with headers doesn't really need a professional tune. There are plenty of people bolting headers on and running their cars. With the addition of a cam tuning would be beneficial.The shop I go to uses the predator and a dyno to tune cars.

I don't think the predator would be a waste of money for anyone, the HPP3 on the other hand may be a waste of money for many.

I'm not a technical person ,however,the predator is user friendly.A little sweaking with A/F ratio and timing at the track would be easy to do.

Something like LS1 edit or HP tuners would not be for a newbie.

I don't want our fellow racers to think the predator is a complicated tool to use.Part of the fun is learning how to mod and tune our cars ourselves so we don't have to rely on a $500. tune to pick up 10 RWHP.That may be considered a waste of money by some.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Remember, I'm talking about NEWBIE's - guys with near stock cars who have very little knowledge of things like a/f ratio, knock retard etc. Yes, in the right hands a Predator can be a very useful tool. Just pointing out it is a lot more involved than it may appear in it's advertising!

Don't want to scare anyone away, I shouldn't be product bashing. I guess it's a matter of preference, how much work do you want to do as opposed to letting a pro do it when it's necessary.
Old 10-08-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Apprentice