Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions to make concerning upgrades-long

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions to make concerning upgrades-long

Hello everyone. I don't post on this site very often 'cause I usually find my answers by searching or lurking about. However, after much exhaustive research, I am still confused about what direction I should go in regards to performance upgrades. My goal, for now, is to make around 500 RWHP. I know that I can go with H/C/LT/Tune or a Turbo/SC kit/tune or Nitrous/tune or any combination of the previous. There are many options available to do this as some of you have demonstrated. My budget would be around $7K. I have shopped around and I have discovered that there are as many choices to make as picking out a box of cereal at my local grocery store.

For right now, my car only has a Lid/filter and Cat-back. It is fast but like most I want faster. I don't want a rough idle or for the car to be any louder than it currently is while scooting around town or in 6th gear on the highway. What I do want is for my car to go from mild to extremely wild with the throttle floored. This car is my daily driver and I do not plan on taking this car to a drag strip. I just want to surprise anyone who has tweaked their car as well.

I was leaning heavily towards Nitrous since by nature these kits go from mild to extremely wild with the push of a button. I also like the fact that these kits are a lot cheaper than other power adders. I know that I would need to upgrade my fuel pump and/or injectors as well in order to do this and will do so when the time comes. I will also upgrade my 10 bolt and clutch as well.

What would you guys recommend if you had $7K for performance mods? I would like to know what combo packages you have used (or are currently using) and the ballpark price you paid please. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would try posting this in the internal engine or FI forum threads, maybe both. The people that will best help you with something like this rarely come in this forum and mostly hang out in those more advanced forums.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

i agree with spink P

If you plan on it being a DD and enjoying the power and having the car for many years to come. I'd go N/A. Forget nitrous.. It isn't a daily toy to play with. Turbos and sc's well ive yet to be convinced of their longevity etc. not to mention the kit themselves cost what your limit is.

Stick to the heads cam route.. for 7k you wont be able to afford the power and the rear end needed to handle it. Settle for 400ish and a rearend maybe..

Id go cam and bolt ons with rearend. even then if you dont do the install you wont be able to afford it with 7k to spend. Installation is $$$.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Staging Lane

I appreciate the comments. I did just notice that I posted on the wrong forum. I agree with the 400 RWHP range and I have found two vendors that can give me that, installed, for $5200. This stuff adds up quick once you factor all variables into the equation.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Resident

Yea. It adds up in a hurry. Just make sure you get the supporting mods... Im kinda sorry I didnt go with a rearend earlier.

Early on you tend to want performance and power and numbers.. its only later when you see what that **** can do, that you get scared and wish you had the rearend
Old 05-17-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

AFR's / cam / valvetrain / other misc - you should be able to get for about 4K for everything you need not to mention you could get 450HP easily with that - do it yourslef and spend the extra 1200 getting a clutch or a tune - and then a rear.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1IMPULSE
AFR's / cam / valvetrain / other misc - you should be able to get for about 4K for everything you need not to mention you could get 450HP easily with that - do it yourslef and spend the extra 1200 getting a clutch or a tune - and then a rear.

Sounds like a good combo. I noticed that SLP just teamed up with AFR and they now have a 520 HP package that includes H/C. Cost for this package is around $2500 w/o shorter push rods. I wish that I had the time to do it my self. Unfortunately, this is my primary ride and I work all of the time and since this would be my first attempt at a job like this, I have little margin for error. I have a local shop that specializes in installs like this. Plus they can tune it as well. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dip Stick
Yea. It adds up in a hurry. Just make sure you get the supporting mods... Im kinda sorry I didnt go with a rearend earlier.

Early on you tend to want performance and power and numbers.. its only later when you see what that **** can do, that you get scared and wish you had the rearend

I have learned a lot from you guys over the past year but I always try to know what I'm talking about before I open my trap. I have learned that the stock rear is a weak point in these cars so I will address this eventually. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

vengeance racing.......they can hook you up...
Old 05-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
vengeance racing.......they can hook you up...

I'll be sure to check them out. Thanks.