Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you put your FPSS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where do you put your FPSS?

I was going to install my FPSS right off the fuel rail like is typically done, but I ran across an install pic here somewhere the other day that had it after the fuel solenoid and that made a bit more sense to me. Just looking for more info on where everyone has their FPSS installed?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If it's after the fuel solenoid, it's never going to see pressure, thus never close the circuit, thus never energize the system.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to be honest with you.... If it were me, I'd mount the thing in the bottom of my trash can.

I hate those things.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

I would install the FPSS on the fuel rail with the supplied manifold then run your line from the manifold to the fuel noid. This is how it's typically installed.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 on the trash can...
Old 09-17-2010, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, I wasn't going to install one but it was in the kit so why not. I just figured the typical was off the rail as suggested, but I saw the one install with it after the noid which kind of makes sense. If the fuel noid gets plugged or doesn't open, it won't allow the nitrous noid to work. I would think though that a -3an running to a fuel jet would still be enough of a restriction to allow the switch to see pressure. I mean, if it's not going to see any pressure, then your fuel rail won't have pressure either.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOl.. For you guys not liking the fpss. I understand where you are coming from but, It saved our motor 2 weekends ago.. I know alot of people hate on the fpss but truth is its cheap insurance and it works just like it is suppose to when set properly.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

gillbot,
The fuel pressure safety switch is designed to keep the system from activating in the event of fuel pump failure. So it needs to be in the fuel feed before the fuel solenoid.

The only thing there is to save the motor from if the system went lean is a lean cut off switch. Dyno Tune offers a nice one. However if you are not going to wore it to a wide band dont waste your time and money.

The best preventive is to make you are using a good quality solenoid designed for todays fuels and good wiring connections.
Dave
Old 09-17-2010, 09:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

an air compressor and DVOM will make the set-up of the FPSS a little easier.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

My fpss is right before it goes into the reg. Then off to the noid.

I got a good question..

If you feel the fpss is faulty, can you just hook the two wires together and the fpss is now unhooked and the kit work ok?
Old 09-17-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 912 Likes on 652 Posts

So most people don't use a FPSS?

I am using all HSW stuff, (sorry nitro daves)microedge plus, interface, wideband O2, etc.

Is using a FPSS going to cause problems? If so how?

Is using one overkill, if there is such a thing?

Thanks for any input. I am wiring up my nitrous kit at the moment.

Jason
Old 09-18-2010, 07:26 AM
11 Second Club

I think the biggest problem i've seen with FPSS's is that people don't take the time to set them properly.

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
gillbot,
The fuel pressure safety switch is designed to keep the system from activating in the event of fuel pump failure. So it needs to be in the fuel feed before the fuel solenoid.

The only thing there is to save the motor from if the system went lean is a lean cut off switch. Dyno Tune offers a nice one. However if you are not going to wore it to a wide band dont waste your time and money.

The best preventive is to make you are using a good quality solenoid designed for todays fuels and good wiring connections.
Dave
Dave,

That was my thought but seeing that picture got me thinking. That's where I had it installed and where i'll likely leave it but I had to ask. Never really thought of putting it there to be honest, it just sparked my curiosity.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:47 AM
10 Second Club

How do you set a fpss propperly? I have an adjustable one and I think it comes pre set at 5.5 psi.

Were should they be set at in relation to the fuel psi going to the plate?
Old 09-18-2010, 12:41 PM
11 Second Club

I would say you should monitor your fuel pressure during a run, then use an air compressor to adjust it but i'll let the "pro's" chime in.

Mine came pre-set at 50psi, at idle my pressure is at like 62psi but ive never checked it during a WOT blast so I don't know how far it drops off.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
LOl.. For you guys not liking the fpss. I understand where you are coming from but, It saved our motor 2 weekends ago.. I know alot of people hate on the fpss but truth is its cheap insurance and it works just like it is suppose to when set properly.
Can't the controller save the motor too if the pump or pressure **** the bed? I mean mine is set to stop spraying if it gets lean at 12.5 or rich at 10.5.

I know what's coming next, if you trust your wideband. Well I would trust it more than I would the FPSS and since it's good enough to count on form my N/A runs.

Just sayin'... I don't have near the experience a lot of you do with Nitrous so I'd be interested to hear what you feel.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Mighta been one of my pics. The noid is a NX Lightning, it has a flow through port, so it can be on "other side" of the fuel noid. For my application it was the cleanest install option, and worked fine. I eventually ditched the FPSS for an AFR shutdown built in to the Trick Performance V Guage.

Below is an 1/8 mile pass (NA) with fuel pressure being logged from the far side of the noid. Racetronics pump, new fuel filter got as low as 47 PSI upper RPM of first gear. The pump recovers on the shift, but you can see if your FPSS is set for around 45 PSI, one could dip into the window for the FPSS to shut down the nitrous during a pass.

FP PSI far right second batch of 4 from the top PIDs logged in magenta

Last edited by Beer99C5; 09-18-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Nope, that wasn't the pic I saw but great info there!!

I was thinking of setting mine for ~40 psi anyway. Many FPSS's come pre-set at 50 psi and I figured that would be a bit high. That could be why most people ditch them, they leave them set at 50 and they'll drop off the N2O during a pass when pressure drops.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:54 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I installed mine in the trash like many/most other people.