New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Camaro vs Dodge SRT-4 ...which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005 | 10:34 PM
11 Second Club

Man, Is This A No- Brainer For The Crowd That You Are Hanging Out With. Get The Camaro, Sit Down, Strap In And Enjoy The Ride.
Old 04-22-2005 | 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by geronimo66
"Just remember, there will always be somebody saying you drive a neon, no matter how much you say it's an SRT-4." -jason.sabavich

True, but isn't it nice to point out that [they] have been beat by a neon... An 04 SRT with minor mods and a good driver will hang with or beat a stock LS1, is a straight line or the turns... don't care what anyone says that gets my respect.

Look on an LS1 drivers face when he doesn't rape the lil 4dr pocket rocket priceless
OK, I've been reading over this thread and was afraid to post because of the fact that I might be bias, but I can't take reading this any longer without giving my opinion.

First of all, in regards to the comment above about an '04 SRT-4 w/ minor mods and good driver will hang with or beat a stock LS1, I think not. My bone stock LS1 ran 13.0 @ 110. No lightly modded SRT-4 can touch this. Perhaps an older pre-01/02 LS1 they could hang with or beat. Then again let's compare apples to apples, lightly modded LS1 versus lightly modded SRT-4, once again the LS1 triumphs.

Second, for the guys on this thread that say LS1 owners are dicks and talk **** and SRT-4 owners are cool, check out http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...d.php?t=178177. There are SRT-4 owners on this site talking **** about '03-'04 Cobras. Give me a break, there is no way in hell a SRT-4 stacks up to the '03-'04 Cobra, much like the LS1. That is my $.02.
Old 04-26-2005 | 09:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2001stripper
First of all, in regards to the comment above about an '04 SRT-4 w/ minor mods and good driver will hang with or beat a stock LS1, I think not. My bone stock LS1 ran 13.0 @ 110. No lightly modded SRT-4 can touch this. Perhaps an older pre-01/02 LS1 they could hang with or beat. Then again let's compare apples to apples, lightly modded LS1 versus lightly modded SRT-4, once again the LS1 triumphs.

Yeah, and how many camaro's trap 110 stock? Not many! (you can name examples all day but most LS1's trap at around 106 and run mid 13's). So yes a lightly modded SRT w/ driver mod can hang or beat a stock LS1.

Honestly, comparing the cars is apples to oranges. The only thing that is similar is that they are both fast and both can be bought around the same price range.

One things for certain, you can't go wrong with either decision as they are both great cars.
Old 04-27-2005 | 01:59 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

You know , for such a controversial subject , you guys have kept this thread quite civil. Good job , guys!
Old 04-27-2005 | 12:05 PM
TECH Junkie

i am really amazed how civil it is. if this was on nearly any other forum, it would of become a flame war in a page or 2
Old 04-27-2005 | 12:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1 all the way!!
Old 04-28-2005 | 02:12 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Originally Posted by Phoenix57
i am really amazed how civil it is. if this was on nearly any other forum, it would of become a flame war in a page or 2
Exactly, and I really appreciate it!
Old 04-28-2005 | 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

you want a quick little 4 door car that will get the same gas milage as the camaro? get the SRT

want something that will actually be fast for very little money, with aa 6 speed has the potnetial to get better milage then the srt , handles better, and doesnt get you the "Its still a ****** neon" comment, get the F-body.

Cliff notes, BUY THE GOD DAMN CAMARO!! lol That is all.
Old 04-28-2005 | 11:39 AM
Teching In

Damn...too many posts.

If the SRT-4 is running 15's then, it's not the cars fault. It's the driver.
SRT-4's blowing heads? Where is this info coming from? The 1st gen Neon's had a bad reputation for blowing head gaskets, not heads.
Second, the SRT-4's powerplant has no history linking to the past or current
Neon models.

Blown Trannies? WTH?

To the SRT advocate who states he was beating T/A's and SS's while stock, needs to check the dates before making the claims on an LS1 forum. Different Year = Different engine. Who knows? Anything can hapen in a street race.

The SRT's torque steer is practically nonexistent although it has quite a bit of understeer due to a wide turning radius. I found the car to be irritating as a daily. I have a 25 mi drive to work in traffic so, just about any manual driving car would be a hassle.

