New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Camaro vs Dodge SRT-4 ...which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 08:44 PM
BS
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XXxx_Totmacher_xxXX
I had a roomate that had a T/A I'm not a big chevy/pontiac guy but it was from one of the later years when they had the ram air (his was not though) but he said his was the same setup minus that. I would absalutly dominate him at the 1/8 mile track every time we went (he ran consistant 9.3 and I ran consistant 8.9). Stock for stock also when we would get on the freeway from a roll I would slowly pull on him but once we would get to 110 I would walk him bad to 149. he did have a automatic though. I did have 2 other friends with Camaro SS's one did alot to his but again at the 1/8 mile I would stomp him every race and I was still bone stock. The other guy had just a few bolt ons but he was really good a dragin but still not enough out of the box.
My TA completely stock would run consistent 8.8's (best 8.72) in the 1/8 and 13.4 in the 1/4. And I'm definately not the best driver. Your friends need to let a better driver race you with their cars.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a Camaro and I love it. I however am in a point in my life where I'd get rid of it to move out. What would I replace it with? Most likely an srt-4. Why? It isnt because I think its a better car, but because it runs 14s stock, has mopar warranty covered upgrades, and could get me to work and school in the snow. Not to mention it would make a great budget car, and gets respect for the larger portion of the guys on ls1tech. If we respect it it has to be doing something right.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Teching In

**** a skittle.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Short, quick, to the point. And he does make a good point.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:07 AM
Teching In

how are you not expecting a few bias opinions when you ask a question like that on a site made for f-body guys? i drove the srt-4 just because i like checking out new competition, which in this case there was none, it drives just like all the "performance" option imports. whoever said it was zippy i guess would be accurate and if is what your looking for go for it. with enough money anything can be fast. if i had 40k to blow on my buddys tercel im sure itd take a few maros. I personally bought my z for a reason, in your case, go with the neon.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL that srt-4 i put up that went 11's....tranny just went KABOOM hahaha as blockcock said "**** a skittle"
Old 03-19-2005, 02:19 PM
Teching In

It looks like its been said a hundred times.... personal preference. So I'll throw my opinion on to the pile, just in case you are still reading this thread. F-bodies are not just "cars", they are so much more. If you honestly have to ask yourself whether you want an F-body or a SRT-4, then you really need to get the SRT-4.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PredatorZ
It looks like its been said a hundred times.... personal preference. So I'll throw my opinion on to the pile, just in case you are still reading this thread. F-bodies are not just "cars", they are so much more. If you honestly have to ask yourself whether you want an F-body or a SRT-4, then you really need to get the SRT-4.
I was about to say the same thing. Myself, I can't even compare the 2 cars. They are in completely different classes.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

$15k...........f-body or srt-4? doesnt that say it all a USED f body is still worth $15k and with all the dodge discounts the srt-4 is probably about $15k. so do yourself a favor buy the neon and sleep at night. cuz no one will ever steal it. oh and btw i did the fwd sport compact thing. i had a 94 del sol DOHC VTEC with only 55000 miles when i traded it for my 99 ws6 with 53000 or so on it. the sol could own a neon any day of the week in the handling dept. and more than hold its own in the acceleration areas too. i ran mine out to a 140 on 270 north here in stl. all i did to it was a cat back and a intake. so drive both and see what your *** feels like being pinned to a seat back with a ls1. i have a friend with a 5.0 91 gt with a cam and exhaust work ill quote him"you should do the $100 challenge on your dashboard. Put a $100 bill on the dash and floor it to see if they can take it. i couldn't"
Old 03-21-2005, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ws6gluemaker
the sol could own a neon any day of the week in the handling dept. and more than hold its own in the acceleration areas too. i ran mine out to a 140 on 270 north here in stl.
Are you kidding me?? An intake/exhaust Honda CIVIC Del Sol vs a NEON SRT can "more than hold it's own in straight line acceleration"??? If you think several....several....several bus lengths from a stop up to 140 is "holding it's own"..........I guess it's holding it's own. 160 HP 1.6l VTEC vs a very under rated 230 HP Turboed 2.4l = azz whipping in a straight line.

SRTs dyno 210-225HP & 230-245 TRQ at the wheels (depending on the year)

High 13s, low 14s..........98-103 traps

VS

Mid-High 15s..................85-88 mph traps????

Sorry bud, not buying the "more than hold it's own" thing......To simply put it, an I/E Del Sol would get DESTROYED. I too use to own a Honda (98 Prelude) and know the Del Sol has ZERO chance. Kinda like saying a I/E SRT can "hold it's own" against a 03/04 Cobra........not gonna happen.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

