New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Camaro Z28 wont start, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 Camaro Z28 wont start, need help!

Well this is what happen...

I tried to put in a Bazooka Basstube myself. So i grounded the Tube, then wired the Power (red wire) to the Battery. I also did the speaker wires to the factory speaker's. So the BassTube didnt work after all this, so i removed it, with all the wires that i added. Then when i tried to start the car, it wouldnt start at all or even attempt to. You hear no noise, like its tryin to start at all. The stereo, window's, mirror's and gages work when i turn the ignition, but when i try to start the car. The fuel gauge goes back down to Empty, the miles gauge turns off, but the security light, service engine soon light, and the stereo stay on. I did remove the factory stereo, to see if i could possibly wire the Basstube str8 to the back of it, but couldnt. So i hooked it back up. I asked this on other site and 1 guy told me, that the car may have put itself into a safe mode. To try and jump it.

So ive already tried jumpin it, but that didnt work. I talked with the local dealership and they told me to turn the ignition on, and leave it for 30 to 45 minutes. That should let the computer recognize the key, or reset itself. somethin like that, dont remember correctly. Well i did that, and still didnt work. So then we tried another thing. I locked the door's then opened them 3 minutes later with the key, not the remote, and once i put the key in the ignition, the alarm goes off. At 1 point, i just sat down in the car and kinda hit the steering wheel while i was going down to sit, and the alarm went off.

Could it be that the alarm system is thinkin someone is trying to steal the car? and has shut the car down.

could i have a wire grounding itself out or somethin?
Old 05-24-2007, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Maybe you have a loose battery cable...sounds similar to what happened to me.
Old 05-25-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

Well my father just talked to some guy, and he told us to check the "starter fuse" that it may be blown. So we tested the fuse, and it wasnt givin out any power or showin power on the volt meter, or power meter. Im really not sure what its called, but im sure you know what im talkin about.

So that may just be the problem, becuz other then that. Everything else on the car seems to work just fine, and every other fuse isnt blown.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Addict

Well we tried new "starter and ignition fuses" and the car still wont turn on. So we checked the battery cables once again, and found the Positive cable to be loose. So we fixed that problem and it still wont start up.

Ive been lookin threw the owner's manual and only thing i can think of is the PASS KEY II. That say's it will shut the starter and fuel system down. I cant think of any other problem, and someone else on another board mentioned about a dealer installed theft deterrent. Where i would need to pass a card to enable vehicle startin, and when i disconnected the battery is set that back to ON. That just may be the problem.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

VATS Vehicle Anti Theft Security is my bet
Old 05-26-2007, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

That's what me and my farther are thinkin to, that the security system may have either thought someone was trying to steal the car or it was automatically turned on, when i re-connected the battery. The car has TheftLock, and that is the only thing we can come up to be the problem. Everything electrical works, we've replaced fuses, fixed the battery cables and made sure they were on correctly.

Im going to go ahead and just take the car into the dealership Tuesday, and see what the problem is. Thanks for the help guy's.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

check the fuse panel for bad fuse
Old 05-26-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds like a vats problem to me. Somehow during your install you must have tripped something.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by waldershrek
Sounds like a vats problem to me. Somehow during your install you must have tripped something.
yea, that's what were beginning to think is the problem. we've done everything else we could think of and the car still wont start up.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:28 PM

Ok, first of all..hello I'm new..I'm from Panama but I'm studying in Chile...
I'm guessing your problem is quite simple...as you all must know or should know your Camaro has a very complex electronic system..when you tried to install whatever you tried to install you computer believed that you were trying to steal the car so it shut down, is like a security system..it would happen everytime you try to put something new in your car...you have to work the computer first make it believe is an original component..rigth now you'll have to go to your dealer or to some workshop that can codify your computer again... I believe thats the problem...
I don't know if I explain myself...sorry for the poor english..
Old 05-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Yes you have an anti theft problem. I only know of one quick fix (I'm a heavy guy at my dealership not trim, your problem would be considered trim).

1. Disconnect the battery negative terminal for one hour, then reconnect and try to start the car. Make sure its disconnected for at least ONE FULL HOUR, not 40 mins, not 59 mins, AT LEAST 60. This resets the ECM and PCM and will sometimes clear the current anti theft DTC, however, the DTC will be moved to history DTC, but can be cleared with a scanner or will clear on its own after 100 passed key cycles.

Passed that, the only thing you can do is take it to the dealership. Thats where we will have to turn the key on for an hour, call in to an automated machine that has security codes for the cars, give our dealership code and then reset it on your car (often though the radio). Sometimes to we will do remote or pass though updates to your car though the tech II as well and will clear out the DTC.

Good luck with your problem, let us know how Tuesday goes for you. Should be a quick fix at the dealership if it comes to that.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1998SilverZ28
Yes you have an anti theft problem. I only know of one quick fix (I'm a heavy guy at my dealership not trim, your problem would be considered trim).

1. Disconnect the battery negative terminal for one hour, then reconnect and try to start the car. Make sure its disconnected for at least ONE FULL HOUR, not 40 mins, not 59 mins, AT LEAST 60. This resets the ECM and PCM and will sometimes clear the current anti theft DTC, however, the DTC will be moved to history DTC, but can be cleared with a scanner or will clear on its own after 100 passed key cycles.

Passed that, the only thing you can do is take it to the dealership. Thats where we will have to turn the key on for an hour, call in to an automated machine that has security codes for the cars, give our dealership code and then reset it on your car (often though the radio). Sometimes to we will do remote or pass though updates to your car though the tech II as well and will clear out the DTC.

Good luck with your problem, let us know how Tuesday goes for you. Should be a quick fix at the dealership if it comes to that.
Well didnt get to take the car in yesterday, got busy with work and im busy again today. On lunch break right now, but i went ahead and tried what you said last night and that didnt work either. So im sure, ill just have to take the car into the dealership and have them work on it.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

Finally got the car fixed last tuesday, and well the dealership had to replace the entire ignition switch, all new key. they said they did everything else and nothin worked, so they had to do that.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Finally got the car fixed last tuesday, and well the dealership had to replace the entire ignition switch, all new key. they said they did everything else and nothin worked, so they had to do that.
Cool, thanks for the update!

Quick Reply: 02 Camaro Z28 wont start, need help!