My T/A is an A4 and seems to handle quite a bit better than my SRT did. Front passengers have a bit more room and, the leather seats own the viper inspired seats of the SRT-4. The T/A definitely feels heavier but, also feels much more stable and rigid. Esp at higher speeds.

I enjoyed the SRT for the time that I had it but, love my T/A even more.

*All comparisons are from stock form.
Old 04-28-2005 | 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was just recently in the same boat you are in, I couldnt decide what to get. I ended up going with a 2002 Z28 M6 and couldnt be happier. The best advice I can give you is to drive both, and after driving both try to picture yourself behind the wheel of either car. IMO I felt that any grown man who decides to buy a SRT, no matter how fast they are, just loses something, I am not sure what exactly they lose, dignity perhaps?.
Old 04-28-2005 | 07:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Schwindj
I was just recently in the same boat you are in, I couldnt decide what to get. I ended up going with a 2002 Z28 M6 and couldnt be happier. The best advice I can give you is to drive both, and after driving both try to picture yourself behind the wheel of either car. IMO I felt that any grown man who decides to buy a SRT, no matter how fast they are, just loses something, I am not sure what exactly they lose, dignity perhaps?.
Nah, hopefully noone looks to a car to gain or uphold dignity. For me it was the fact that I was tired of driving in stop and go situations with a clutch. I wanted an automatic again but, didn't want to sacrifice any power. Not only did I get what I was looking for in terms of comfort but, I also got more power.

I also got tired of that fact that every ricer under the sun was trying to taunt me. I have 5 speeding tickets in which 2 are wreckless driving so, it isn't wise for me to allow such a temptation.

Another issue is the fact that the ls1 is a tried and true engine that has a pretty good reputation for not only power but, decent longevity. The F-body was a damn good platform with a great engine. I needed to replace the SRT with something that had power without the questions of whether it will last 3 yrs down the road.

This post isn't knocking the SRT in any way but, I would choose a car that you would be interested in keeping a little while. Don't plan on buyin an SRT if you are gonna dump it within 2 yrs. You will lose your *** off. I know I did.
Old 04-28-2005 | 08:29 PM
12 Second Club

Hey man I drove both of them when I was looking for a car. The SRT-4 handled better, but the power of the ls1. Besides when I got out of the SRT-4 guess what it was still a dodge neon and it will always be. Get the Camaro you will be happier.
Old 05-03-2005 | 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

My friend got an srt-4 like 3 or 4 months ago. He defines the demographic of SRT-4 owners. Mechanically challeneged, and requires car to back up ego. I had to drive the car off the lot because he couldnt drive stick on the day we bought it. I gotta tell you guys, i enjoyed it. It had a mopar BOV, i beat the **** out of it on the way home. Power shifting, burning out from almost every dead stop. Was alot of fun. but now its gotten old. FWD is not fun at all. Its just for doing easy burn outs. My friend is looking for some mods to spice it up, the car is very boring. He gets walked by most of the cars we hang out with, the car handles like crap (understeers), he gets 20 mpg at best (i get more in my blown SS), and the car looks very weak. He recently invested into some CF parts to attract some attention. He paid 13k its a 2003 SRT-4. If i were to get a daily beater, id stick to an RWD. FWD is too boring.
Old 05-05-2005 | 01:40 PM
Launching!

Get the neon! People like you dont deserve SS Camaros. I can't see how your even attracted to a neon. Not only that but willing to spend money on owning one. you
Old 07-02-2005 | 02:36 PM
Teching In

Default ..

Well, i have a neon srt-4 with aftermarket turbo untuned with 385 waiting to get it tuned for 500hp. Some guy on the srt-forums already ran a 11.1 11.2 at 130..

