Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of a Trans Am v. Mustang/Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 10:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking of a Trans Am v. Mustang/Cobra

Personally, I like the look of the Trans Am better. I have never driven in a Trans Am, but have driven in a Mustang GT and I liked it. Don't know what people were talking about with the harsh ride of Mustangs, seemed to drive perfectly fine....then again we never hit too many potholes. How would you compare the ride of a Trans Am.

Also, would it be wise to buy one of these cars used? Like the Mustangs and any cheap (relatively), high HP car seem to have their share of problems. Obviously I will test drive the car before I buy it, but im sure the dealership can and probably will fix any problems with a quick and cheap solution for this reason...

Do you folks think I should go for it or look somewhere else....possibly the GTO? or over to the Blue Oval...
Old 04-11-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Addict

I agree that the Trans Am looks nicer. Hence why I have a Trans Am...

As to the ride it is a sport ride and you should expect the suspension to be stiffer than let's say a Cadillac. But over all it is not bad as far as comfort goes.

I would choose the TA. I do not care for the GTO styling even though the 05' is pretty bad ***. the 05' Mustang GT has some nice styling and the pre 05' Mustang are not bad. I would still choose a TA though.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

Trans am for sure man
Old 04-11-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Definitely Trans Am. My uncle had a 97 Mustang GT and it's like they hove no room inside and the way the car would handle, and pickup speed was very odd compared to a Trans Am or Camaro, however Mustangs do sound good. GTO's are nice but they lack a ton in the styling department, even though I personally think that someone creative enough could make the styling more aggressive. The Trans Am seems to have it all from the start with styling, power, handling, and comfort. The Trans Am isn't the "perfect" car but considering everything it's better than anything else available other than a Vette.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:33 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how about a little more info. like what years your looking at for both, your budget, the cars application and/or goal.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9ball
Personally, I like the look of the Trans Am better. I have never driven in a Trans Am, but have driven in a Mustang GT and I liked it. Don't know what people were talking about with the harsh ride of Mustangs, seemed to drive perfectly fine....then again we never hit too many potholes. How would you compare the ride of a Trans Am.

Also, would it be wise to buy one of these cars used? Like the Mustangs and any cheap (relatively), high HP car seem to have their share of problems. Obviously I will test drive the car before I buy it, but im sure the dealership can and probably will fix any problems with a quick and cheap solution for this reason...

Do you folks think I should go for it or look somewhere else....possibly the GTO? or over to the Blue Oval...

I can tell you from my experiance is that ever car handles differnt. It could be that the mustange had newer shocks. But you should definetly go and drive a Trans Am. When i was looking for a camaro I drove one salvage camaro and although it didn't seem as fast as the camaro I have now it handled a lot better, later I found out my camaro is in need of shocks and replacing the rear shocks, my camaro handles better so when I get the fronts will be so much better, so you need to drive trans-ams and mustangs and ask about the suspension.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:54 PM
12 Second Club

go with the t/a i had a 98 mustang with a supercharger on it and it was not as fast as the trans am that i have now with the heads and cam all motor is better than forced induction
Old 04-11-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went from a '00 Formula to a '01 Mustang GT and a year later I went back to a different '00 Formula. I just like the F-bodies more. They feel more like a performance car. The seating position in a Mustang is like you're sitting at a bar stool...you're up very high. In an F-body you're sunk down. Power wise the Trans Am will be a lot faster stock for stock. The '99-'04 GT's aren't too bad when you get them revving but at low RPM's they don't make much power. I haven't driven an '05 GT so I can't say anything about that new 3v motor. Styling is opinion based but I like the looks of the Trans Am more. The things I can say in favor of the Mustang is that they are built better. I'm not talking about reliability of the powertrain but rather the fit and finish and quality of the interior and exterior parts...the Mustangs are just more solid and put together better. They're also a lot cheaper. You can find TONS of '99-'04 GT's in any color and transmission combo you want all over the place and they're cheaper than a TA would be. If you want a specific TA you'll be looking around for some.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:15 PM
Teching In

I have owned 9 mustangs and i just picked up a '02 T/A today. I am more comfortable behind the wheel of the t/a than any of the mustangs ive owned over the years. I like the looks, power, handling, and all the neat options it has. I sold a very clean midnight blue 1990 5.0 hatchback LX to use as the down payment for this car. I was a little down for a few days after losing my 5.0, but after spending the weekend test driving and all of this evening cruising in my T/A i have no regrets. These cars are alot nicer than i ever gave them credit for since i am a die hard ford guy (and still am). And i hate to say this, but the mustangs ive owned sorta feel "cheap" in comparison to my T/A.

