New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of Flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of Flowmaster?

Hey gang,

Going to add exhaust to my stock 02 T/A after Xmas. I found a guy that can put on flowmaster american thunder 80 muffler on with stainless steel dual/dual tips for just over $300. Is that a good deal? I heard not many people like flowmasters on the LS1. I was just wondering why. I dont have the $$ for Borla which would be nice and the SLP loudmouth from what i heard is way to loud. I also dont want to install it myself cause I want it welded to prevent leaks. Thanks for your opinions.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fa18007
Hey gang,

Going to add exhaust to my stock 02 T/A after Xmas. I found a guy that can put on flowmaster american thunder 80 muffler on with stainless steel dual/dual tips for just over $300. Is that a good deal? I heard not many people like flowmasters on the LS1. I was just wondering why. I dont have the $$ for Borla which would be nice and the SLP loudmouth from what i heard is way to loud. I also dont want to install it myself cause I want it welded to prevent leaks. Thanks for your opinions.
I think that Flowmaster makes a nice quality product that flows like poop. Unfortunately. I love that Flowmaster sound, but they really are pretty weak. But I really like the sound of my Dynomax muffler, it sounds awesome when you rev it up, plus it does not drone while cruising. Very nice.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:57 PM
Launching!

They sound good for sure (I had one on my '92 Camaro RS 305 I got it installed well before I found this site, well I only paid like 100$ brand new...and you are talking about some 300$ WTF)
but everybody says here...they are crap.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Oh o I see this one going a long way. I have the Flowmaster 80 series on my Z28 it sounds good. I have a cutout for better flow. Yeah you are right not alot of people like the flowmaster. If you get the flowmaster get a cutout and you will not have to worry about losing performance.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hooker Aerochamber mufflers cost about $80. Buy that, get you some decent tips off of summit.....and you're set. That $300 is a little overpriced if you asked me.

Flowmaster is a waste of $$$$.......there's tons of research on this site to back that up. Also, there's plenty of quality mufflers out there that sound as good as, if not better than flowmaster.......Hooker/Dynomax are the best bang for the buck. If you want borla, just get a cutout, cause it's the same thing minus the tips...

P.S.-the hooker muffler come 3-bolt flanged, so you can unbolt it at the track for a little weight loss too~!
Old 12-18-2004, 07:20 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

flowmaster to me is a waste of money. there are much better products out to buy. The best for the money is going to be the Hooker like tim99ws6 said, plus they sound really good at WOT.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

I have flowmaster as well. Sound is nice but flow sux. Installed a cut-out and now I wish I never spent the money on the cat-back.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

sound
flow

It is ironic though that something named "FLOWmaster" doesnt flow very good

If you just want sound look into true duals. If your a cat back person look into gmmg www.ls1sounds.com
Old 12-19-2004, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you want to know what i think about flowdisaster i mean blowmaster...

err i mean flowmaster

ok i think that answered it .
Old 12-19-2004, 01:08 AM
11 Second Club

Can someone fill me in on this cutout? How does this work?
Old 12-19-2004, 05:54 AM
11 Second Club

http://www.texas-speed.com/item_deta...?ProductID=167

put it anywhere in your exhaust system, like two after the headers, so flip a switch and have open headers, or to have a little back pressure, put it just before the muffler so its nice sounding for the street and power for the strip

that link is for a basic cut-out, QTP makes an electric version
Old 12-19-2004, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

I like my Flowmaster sound ok, from what I've read on this board I am considering a different muffler!
Old 12-19-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default How about Dynomax?

The other exhaust I think sounds good is dynomax. I have heard it is better flowing than flowmaster and has just as good of sound.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

When I bought my car, it only had 4000 miles on it and someone had already installed a two-chamber flowmaster. If it was stock, the first thing I would have done was add a cat-back system. The stock exhaust is so quiet, not as bad as a Corvette, but too quiet. This is a musclecar - let's hear it!! That being said, I love the way the Flowmaster sounds. People on the street have said too me many-o-times that it sounds awesome. I've had the car dyno'd and have only added a lid, cut out the screen, and cut down the EGR tube. I made 326 horsepower. No, I understand that I could probably be making a few more ponies, but I don't feel like spending the money on a new catback to gain maybe 5-7 horse. I won't feel that, plus the change in sound quality might **** me off too!!

In the future, I do plan on make a change and will likely go with the GMMG chambered exhaust. It's a nice design, sounds great, but isn't overly loud.

Good luck with your exhaust. If money is the issue, you can find flowmaster catbacks cheaper than $300 for your car. Be patient and research, my friend.

Brian
Old 12-19-2004, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

like everyone else said, i think it sounds great but flows like crap. i had it on my car when i first bought it, and have since changed to magnaflow, which i am very happy
Old 12-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Launching!

well i cant exaclty say what flomaster does for LS1 sound but ive gots flomaster cat-back on my LT1 and it sounds so tough that i get compliments on the tone.

as far as paying $300 on just muffler and tips sounds a bit pricey IMO.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Teching In

If you dont have alot of money and you want borla you can be like me and buy it used of the board. I am only spending $380 shipped to my door. Just my $.02
Old 12-19-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LT1Burnout
well i cant exaclty say what flomaster does for LS1 sound but ive gots flomaster cat-back on my LT1 and it sounds so tough that i get compliments on the tone.

as far as paying $300 on just muffler and tips sounds a bit pricey IMO.
There is little debate about Flowmaster sounding good (except for some drone issues).
Old 12-19-2004, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fa18007
Hey gang,

that price, just like flowmasters, is a joke. go buy the hooker or TSP catback if youre worried about price. then put it on yourself. then go have it welded up by your exhaust shop. i did that and they only charged me $25.

or if you want, PM me because i know a guy who can get you a good price on a magnaflow system. now those sound really good.

Originally Posted by Another_User
There is little debate about Flowmaster sounding good (except for some drone issues).
the flowmaster on 69_yenko's car before his trueduals sounded like
the flowmaster on my friends 99 Z sounds like
the flowmaster on my other friends WS6 sounds so so.

i guess it just depends on what series it is. ive always hated jokemasters on anything. they have a very fake horsepower sound to them.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you like your car to sound like a dump truck go with the flowmaster.

If you want a good sound and better flow I would say Hooker, Borla, or if you have stock manifolds with cats I like the SLP loud mouth.

If you are looking to do more mods to your car in the future stay away from the Flowmaster, its allright for stock cars "if you can stand the sound" but too restrictive for the higher power levels.

My opinion..

Quick Reply: What do you think of Flowmaster?