Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

noise in engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 07:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noise in engine

my car is making a rattling noise i think its a valve but not sure is there anyway that i can find out what it is. No codes have come up but i just keep hearing it so any help would be appreciated thanks
Old 05-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Launching!

Hey man, you might post this in the LS1 internal engine tech section. Probablly will get more hits.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Does the noise follow the rpm?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I highly doubt its a valve, if anything like that, its going to be a lifter. But even then i doubt it.
Like mentioned above, does is follow the RPM's? does it only occur when warm or cold? A little more info is needed. If it only happens when its cold, its probably piston slap.

But as for a place to start, make sure you dont have any exhaust leaks. Another easy thing to check for is to pull the valve covers and make sure your pushrods are staight.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Launching!

okay it doesn't follow the rpm range its only happend every now and then. It doesn't do it until its warm. I'm just bought the car a month ago and still trying to work everything out because it seems like it makes a new noise every week And as far as exhaust leak it rattles but i'm pretty sure theres no leak but not sure i'm getting it replaced as soon as my new cat back comes in so if thats it i'll have it fix in bout a week.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

if it rattles check out your cats. when i bought my car there was an exhaust rattle that i only heard when below 1000 rpm when the motor starts to vibrate... it slowly got a little worse and before i got the car home (1000 mile drive, new york to tennessee) the SES light came on. code was for the cats "catalyst effeciency below threshold" i forget the code#... the cats are warrantied for like 8 years or something.

these cars make all kinds of noises... i had to get used to my first fbody, on my second now.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Launching!

already had the cats replaces that was the first things that went out on my car
Old 05-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds like pinging to me. Run a bottle of octane booster through it for a tank and see if that makes a difference. Mine is pinging madly and I can't find a cure for it. Am going to try a cooler thermostat and see if that helps.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:00 PM
Teching In

if it rattles kind of like a loose exhaust heatshield it could be your idler pulley, if its more of a tapping sound it could be a bent pushrod
Old 05-31-2007, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Hmm.. I had a nice rattle for about a month aswell.
My race shop told me it was the transmission, (just by lsitening to it)
It nearly drove me crazy listening to it at idle, but the second you put your foot into the throttle it would go away! Arg it drove me nuts till my buddy crawled up underneath and slightly bent a heatshield up towards the car.

Made me feel pretty dumb.. hah, At least I didn't end up pullin the tranny.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:41 PM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by squirts1

these cars make all kinds of noises... i had to get used to my first fbody, on my second now.
Lol. Amen, brudda. I'm in the same situation, and it's hard to discern between genuine mechanical issues causing noises and just typical F-body sound effects...
Old 06-01-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FootLbs
Hmm.. I had a nice rattle for about a month aswell.
My race shop told me it was the transmission, (just by lsitening to it)
It nearly drove me crazy listening to it at idle, but the second you put your foot into the throttle it would go away! Arg it drove me nuts till my buddy crawled up underneath and slightly bent a heatshield up towards the car.

Made me feel pretty dumb.. hah, At least I didn't end up pullin the tranny.

Good idea, check the heat shields to make sure they arnt banging on the floor board or the y-pipe. Also check back by when the exhaust bends over the axle, it could be rubbing on something back there as well.

As for it being an idler pulley....i dont think thats it, that would most likely cause a squeek, not a rattle.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dreadnaught
if it rattles kind of like a loose exhaust heatshield it could be your idler pulley, if its more of a tapping sound it could be a bent pushrod

If it was a bent pushrod, the tap would be there no matter what temp the motor is at, and it would obvouisly follow the RPMs- as would a bad lifter.