If I was a fairy I would buy a SRT-4.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Ok this is my outlook on this topic. I had a honda i blew it up in a year I now own a Camaro. My friend has a dodge truck he hates it. My buddy had a SRT he now owns a Trans Am. Test drive a neon and try to do dougnuts or sling the *** end around it wont happen. Waaaaaa is never a good sound unless its a bike or its comming from something fast as hell. I have had women tell me that my car is soo sexy, not just saying it but almost getting wet while saying it. Try to take the tops off of the neon. People ask me what my insurance is i tell them its 102 a month. I have friends paying more then 200 driving 4 bangers. But that all depends on your record. Ok well now you have my input.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry bud, not buying the "more than hold it's own" thing......To simply put it, an I/E Del Sol would get DESTROYED. I too use to own a Honda (98 Prelude) and know the Del Sol has ZERO chance. Kinda like saying a I/E SRT can "hold it's own" against a 03/04 Cobra........not gonna happen.[/QUOTE]
i suppose the reason i never lost to a neon is because when i traded out of the del sol the srt 4s hadnt come out yet. i respect the car just not the crowd. and the brakes were the first thing performance wise i ever change. what good is going fast if you can stop it? i left the import scene to late. i think that i have become what i didnt like about it. cocky and arogant. i like the idea of fast cars reguardless of who is making them(i have a hard on for evos) but i have never given much respect to todays mopars except vipers due to poor build quality and need of repair. i personally would not want to buy a neon. nor would i like to buy a lot of other cars. but you have a choice so be happy about it. i wish that i had 15k layin around. so yes you're right the sol would be destroyed against the srt. the sol was a chic car. there are so many cars because we all have different needs and wants. i wish you happy hunting no matter what you drive. i gonna go beat up on some imports w/ my g/fs gtp j/k
Old 03-26-2005, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by XXxx_Totmacher_xxXX
Wow you guys get pretty brutal, he posted the same thread on the SRTForums and the SRT guys didnt start dogin the other sides car. That said I'll probably never post here again so no need to reply to me, but let me clear up a few things.
wow somebody get that guy some tissue please!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If your concerned about gas mileage go with the srt4, but if you want the better car go with the LS1. It can made faster easy, has more potential, and with the right suspension setup handle like a dream.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:22 PM
Launching!

I dont get how guys can say, "with mods my srt can hang with a LS1", that just means that your car ISNT as fast as a LS1 without mods. You cant compare a modded out car to a stock car, if you trully want to compare, take the money you would spend on modding the srt and put that same money into a LS1 and make the LS1 a true beast (not that it isnt already), and the LS1 will just dominate by that much more!

Seriously, i am in the same position though, with about 15,000 once i sell my truck and i am seriously looking into getting a Z28, then taking about 5-6000 and throwing a Procharger on there and have a road ripping beast! If you trully want a ride that you will always look forward to getting into, always fun to drive, never get tired of putting your foot into, and never tired of beating the car next to you at the light get the LS1, but if you are worried that much about gas mileage (thought the LS1 gas mileage isnt much worse), or 4-doors, then maybe go with the srt. But, my vote is for the LS1.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:41 PM
Teching In

One main issue with the SRT is their dramatic loss of value (ala neon) check auto trader... It's crazy how cheap some of those are!!!
Old 04-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Speaking from experience of knowing a guy in AAA and having a father who is a mechanic and manager of 27 years, I can say that the powertrain of a camaro is more thorough and dependable. I know people who own srt's and they like them but it is a "to each his own" type of thing. I like rear wheel drive and power but I think almost any american car starting the late 70s to now is pretty poor build quality in comparison to an equivalent import. I am not a ricer by any means but I do drive a toyota(240,000 trouble free miles as of today) all week long and have an LS1 powered Mazda RX7 for play. Overall, I am just happy you didn't come up and ask if " a hatchback civic with NAWZ is faster than a camaro"
Old 04-05-2005, 02:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Scoff
Hm, I think it boils down to personal preference to be honest. I had the choice between an srt4 and an LS1, and I chose the SRT4. Mainly because it was easier for me to finance a new car then an older one (Had to sell my V6 camaro..POS).

They each have their +'s, as well as -'s (is that even a word?)

While stock, the neon isn't as fast as an LS1 (Duh) it can be modded cheaply and can be made "fast". It's not uncommon for a bolt on neon to trap 109-110mph. It's big downfall is that it is FWD. I can't even use my 1st gear in my car without spinning like crazy. Most of the time I dont truely hook till the top of 2nd gear. This may limit a lot of your racing to roll races (I race mostly from rolls because I don't wanna pay for new clutch and tires just yet.).

The neon will have more space, which was a big concern of mine. I needed space for my amp and guitars, and there was NO way my 4x12 cab will fit in a camaro.

Driveability for every day use is better from my experience. The camaro, while fun to drive, wasn't the easiest car to manuver around in. It felt heavy to me, and the front was long and took time to get used to. I also like the neons seats a little bit better. Also noticed the neon is a little more low key then my old camaro (oddly enough)

Modibilty is also damn good for both cars. While LS1 owners can arque h/c is the fastest way to go, neon owners can say for the same price (maybe less) you can upgrade your turbo and end up trapping 120mph. Main problem with more power in the neon is traction. I'm making more then 300wtq to my front wheels in a 2800lbs car, it can only equal massive wheelspin.

Like I said, it depends what YOU want. I would recommend the LS1 for having RWD, and a nice sound, but (no offense to ANYONE here) the majority of LS1 owners I have come in contact with (and raced/won) are complete arrogant dicks because I drive a neon and dare think of asking for a race.

Then again, there are a lot of stupid ricer bitches that own neons....
Dude.....I drove a buddy of mines Yellow Srt-4 and it was fun. All i can tell you is that if you want to look like a Bitch buy a Neon. Turbo or no turbo its still a neon. Its like neons were made for bitches to go to the grocery store and get groceries in a quick manner. Ls1 Owners are not Dicks i mean what would you think if some guy pulled up to you in a pink car......well hes a Bitch. Well pulling up in the Neon tells me you are a Bitch who likes to go fast though you may be fast you are still a bitch Yeah go Buy a Neon and join the rest of the bitches out there....coming from a Dick who owns a C5 Ls1
Old 04-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Staging Lane

Funniest Question and Answers I have heard in a long time.
If you gotta ask the question, you dont need to hear the answer.

Seriously, Look at a Ricer.........(or neon).......and compare it to a SS Camaro or Z28..........which would you rather drive down the street. duhhhhhhhh...............forget all the other criteria............Your EYES will decide.

Quick Reply: LS1 Camaro vs Dodge SRT-4 ...which would you choose?