Sponsored by:

Headlights Stuck Up

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights Stuck Up

Ok,

I've done a search and this seems to be a new one.
I just recently took my 00 TA to the body shop to get some work done.
They replaced the front nose and had to keep the headlights up while they made some adjustments and painted, but they never removed the headlights or wiring. So they turned on my headlights and then disconnected my battery to keep them up. When they reconnected the battery they blew the 50A fuse for the headlight motor and horn. When I tried to replace the fuse it would arc to the prongs on the new connector. Tried disconnecting the battery and putting the new fuse in... no arc but when we connected the battery up it arcs at the fuse and blows it. This is a short but none of the wires to the headlights are cripped or cut to metal that I can see... Is it possible that a the headlights have a relay that is bad/stuck open? I'm just tired of having my headlights up all day long and need to fix this soon!
TIA
-CW
Old 02-27-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Thiers a manual control for each headlight look in the front on the outside of the headlight theirs a black rubber cover that says manual think ya turn it with a skrew driver or something one for each light.. That will at least get htem down
Old 02-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

You could buy 'franker' gears. They are CNC headlight motor gears so you can open and close lights properly. They're expensive at $80 and are discontinued iirc.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Actually, Crazy and ls1mojo,
This not a situation where the headlight motors are making noise or have gone kaput... this is actually an electrical problem because the fuse for the headlight motors keeps blowing... some kind of short not the motors gone bad... at least I don't think it's that...
Old 02-27-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would check the pins of the electrical connector at the lights. When I replaced my gears I looked at the connector and the pins had some corrosion on the them. Also disconnect the horns and see if you still blow the fuse.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I double checked the connectors at the lights and they are pretty much clean of corrosion, but I WD40'd them anyways just to be sure and then let them dry before reconnecting them... Also I'm having trouble reaching the horn, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to reach the connector for me, but the wires aren't caught on anything, just the connector has little wiggle room with my big hands... So that's a problem since I've blown my last 50A fuse thinking that cleaning out the connectors would do the trick... this is a nasty problem... anybody got another idea?
Old 02-27-2005, 09:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BucFan55
Ok,

I've done a search and this seems to be a new one.
I just recently took my 00 TA to the body shop to get some work done.
They replaced the front nose and had to keep the headlights up while they made some adjustments and painted, but they never removed the headlights or wiring. So they turned on my headlights and then disconnected my battery to keep them up. When they reconnected the battery they blew the 50A fuse for the headlight motor and horn. When I tried to replace the fuse it would arc to the prongs on the new connector. Tried disconnecting the battery and putting the new fuse in... no arc but when we connected the battery up it arcs at the fuse and blows it. This is a short but none of the wires to the headlights are cripped or cut to metal that I can see... Is it possible that a the headlights have a relay that is bad/stuck open? I'm just tired of having my headlights up all day long and need to fix this soon!
TIA
-CW
DO what I did, save yourself the agrivation and get the Breathless perfomance conversion. Great quality, and they are ligter than the pop-ups.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I'll bite... how much did that put you back and how much of a modification (i.e. cutting and pushing/fudging) did you have to do to get them in?
Are these things still for sale?
-CW
Old 02-28-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

They look horrid IMO... not sure on the problem though..
Old 03-09-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really don't understand a lot of the responses so far. Buy the Breathless headlights for $1000? No way, you've got to be kidding. It doesn't sound like the gears are stripped either.

As far as I know, there is one 15 or 20 amp fuse for each headlight motor. The shop should hae just pulled them to keep the lights up.

To fix your problem, I would first disconect the horn. Undo the 10mm bolts that are on the flap under the passenger side of the car. Reach in there and pull the horn wire off. Then pull the 2 Headlight door fuses. give each headlight motor a few turns manually to make sure they are not stuck. Unplug the headlight control module by the underhood fuse blocks and check for corrosion, then plug back in firmly.

NOW put the 50 amp fuse in and see what happens. If OK, keep the lights off and insert one of the smaller headlight door fuses and then cycle the headlight switch to see if it works. If OK, then do the other fuse. If everything is OK so far, then the short is going to be in your horn circuit.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Take it back to the body shop and have them to fix it. When they put that new nose on they must have pinched something in my opinion, something you might have to take the nose half off to find. If everything worked before you took it there, it's there fault. Make them fix it.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More than likely they tightened a bolt down and pinched a wire.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

My goodnesss, power hooked up--blows fuse. Its a short to ground somewhere!! Take it back to the body shop, they obviously pinched a wire.

Buy the breathless kit to fix a short to ground?
Buy new gears to fix?
Neither of these responses will remotely help you. Its like saying-Oh, your lights are stuck up? Ok then, pull the rear end, and replace with a 12 bolt. See, no relevance to the problem.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
They look horrid IMO... not sure on the problem though..
Fixed lights do not look good.

Quick Reply: Headlights Stuck Up