New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP bolt on SFC's

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005 | 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default SLP bolt on SFC's

Has anyone used SLP's bolt on SFC's? I like how they are bolt on since I dont know how to weld and dont want to pay someone to have them installed. They look real nice but I thought I would come on here and see if anyone has an opinion about them before I buy them.
Old 07-25-2005 | 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

Yes indeed, they are top notch! I have had them on about 3 years now and when they arrived they were 'beefier' than I could have ever imagined. There were absolutely no issues with the install as they bolted in with all the necessary hardware being included and use pre-existing holes under the car. They strengthen the chassis from front to back and side to side which is much better than most sub-frame connectors. Since they tie in to the mounting point for the stock tunnel brace - I would suggest to you and anyone using these - to go ahead and upgrade to an aftermarket tunnel brace as well as I did. I used the BMR Tunnel Brace/Drive-shaft Loop combo which provided chassis stiffening as well as a DS Loop for the track. Everything is rock solid and I have had no issues - and also have no rattles or flex in the car as well. Some will argue about weld-ins being better - however, the only way I believe that could be possible is if you first used a double-diamond design like the SLP's or Kenny Browns and then welded them in - and even then - that would all rely on the skill of the person doing the welding as I have seen regular subframes that were welded in very poorly which really diminishes their effectiveness. Good luck!
Old 07-25-2005 | 03:22 PM
11 Second Club

SFC's should be welded in.... that is all...
Old 07-25-2005 | 09:28 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator
20 Year Member

Check out the Handling & Braking section:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes-16/

The weld-in vs bolt-in debate is a long one....
Buy what you are more comfortable with.
Bolt-in will work fine.

Here is a good install write-up for SLP SFCs:
http://users3.ev1.net/~cnl1/firehawk/subframe/index.htm

Do a search in the Handling & Braking section (use the Advanced Search). You'll find plenty of good info there
Old 07-26-2005 | 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have heard the general idea is that welding will keep the suspension dynamics a lil more tighter versus the bolt ins...i would agree with jaberwaki on this one..weld em..
Old 07-26-2005 | 02:37 AM
Launching!

I have the bolt-on SFCs I definately noticed a difference. car felt a lot better, like the susp was doing the work and there was less body creaking. I'm sure welding is better but bolt-on will definately help!
Old 07-26-2005 | 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

thats a good way to say it right there...

bolt in is better then none at all ..... but weld in will be even better
Old 07-26-2005 | 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone in LA or San luis Obispo areas know of a good place to have them welded in? ive read some posts where they havent been welded in correctly and I dont want to waste my money...
Old 07-26-2005 | 02:06 PM
Launching!

I live in SLO. I just have bolt-in. I tried central coast spring in santa maria but they said their welders were too HD for that type of thing. Maybe Heacock in Arroyo Grande (10-15mins south of SLO). There has to be a shop more in the LA area. I'd check the sponsor lists for that area.