Here is a vid of a unknown stage that was against a viper gts.. i dont know the stage
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....F3F1&kw=34&p=0

theres another vid srt-4 vs modded z06 with heads cams exaust.. neon had stg3 z06 got burned he was on top of 5th gear at 150mph neon was pulling.. just letting u guys know little shitty neons can run with the big boys. dad also owns a 03 dodge viper srt-10 he can't beleive a neon can keep up with him intill he reaches top gear.. Just like that <----

btw ls1's are nice cars We are all friends..

ttyl guys.. See ya.
Old 07-02-2005 | 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

After seen a friend of mine put a *** load of money into his srt4 and only dyno 318 to the wheels i new then i would never buy one of them. He even had a big turbo on it. Its safe to say that it will take less money to reach your speed goal in a z28 than a srt4.
Old 07-02-2005 | 05:20 PM
Teching In

Default .

ahh not really its not that much to get a srt-4 going in 12's or 11's turbo's aint expensive struts etc.. all u need is the recommended stuff to handle the hp and turbo and ur all set.. not big $$$ at all..
Old 07-02-2005 | 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by veXati0n
I'm just saying they're quite zippy. They have just as much of an aftermarket as the LS1. Just weighing my options here. With modification, any car can beat any car.
I've called my car many things, but "zippy" has not be one of them.

My insurance isn't bad, my gas mileage isn't great, but I didn't buy it for those reasons. Have you compared the two cars yet?

I don't know, but no matter how you try to wrap-it, its still a neon. You are the one who has to drive it.

BTW-have you posted on an SRT forum...?
Old 07-02-2005 | 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SRT-Owner
ahh not really its not that much to get a srt-4 going in 12's or 11's turbo's aint expensive struts etc.. all u need is the recommended stuff to handle the hp and turbo and ur all set.. not big $$$ at all..

sorry i cant agree after seen my friends car he has alot more money in his than i do and hes 6 tens slower and uses slicks.
Old 07-02-2005 | 09:16 PM
Teching In

Default ..

wth did he put into his car, tell him to give ya a list so i can see em...Yes its still a neon yes im on the srtfourms, i have an AGP Turbo T3/T4 Garrett 60Trim .63 A all i need is a good tune and ill be pushin ova 500 hp to the wheels.. And my car moves should be able to do low 11's. here is my list

B&B full 3" turbo back exhaust/ Walbro 255LPH fuel pump/ AGP Turbo T3/T4 Garrett 60Trim .63 A/ RC 750cc Fuel Injectors/ AGP Dog Bone solid motor mounts/ Apexi Super AFC-2/ Perrin Cold Air Intake/ Perrin fuel rail/ Fuel Return kit/ Tach Adapter/ Fuel pressure regulator/ Sport Comp Crane ignition/ AFX underdrive pulley/ Iceman 60mm throttle body/ DSS axles Stage 3/ Hawk brake pads/ Clutch Master Stage 3/ Stage 2 ECU(PCM) upgrade with turbo toys/ MSD ignition coil/ MSD spark plug wires/ HKS super sequential blow-off valve/ Mopar short throw shifter/ Booger bushings/ Split Second voltage clamp/ Tokico 5-way adjustable struts/ DC Sports SRT-4 strut bar/ Eibach springs/ Energy Suspension sway bars/ Powder coated valve cover/ Custom catch can/ Perrin pressure pipe/ Perrin Huge front-mount intercooler/ MPX coilpack and wire heat shield/ P-werks SRT-4 tri-point rear strut tower brace/ HKS EVC 5 boost controller/ MPX clear 3rd brake light/ Euro clear corner lenses/ Mopar taillights/ Wings West Wide Body kit - seamless/ IP2 carbon fiber hood/ MPX carbon fiber foglamp covers/ 18" Motegi FF5 Hyperblack rims/ Shaved antenna/Roof Mount antenna/ E-brake boot/ Shift boot/ Custom metal floor plates/ SRT-4 gauges (air/fuel ratio, amp, oil, boost)/ Kenwood Excelon DVD 7" Flip touch-screen/ 2 X 8" Bazooka NOS tubes/ Sony Explod Amp/ SRT-4 door sills/ HVAC billet control *****/ cross-drilled, slotted rotors/ limited slip differential/PlayStation 2/GOTBOOST?Decal/

Can u guys send me some pics of ur cars SRT8188@aol.com send me em i want to see em, thinking about making website and adding all car pics, camaros,vipers,neons, alot more need to pick my favorite cars...

Quick Reply: LS1 Camaro vs Dodge SRT-4 ...which would you choose?