New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some weird problems after doing the EGR mod..

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004 | 05:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Some weird problems after doing the EGR mod..

Well yesterday I cut the part of the EGR Pipe that protrudes through the TB. The pipe was a bitch to get off and put back on.

Now when I was done at first and I fired up the car, the RPMs soared high then dropped way low almost to the point where the car just plain turned off. I could also hear a loud whisp of air coming from my bay. I figuered it was the 10mm attaching the EGR pipe to the helicoil on the intake manifold, since I hardly tightend it up.

Took out my torque wrench and torqued the 10mm bolt back up to about 89-120in-lb (my torque wrench reads in increments of 5ft-lbs, so I torqued it somewhere between 5ft-lbs and 10ft-lbs). Well this made the car run pretty normal again, during start up the car didnt rev up high nor did the revs die back down.

However now it seems that while im moving and in neutral the car will idle at higher rpms (1200 or so) and slowly die back down to normal (700-800rpms) once I come to a complete stop. I also cannot chirp from 1st to 2nd gear, but I can "chirp-down" to second and even third. However, I do notice that my RPMs are much lower at high speeds than they used be before (for ex. 80mph usually hit 1900-2000rpms when in 6th, now I'll be at 85+mph and barely hitting 2000rpms...I can also go up 110+mph in 4th, where as before, id usually shift into 5th by 105 or so)

Basically, car seems to pull harder at higher speeds but seems to have lost torque at lower speeds.

I did the FRA mod on Saturday, so this may be the reason why the car pulls harder at higher speeds. However the idling and chirping issues came up ONLY after doing the EGR mod.

Im thinking the 10mm helicoil bolt isnt on tight enough or the EGR pipe isnt fastened right at the exhaust manifold part (the HARDEST part of the install). So im thinking of maybe just taking the EGR completely off and sealing the exhaust manifold with a gasket and the intake with a freeze bolt.

Any ideas?
Old 10-12-2004 | 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a vacuum leak. I had a hard time with that. Apparently on mine it was sucking down the EGR gasket (or whatever it's called - the rubber ring) on one side, so air was coming through some. I could only tell at idle, because it would idle high for 15 secs or so, then drop really low. I fixed it by applying a small bead of red silicone above the gasket, and pushing the gasket up into it to a) make a better seal and b) keep the gasket form getting sucked down. It's been like that for over a year now with no problems.

Oh, and that bolt seemed to do jack squat for me. I could tighten it, but since they had the foresight *cough* to only put it on one side, overtightening it only seemed to make it worse.
Old 10-12-2004 | 09:34 AM
10 Second Club + 14 Second Truck Club

deff sounds like a vacume leak to me, get new gaskets for the egr and the manifold pipe.
Old 10-12-2004 | 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

All I did when I cut the EGR plug was take the pipe out of the intank manifold, cut it, clean it and stick it back in. I didn't remove the whole system. Works fine and runs normal.

What kind of gears do you have in there? Shifting to 5th at 105mph is kinda low. When I had 3.42's in my car, 4th would go up to 115+ mph. Now with the 4.10's it goes to 108+ mph.
Old 10-12-2004 | 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I too the EGR off by mistake I was doing the free mod and broke the copper tube. So I bought a 1 3/8 freeze plug and plugged the intake. I just crimped the copper tube in several places. I noticed a slight drop in gas mileage so I think I need to get a lower t stat and block off plate. Good luck with yours man.
Old 10-12-2004 | 11:44 AM
11 Second Club

i agree, it sounds like a vaccum leak, personally; id take the whole damn system off, and while your at it, take out the AIR system, thats what im gonna do just as soon as it comes back from the body shop
Old 10-12-2004 | 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies guys. Figuered it was a vacum leak, couldnt be much more to it.

Im thinking I might as well just take the whole damn EGR system off, its too much of a bitch to take it off and put back on. So i guess I'll just get the freeze plug and either make myself a block off plate or buy one from thunder.

Thanks again for the tips.
Old 10-12-2004 | 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok so heres the deal...

I decided that I wanna take off both the AIR and EGR system...

However, Ive called around my local Pep Boys and Auto Zone, they seem to have EVERY freeze plug/expansion plug size...EXCEPT the 1 3/8" size. Anyone know where I can get this plug?
Old 10-12-2004 | 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok well, I adjusted the O-Ring on the intake manifold and that seemed to fix the wild idling...I still cant chirp from 1st to 2nd though...

And Im still interested in getting rid of the AIR and EGR so if u guys have any suggestions on where to get the freeze plug, id appreciate it.
Old 10-12-2004 | 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My freeze plug was like 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 or something. It wasn't exactly a 1 3/8 inch. You had to tighten the bolt down pretty far to make it expand. I would just go in person and do a visual check of them. Get the nearest one that's alsmost to small and then just crank it out. As for the block off plate I'm not really sure. I wanna make one but not sure if I need a gasket or what. If you find anything out post it up.
Old 10-12-2004 | 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

This place sells a whole EGR/AIR Gasket/Block Off plate kit:

http://www.paceparts.com/index.asp?P...S&Category=246

So im pretty sure you need a gasket or RTV sealent along with the plate.
Old 10-12-2004 | 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

check the links to the right, i live in IL so i personally like www.LS1Speed.com
i know they sell a whole set of plugs and block off plates cuz they are where im gonna get mine from, but if you take off the AIR and EGR, the computer will throw a couple of codes, either ignore it or get something like HP tuners and delete the code
Old 10-13-2004 | 01:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LiqudFire350
check the links to the right, i live in IL so i personally like www.LS1Speed.com
i know they sell a whole set of plugs and block off plates cuz they are where im gonna get mine from, but if you take off the AIR and EGR, the computer will throw a couple of codes, either ignore it or get something like HP tuners and delete the code
Cool, I didnt know they had em...found em...u can get the whole set plus the plug for 16 bucks total...that rocks!
Old 10-13-2004 | 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

they are pretty cheap on almost everything, ive bought everything from them, except my new 17" chrome SS rims, ebay $300, slighty used