New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what will void the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005 | 01:20 AM
Banned

Default what will void the warranty?

im probably gettin ready to put a lid and a y pipe on my car and was wondering if it would void the warranty, and also would automatic start void the warranty to?
Old 07-15-2005 | 01:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Automatic start shouldn't void anything. As far as the lid and Y-pipe it totally depends on the dealer in which you take it to. I had a Pontiac dealer tell me to take my lid off before they'd do any warranty work on the car, but some people's dealers let them get away with a LOT. You're probably safe with the lid and Y-pipe but keep the stock pieces just incase.
Old 07-15-2005 | 03:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My dealer gave me a list of approved shops to install a supercharger or turbocharger, that would not void my warranty. I've got 12 modifications that have not voided my warranty... everything from CAI to complete exhaust, cam, and suspension work. This should be the same across the board at GM. Good Luck.
Old 07-15-2005 | 04:33 AM
On The Tree

how the hell does putting a supercharger and a bigger cam on your car NOT void the warrenty? i mean without modifing the rear-end it wont last a week of hard racing. also it wont be too hard to see when it gets towed back to the dealership what caused the problem . let alone be easy on the tranny. man, i need to find who you get your warrenty though lol i was told just an aftermarket catback would void my warrenty...?
Old 07-15-2005 | 11:41 AM
Launching!

My dealership never gave me any grief about by lid and exhaust. Your not changing any of the core components like a MAF, TB or deleting O2 sensors, so I don't they would have the right to refuse you. Call GM on them if you need to.
Old 07-15-2005 | 11:47 AM
On The Tree

I have LM catback, SLP lid, SSRA, and HAD and aftermarket MAF and it voided nothing. Same thing with a couple other friends of mine who have LS1's. You should be good to go. Thats amazing though that some of you other fellas are getting away with things like that, more power to you i suppose.
Old 07-15-2005 | 01:57 PM
SSU, come over and relax

please dont bother with the ypipe. there really isnt much to gain by putting a new one on unless you get headers. if you cant wait until then just get a cutout.

search about the ypipe and you will find many cases where people are advised against getting one before headers.
Old 07-16-2005 | 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

This should help out with warranty work.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm
Old 07-16-2005 | 01:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rameon01
how the hell does putting a supercharger and a bigger cam on your car NOT void the warrenty? i mean without modifing the rear-end it wont last a week of hard racing. also it wont be too hard to see when it gets towed back to the dealership what caused the problem . let alone be easy on the tranny. man, i need to find who you get your warrenty though lol i was told just an aftermarket catback would void my warrenty...?
True. If your mods can traced to the problem, not covered.
Old 07-18-2005 | 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

i had a few mods and my dealer never said squat.

the serv mngr knew my rear and DS taking a **** were from me abusing it and it was covered.
Old 07-19-2005 | 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DD966
My dealer gave me a list of approved shops to install a supercharger or turbocharger, that would not void my warranty. I've got 12 modifications that have not voided my warranty... everything from CAI to complete exhaust, cam, and suspension work. This should be the same across the board at GM. Good Luck.
No offense, but unless you know someone at the GM dealer or they are off their rocker I'm not buying this. You're telling me a GM dealer told you that you could put a turbo or a blower on your car and not void the warranty? Are you sure they didn't mean you could still have the warranty on non-powertrain parts? I'm not trying to be an *** or anything but you can't have a 450rwhp F-body and expect GM to pay for your blown tranny. They can't void your warranty on the whole car for powertrain modifications, but powertrain modifications directly effect the powertrain and they can void that. I know some dealers let their customers get away with a lot of parts but forced induction is too much to believe.
Old 07-19-2005 | 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

I had my powertrain warranty voided by the GM regional representative for only drag radials, lid, and a cut-out. That's it. If they really wanted to be ******** about it, technically just a K&N air-filter could void your warranty. Best advice I could give you is de-mod before bringing your car in for any warranty work (unless it's like a window motor, or something along those lines). I spent over $4k in repair costs on a new car with less than 30k miles because I didn't de-mod. ALSO, ALWAYS reset your car's computer before bringing it in. Hell they can void your warranty on a 100% STOCK car if they can show you were abusing it. Also, most dealers will do anything they can not to pay for your warranty work, and will look for any reason they can as to why you should pay. Don't give them a reason to deny your claim.

Last edited by Zoltan; 07-19-2005 at 06:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2005 | 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's why I've consulted my dealership before my mods (I have the 10yrs/100,000mi warranty). I haven't purchased drag radials for that very reason. They told me "absolutely no PCM mods or nitrous". Everything else was on a "check with them first" basis.
If my rear goes, I'm replacing it with a 12 bolt anyway
Old 07-20-2005 | 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

i had a spare set of rims for my DRs when i went in for warranty work.

i always kept it clean and made sure there was no rubber in my wheelwells.

the serv. mngr. was cool but he wasnt stupid.though i was friendly with him i never insulted his intelligence.hes been around this type of thing for a long time like most service writers are.
Old 07-21-2005 | 12:00 AM
Launching!

Not to be a jerk but how much warranty is left on a 00? Unless you have the extended warranty, you still have one?
Old 07-21-2005 | 12:24 AM
Banned

i bought my 00 used and bought a 12month 12thousand mile warranty
Old 07-21-2005 | 02:12 AM
Launching!

Check the warranty carefully. Many parts aren't covered anyway. For example if brake systems are covered but rotors aren't, then adding slotted rotors wouldn't matter. Thats just an example. I have a extended indefinate warranty on my 95 SS. It covers major items but not alot of other items. So many mods wouldn't matter much anyway. Just food for thought.
Old 07-21-2005 | 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Default Dealership Confused Me!

Went to my local Chevy dealership yesterday. Talked to three separate individuals (without each one knowing I did this) about an extended warranty on my '02 Z. One guy said every one of the 8 mods I planned (nothing to powertrain) was o.k. by him. The service rep (whose opinion I highly regard due to some expert repairs/professionalism) said even wide tires might cause GM to void the warranty. The third was in between the other two and COULDN'T even tell me if a flowmaster cat back was permitted. Maybe he didn't WANT TO give me an answer. Walked out as fast as I could. Do not drive the Z that much, so I will opt not getting the extended warranty.

Good luck to the rest of you folks.

Steve
Old 07-24-2005 | 10:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Zoltan
I had my powertrain warranty voided by the GM regional representative for only drag radials, lid, and a cut-out. That's it. If they really wanted to be ******** about it, technically just a K&N air-filter could void your warranty.
Also, most dealers will do anything they can not to pay for your warranty work, and will look for any reason they can as to why you should pay. Don't give them a reason to deny your claim.

Technically any modification at all can void your warranty,it just depends on the individual dealer if they will cover a modified vehicle under warranty.

As far as looking for reasons to turn down a warranty claim,I have not seen that in places I have worked.

Quick Reply: what will void the warranty?