Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100 Octane??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 02:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 100 Octane??

Would running 100 octane gas every now and then affect my engine in either of my two cars. I was thinking about doing it to see what type of horsepower gains I can get out of it, but I just wanted to make sure that it wouldnt screw up my cars engines at all. I normally run 91, but I wanted to give 100 a shot. Is it noticeable or just not worth it at all??
Old 05-22-2006, 04:42 AM
Staging Lane

In Sweden we always run 98 or 99 (Shell V-power) octane. Doubt it'll make more ponnies, but it feels better to give you're engine just the best it could get

95 octane is the least we could fill it up with overhere...
Old 05-22-2006, 04:58 AM
Staging Lane

no it will not screw up your car and it will make a little diff in hp I have not done it in my camaro yet but i did in my grand prix GTP made it a little faster in the 1/8 what are you needing it for you going to dyno or just going to do it for the hell of it
Old 05-22-2006, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Putting 100 octane in a stock compression/stock timed engine is completely useless, and you'll gain no power from it. The only exception I can think of is running a gargantuan nitrous shot. Save your money & use 91.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's correct............ octane does not add horsepower, it allows you to tune for more power by slowing the burn rate and reducing the chances of detonation.

Adding higher octane fuel will not add power unless your car is detonating now with the fuel you use.
Old 05-25-2006, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if its race gas it might add alil hp. i know my oxygenated leaded vp race gas, makes a noticible power increas in my dirtbike.. but i also tried "octane booster" in a v6 car i noticed it, but the only reason it might of ran better was i think it cleaned my injectors cus adding injector cleaner had the same effect... and gas station octanes can be different station to station even if they both say 93 one could be better quality given octane rating is derived from to sources ron and mon octanes, i forget wich ones the good one but they take both ratings add them together then divide by 2. so you could be getting shittier gas even if its advertised as a higher octane, reasons higher octane might be better - burns evenly and keeps burning even after exiting the engine , it runs alil cooler in the combustion chamber, its easier on your engine internals for the even, slower burn .. but id say keep with the 93 for daily basis, if your going to race ... id wait for mods , for the price of the race gas it isnt worth the gains. the **** for my dirtbike is 40$ for 5 gallons i notice it, but i only use a gallon after over an hour so its not so bad on the gas mileage.. try some "octane booster or fuel injector cleaner if you like or even notice the gains then maybe try higher octane or keep using booster, its usually cheaper then higher octane pump gas.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:23 AM
On The Tree

Wink

You are wasting your money. 93 is just fine our cars run great on this, if you must 94 is okay also.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

You actually want to run the lowest octane you can get away with that won't produce detonation. Higher octane is harder to ignite, which is why it is used in high-compression or boosted applications...
Old 05-27-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah it would be basically a wate of money to put it in your car unless your car was tuned for it, thats the only way u might see any performance gains.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kaell
In Sweden we always run 98 or 99 (Shell V-power) octane. Doubt it'll make more ponnies, but it feels better to give you're engine just the best it could get

95 octane is the least we could fill it up with overhere...

UHH Shell V-power is 93 octane isn't it? I fill my car up with it everytime and it says 93 octane.....

Quick Reply: 100 Octane??