BUT....

The benefits of owning the pushrod powered mustangs are the plentiful aftermarket available for them, which also means cheap used hot rod parts. If youre wanting to build a mean street machine and not wanting to blow the bank then i say get the mustang.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:49 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

T/A-looks so much nicer
Old 04-13-2005, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never have liked the seating position is 'Stangs but I love how I sit low in my TA. Also, TA's look a lot meaner.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on the your goal with the car and what you like better. The TA will be faster.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

my dad used to have a 96 cobra. it rode ok, but it just doesn't feel near as refined as in his TA that was the same year. and my 96GT doesn't even compare to my new baby (the 2000 SS)
Old 04-13-2005, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Stangs dont handle for crap...they still have the same suspension from back in the 80's..(99-04) Not sure of the new ones tho..

It's up to you though, i think u would enjoy the T/A better, but a muscle car is a muscle car
Old 04-13-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

the 05s are a total redesign, but i dont like the looks nor the interior setup. it just doesn't feel like a stang
Old 04-13-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

i'll try and make it a little easier...since my cousin owns an 02 gt conv. and i have a 98 formula...the only positives to getting a gt mustang is cheaper by quite a bit (year for year), i like their leather more, typically sound better (although i like my cars sound better than any mustang), mustang is not comfortable for me AT ALL that is prolly the main reason i would never get one...positives for trans am/formula...much faster, 6-speed vs 5-speed, better gas mileage, weigh less (i think), bigger engine, cheaper to mod, you start out with ~300rwhp vs ~240rwhp
it's really a no brainer unless money is concerned, or you like the looks of mustangs which i do...
Old 04-13-2005, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Trans Am!
Old 04-13-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

I now own a 99 ta ws6 and used to own an 01 mustang gt. The gt was a pretty good car but about 1.5 second slower in the 1/4 then the ta. The acceleration wasn't as sprite either. Overall to me it is a decent performace car for the money.
Two positive things over the ta is that the gt has a kick *** stereo system stock, if you opt for the mach 260 system. IMHO the GM monsoon stereo is crappy. The speakers rattle and the overall system sounds like crap when turned up.
Secondly the gt has a stout 8.8 inch rear in it which is .075 shy of being the size of a GM 12 bolt rear. The ta still has the crappy 7.5 inch rear. If you were ever to hook up with ta the rear would eventually need replacing. If you are looking to make many mods this is something to consider. With the gt you can get a gt and jump from 220-240 rwhp to 300-330 rwhp with a supercharger. Weight wise the gt is kind of close to the ta from what I recall so even with a supercharger it will run about what a stock ta does out of the box.
A third gripe I have is the following: On my gt I only had the horns replaced under warranty when one tone went out.
The ta has been through two horns and quite possibly a third is going out,warped rotors,it needs a driver side power window motor, and the rear speakers are shot, the coolant level sensor is acting up also.
Seems to me like GM dropped the ball a little here.
Obviously despite all the above, look at what I still own though.
The ta outhandles the gt, but to me the driving position in the gt was a bit more comfortable. It took me a while to get used to that long dash in the ta.
I have had both cars up to 140 and the gt felt loose, while the ta feels like it was meant to drive those speeds. Another dissapointment with the ta in this area is that with speeds above 80 I get wind draft through the driver side window. I am not sure if the window needs adjusting or its the power wiindow motor that never topped out the window when it went out.
Old 04-13-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love the mustang vs f-body comparisons , I sold my fox for my Z. At first I hated the way the camaro sat , I hated the way the windsheild looked tiny compared to my fox but when I drove it I loved it .

go drive a t/a
Old 04-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Teching In

TA fo sho, i went from a 4 cyl grand am, to V8 Power! when i was looking for a car i test drove a GT, i was impressed(remember i used 2 have a grand am), then i test drove my WS6 and there was no comparison, from power to handling to comfort to looks. Personally i think that the TA is waaaaaaayy better!!

Quick Reply: Thinking of a Trans Am v. Mustang/Cobra